Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Curious about crankshaft pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about crankshaft pulleys

So this is my first time on a Honda forum as I am a new Honda D series owner. I have a good start with a fresh rebuild on a d16y8. I'm a middle class guy so it is going to be a little while before I can cam the vehicle and forge the internals. I have come to the end of the list of things that I can bolt on to mod the motor. I have read a ridiculous amount of forums leaning towards and against putting lightweight pulleys or a harmonic damper pulley on. I've decided that I'm going to do one or the other and I am pretty strong headed when it comes to doing things my way. So I would be very interested in hearing opinions on which I should do and the reasons for doing one or the other.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Curious about crankshaft pulleys

dont bother with either. zero benefit.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Not worth it.

"Bolt on" a turbo. Be happy.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:41 PM
Dur Da Dur

do you already have a light weight flywheel?

make sure you get your new pulley balanced before you install it, people have commonly reported aftermarket pulleys to cause engine damage, probably from being unbalanced
Old 08-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fair enough. I have seen that answer a lot and I can accept that as a possibility. So that would bring me to a different question. I have a rebuild done from the block up but everything was done with stock internals. How important is it to forge the internals if I'm just going to run 8 to 15 pounds of boost? The car is my daily driver and I do not romp around everywhere. I have about 15 K on the rebuild but I would like to get some serious longevity out of the car. I know that it would be beneficial to put a cam and forwards the internals but is it a necessary thing to get good life out of the motor with a turbo kit on?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the stock flywheel
Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Forge* not forward the internals.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:48 PM
Dur Da Dur

#1 a stock rotating assembly will break if pushed past 300hp in a short amount of time

#2 stock valve springs/cam will break if pushed past 8000, 8500 rpms

#3 a light weight flywheel can cut 10 pounds off your engine's reciprocating weight, which is more than the total weight of a pulley.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to google better man.

Stock D16s will safely handle 100whp additional power output, regardless of psi required to get you there. psi is relative to turbo size. Thats very fun to drive, trust me.

If you daily, cam would not be helpful if you expect lots of power, mpg will plumit.

A small turbo will increase efficiency. I can do 40+mpg with my td05h-14b on a stock b16, for example.

Over-reving is pointless too.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh I got something you should do/get... a tune! Mods hurt power output until you tune for them!
Old 08-30-2015, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So it sounds like I definitely wanna forge the internals and build it the right way for turbo. I want the car to last. I don't have money to be blowing engines and starting over. I'd rather spend the time and money to do it right the first time. Any suggestions for part brands. As far as price goes and what I've read about its quality I like some of the things that skunk2 offers. They have a stage 2 tuner series cam that is within my price range and they also sell some connecting rods and valve spring kits. I did notice that a company called blox also make some stuff but I haven't read a lot about them. I don't want to be cheap but I do want to be frugal.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a tuned ECU coming from phearable.net. once I get the vehicle turboed I will take it to a local tuner and get it done professionally. So in your opinion YBlegal I don't need to forge the internals in order to put a hundred or so more horsepower on the vehicle?
Old 08-30-2015, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You gonna daily forged internals? You'll have less life than cast.

Your gonna buy a bunch of dumb **** like everyone else. Have fun spending money for very little gain.

Idk where you get 'definitely' forging the internals off what we said.

You know, 200whp is a lot of power to your inexperienced ***? You will put down around 100whp right now I'd bet.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by the rook
I have a tuned ECU coming from phearable.net. once I get the vehicle turboed I will take it to a local tuner and get it done professionally. So in your opinion YBlegal I don't need to forge the internals in order to put a hundred or so more horsepower on the vehicle?
Fo Sho.

All day.

Been there, done that.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:05 PM
Dur Da Dur

if you want 300whp in a d16 you should probably get forged rods/pistons if you want your engine to last a while.

its that simple.

how many miles are on your car or engine?
Old 08-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I drove a stroke C10 before this car so I'm pretty sure I can handle 200hp bro. Just looking for some insight on honda motors. It's my first one. Does it validate your existence to be a D-bag to a perfect stranger on then net? My sincere apologies for offending your all know ***. Lol. Kick rocks.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got 15k on the rebuild. I bought it that way. Receipts were valid. Complete rebuild. Just stock. And I would like to get in the 300hp range safely.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:11 PM
Dur Da Dur

I got 15k on the rebuild. I bought it that way. Receipts were valid. Complete rebuild. Just stock. And I would like to get in the 300hp range safely.
right, you did say that. i guess i got confused when the thread about a crankshaft pulley turned into a thread about building a race engine
Old 08-30-2015, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it did steer that direction. I have a great deal of questions. I'm used to muscle cars. 300hp isn't a race engine in the Chevy world. I like hondas. Just trying to get a feel for where to go next. I was gonna put pulleys on because I'm at a standstill and itching for something else to do. But I also had some questions about prepping for a turbo setup.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And I do appreciate the knowledge from more experienced honda gear heads.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I drove a stroke C10 before this car so I'm pretty sure I can handle 200hp bro. Just looking for some insight on honda motors. It's my first one. Does it validate your existence to be a D-bag to a perfect stranger on then net? My sincere apologies for offending your all know ***. Lol. Kick rocks.
Uh, this is the first time you are stating a goal. Or, deciding that sounds like a nice number because someone else mentioned it..

You seemed to be under the impression your motor is making 200whp or something unrealistic. Knowing you put down so little, could sway your idea of how much power is 'fun' in your book.

Mileage means little as well. Leakdown and comp test. A healthy motor will always last longer.

Your methodologies are questionable. The quieter you are, the more you hear. What you're pondering is ancient knowledge though, a night of searching is what you need. Its all out there. Parts lists and dyno sheets.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it did steer that direction. I have a great deal of questions. I'm used to muscle cars. 300hp isn't a race engine in the Chevy world. I like hondas. Just trying to get a feel for where to go next. I was gonna put pulleys on because I'm at a standstill and itching for something else to do. But I also had some questions about prepping for a turbo setup.
Ya, power to weight ratio makes a big dif in how fun that much power is.

Also, if you just drag, or roadrace thru corners.

You can do suspension? Brakes?

My daily is built for lap racing a roadcourse a few days a year. Got a goal/purpose?
Old 08-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by theYBLEGAL
You know, 200whp is a lot of power to your inexperienced ***?
A reference to your butt dyno, in the case you don't know what 200+whp feels like in a Civic.

No offense/disrespect intended.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a skunk2 suspension. I am aware that I'm not putting out much hp now. I haven't dynoed but from what I've read I'm guessing 130-140. I don't want a drag car and I know I'm light. I didn't intend on putting some massive cam in. Just a stage 2 from skunk2. I don't watch to bore it out. It's already cleaned up nice. I was only thinking of cam and forged because I don't want the turbo to blow the motor in 50k. It's a small motor and I'm not entirely sure how much load it can safely withstand. I've never spent a lot of time on forums prior to this but if you have been on these forums for a while then you know as well as I do and there are about a thousand different opinions. Seeing as I know relatively little about Honda Motors and I am trying to learn, I just thought I'd throw some questions and see where they landed. So am I to assume that, in your opinion, if I shoot for upper 200's pushing 300, even with a good suspension package, the car will be unmanageable.
And the original question about the pulleys was referring to the damping issue at higher rpm's. I however don't plan on driving daily at 7 grand for long durations.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No worries. I'm out of my element a bit and there are a crap load of opinions. Trial and error obviously need to occur. I just don't want a blown motor to be the error.

Quick Reply: Curious about crankshaft pulleys