Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe

Just wondering. Feel free to comment.

I should edit this to a tech level huh? Okay, who has had experience with primer and weather....does primer stand a chance against the elements being that it is so pourous?

[Modified by Spade, 3:04 PM 1/21/2003]
Old 01-21-2003, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe (Spade)

post a pic of your car and maybe it will be easier to decide depending on your wheels and other exterior mods
Old 01-21-2003, 01:28 PM

Depends why primered? If the car has pink paint or mismatched body parts or it is teal like mine then yes primer is better. For those reasons I vote yes.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:30 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry! Sounds ghetto to me, but if that's what you want, go for it. O.D. green would be better...
Old 01-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Sorry! Sounds ghetto to me, but if that's what you want, go for it. O.D. green would be better...
I am ghetto Would be followed by a Macco paint job down the road. (Black of course)
Old 01-21-2003, 02:09 PM

I wouldn't waste my time primering a perfectly good paint job.

Everytime I see someone with a primered car, it tells me that they are either too cheap or too lazy to get their car painted. If you're going to get your car painted down the road, I suggest that you strip and primer your car then, not now.

Anyways, primered means that the car is fast
Old 01-21-2003, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe (fowler y0!)

Everytime I see someone with a primered car, it tells me that they are either too cheap or too lazy to get their car painted. If you're going to get your car painted down the road, I suggest that you strip and primer your car then, not now.

Lazy here. But would also be motivation to get the paint job done.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:11 PM

just go flat black
Old 01-21-2003, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe (GTIman1212)

Please don't prime your car up and not paint it. IMO it's ugly and you'll have to sand the primer again before you paint therefore making more work for yourself.

Also don't go to macco, they suck.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe (The G2 Racer)

Please don't prime your car up and not paint it. IMO it's ugly and you'll have to sand the primer again before you paint therefore making more work for yourself.

Also don't go to macco, they suck.
I am not looking for something perfect....just functional black.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:18 PM
HT White Ops

I am ghetto Would be followed by a Macco paint job down the road. (Black of course)
Black is beautiful!

Just remember that primer is meant to be sprayed on and painted over; the sooner the better. If you let the primer sit on your ride, baking in the sun for too long, it WILL oxidize and you WILL have to sand it ALL off and start over again before painting it.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am lazy so I will primer just before I make the run to Macco.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:25 PM
HT White Ops

I am lazy so I will primer just before I make the run to Macco.
You're being very intractable about this primer thing. You pullin' our leg?
Old 01-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe.....

I want a black car again (miss my HX).....I have always hated red (current). Now that my mirrors are silver (trash cans in small alleys suck) I am even more motivated to make the car black.

Quickly too.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Primer absorbs something like 60% of it's weight in moisture. Primer doesn't no protect the body from the elements, that's the paint's job. The primer etches, seals, and creates a good surface to paint on.

Why would you want to ruin a perfect finish?? If you do, just sand through the clearcoat, keeping the base coat, and use a primer sealer over that.

Your best bet would be to use a flat single stage urethane and wetsand it with 1200 grit to get rid of any shine and make it look smooth. This will protect your car, be a flat color, and get rid of any risk to hurting the body.

[Modified by Emerica, 3:44 PM 1/21/2003]
Old 01-21-2003, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont primer it. I would rather roll around in a faded/bad OEM paint job than in primer. The primer they sell in spray cans is not compatible with industrial paint, so you WILL need to remove it before you get your car sprayed. This will end up costing you more money. Your car will look like a piece of charcoal and more than likey your original paint will show in minor spots.

If you decide to primer it flat black go with Epoxy primer from Dupont or PPG.Epoxy primer will withstand the elements way better than krylon. Buy some from a paint shop or something and use a gun. You can maybe rent a gun w/air compressor or buy one from wal-mart and then return it

bottom line: Dont do it unless you have the proper equipment and proffesional paint. Money could be better spent somewhere else.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe (Dominican_Kid)

dont primer it. I would rather roll around in a faded/bad OEM paint job than in primer. The primer they sell in spray cans is not compatible with industrial paint, so you WILL need to remove it before you get your car sprayed. This will end up costing you more money. Your car will look like a piece of charcoal and more than likey your original paint will show in minor spots.

If you decide to primer it flat black go with Epoxy primer from Dupont or PPG.Epoxy primer will withstand the elements way better than krylon. Buy some from a paint shop or something and use a gun. You can maybe rent a gun w/air compressor or buy one from wal-mart and then return it

bottom line: Dont do it unless you have the proper equipment and proffesional paint. Money could be better spent somewhere else.
word....................i agree
Old 01-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe (viCeVerSa)

true, the primer in the spray cans doesn't have lead like it used to, thanks to environmentalists. They took it out in the 60's, and since then, spray primer is pretty much a good excuse to waste money. It's ok for small areas if you cover with a sealer, but bad for an entire care.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe (Emerica)

i was going to do this to my coupe after an accident but i didnt b/c of fear of the elements up in new england, i still might paint flat black though... i think if youre car has a flat black paint w/ the license plates covered so they dont reflect either, it will basically be stealth to radar, light and radar gets absorbed by your car rather than reflected... i could be wrong but thats something to think about.

i am driving around w/out my front plate on and i have flat black front fenders, i dont think cops are getting speed readings on me when clocking from the front... there have been a few incidents where i flew by a speed trap at like 75-80mph in a 55 zone and they either didnt even try to stop me, or they stopped me and just gave me a $40 ticket for improper plates.

i dont think that would work for the back of a hatchback though b/c the hatch glass is perpendicular to the ground and would reflect the radar back to the gun... where as a coupe is so angled it would send the waves up into the sky.

[Modified by euclid, 11:10 PM 1/21/2003]
Old 01-21-2003, 05:49 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend has a black primered coupe.....G..H..E..T..T..O.. He posts on this site too, it's poison witht the h22.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe (slomofo)

My friend has a black primered coupe.....G..H..E..T..T..O.. He posts on this site too, it's poison witht the h22.
yes it's fugly as of now.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lazy here. But would also be motivation to get the paint job done.
Spade, if your looking for a decent, cheap paint job, AllPro in San Diego painted a few of my friends cars and they came out pretty damn good for a $400 paint job.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:46 PM
New User

Default Re: Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe (euclid)

i am driving around w/out my front plate on and i have flat black front fenders, i dont think cops are getting speed readings on me when clocking from the front... there have been a few incidents where i flew by a speed trap at like 75-80mph in a 55 zone and they either didnt even try to stop me, or they stopped me and just gave me a $40 ticket for improper plates.

]
ya know... Ive had a certi-fit hood on the front of my car (bought the car wrecked.. then it was wrecked again and i ran outta money till recently) for the last year, and ive noticed the same thing. The hood is the factory primer that came on it, and its oxidised really bad. Neither the bumper nor fenders are painted either. But i just cant take the primered front end anymore.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe (euclidEH3)

i am driving around w/out my front plate on and i have flat black front fenders, i dont think cops are getting speed readings on me when clocking from the front... there have been a few incidents where i flew by a speed trap at like 75-80mph in a 55 zone and they either didnt even try to stop me, or they stopped me and just gave me a $40 ticket for improper plates. ]

ya know... Ive had a certi-fit hood on the front of my car (bought the car wrecked.. then it was wrecked again and i ran outta money till recently) for the last year, and ive noticed the same thing. The hood is the factory primer that came on it, and its oxidised really bad. Neither the bumper nor fenders are painted either. But i just cant take the primered front end anymore.

so you havnt gotten pulled over in a few instances when you were blatantly speeding then? i am seriously trying to find out if this works. nice name btw

[Modified by euclid, 1:59 AM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-21-2003, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe (euclid)

By the mere fact that all of these people are telling you not to primer it, should make you want to primer it. Be your own leader spade and follow your own style, innovate never imitate. Even if it turns out bad at least you had the ***** to take a risk and there is a certain honor in that.. Don't waste your time with the Krylon crap, if your serious about the black you can email me, I can get the paint your looking for

Quick Reply: Curious how everyone feels. Black primered Coupe