Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is a CTR wing not legal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a CTR wing not legal?

this might sound like a dumb question, but is the CTR wing illegal? im asking because when u remove your stock spoiler u take away the brake light. i wasnt sure if u are required to have that brake light. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (GetSmoked)

it might be but a cops not going to pull you over for it. they dont know if it came with a 3rd brake or not and i think all they really look at is the rims and the exhaust
Old 03-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Multi-paradigm

as far as i know having a third brake light on the spoiler is not a legal automotive requirement in california. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

when you a buy a new honda, regardless of the trim level, you have the option of getting it without the rear spoiler.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (Screwtape:)

i dont have a wing but i still have a 3rd brake light inside the car, i think it is a law cuz i cant thing of a car that doesnt have one. witht the wing it would be a 4th brake light
Old 03-11-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (93ejay1)

In WI it is requried to have a 3rd brake light, people around get tickets if they take off a wing, but cops are pretty strict here, probley depends on cop/state

Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (slow91si)

well were in ca, and i know for sure this is the worst states for cops
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (93ejay1)

ohh i see, i see. yeah thats true about the in-car third brake light.
But when you remove the stock spoiler, you still have the third brake light in your car like you said, so what would the problem be?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as of jan. 1 1987 federal motor vehicle safety standarards require a supplemental third brake light. and if that third brake light is not working but your other two are, you can still get a non operable brake light ticket..

also realize alot of cars by this date already had third brake lights (due to the pending law car makers jumped on to be the first with it out)

Modified by cxSHOE at 8:15 PM 3/11/2005
Old 03-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (slow91si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow91si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In WI it is requried to have a 3rd brake light, people around get tickets if they take off a wing, but cops are pretty strict here, probley depends on cop/state</TD></TR></TABLE>

****. where in wisconsin are you? i've been everywhere in wisconsin and i've never gotten a ticket for that and i've been pulled over tons of times.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as of jan. 1 1987 federal motor vehicle safety standarards require a supplemental third brake light. and if that third brake light is not working but your other two are, you can still get a non operable brake light ticket..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but like the guy was saying, his car has the in-car brake light too, so having the spoiler light would a be a fourth, which takes us back to his original question of "Is it illegal to remove wing.." which takes us back to my opinion of i don't think so...
Old 03-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah but if he's asking about the ctr spoiler he means in a hatchback, not a coupe so he won't have a 3rd brake light if he installs a ctr spoiler. i put a ctr spoiler on my car and no longer have the 3rd brake light but i haven't taken my car out yet so i'm not sure how strict the cops are out here.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

CTR and duckbill wings are technically illegal.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (BlueIntegraBoy)

my friend has a dx hatch and he has a 3rd brake light on the inside of the glass that folds up
Old 03-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

who cares man i have only my tailights ande never have been pulled over, ohhh in alabama sorry.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (pb16b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pb16b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah but if he's asking about the ctr spoiler he means in a hatchback, not a coupe so he won't have a 3rd brake light if he installs a ctr spoiler. i put a ctr spoiler on my car and no longer have the 3rd brake light but i haven't taken my car out yet so i'm not sure how strict the cops are out here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea thats what i was referring too.. you can add a third brake like if you want along with the ctr spoiler and still be legal that way.. just as long as you have a third brake light and it is above your normal left/right tailights. it has to be higher than your tailights.

so i say get the spoiler and just put a small third brake light.. and just make sure all your lights are working and you will be fine. there is no law stating you can not add a third brake light. it just states that as of 1997 all cars must have them..
Old 03-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so i say get the spoiler and just put a small third brake light.. and just make sure all your lights are working and you will be fine. there is no law stating you can not add a third brake light. it just states that as of 1997 all cars must have them.. </TD></TR></TABLE>
rigged something up, and do a writeup.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:01 PM

drive normal and they wont do ****......................... if ur gonna pull some stunts around cops or on the streets then yeah there gonna give u all teh tickets they want ..

u need a 3rd brake light but plenty of cars without one and i have never heard of a cop pulling over anyone just for that............
Old 03-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (AllmtrSlut)

This is a FEDERAL law, meaning it covers every state. How ever, not all cops feel like pulling people over for it.

As far as having the option for no spoiler, there is still a 3rd light in the car. Having a spoiler re-routes the light.

And yes, you can get a light for your hatch.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (Vero)

thats why lots of companies make CTR style and duckbills with LED brake lights... but IMO they are soooo ugly
Old 03-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (^CX_d16)

A lot of older cars (60's and 70's I wanna say) didn't have them, so I think the law was reinforced in the 80's. A friendly call to the local police station and you might be able to give the phone person some excitement for the day, they can prolly tell you the exact law.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is a CTR wing not legal? (Mario.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A lot of older cars (60's and 70's I wanna say) didn't have them, so I think the law was reinforced in the 80's. A friendly call to the local police station and you might be able to give the phone person some excitement for the day, they can prolly tell you the exact law. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats because the FEDERAL law took place in 1987. Cars before that were exempt.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so we all know it's illegal.

It's up to you to decide whether you will put the wing on or not. There are a lot of laws that aren't completely enforced. If you want to take the risk (I would) then get it. If your cops are known for being tightasses, then don't.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a CF wing on mine and havent had any problems..i live in cali too.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ekb16)

im from the bay,CA which has the worst cops ever. never ever have i had a ticket for my 3rd light not working (bulb was blown ever since i bought my car). i didnt even know it was illegal. cops only look for rims and exhaust and such as been stated before. but you never know.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:54 PM

yeah the cops are dicks here, but i think im gona get it anyways and if there ever is a problem then i will just install a third brake light inside my car.

Quick Reply: Is a CTR wing not legal?