Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CTR Wing Install Question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTR Wing Install Question?

Hey I have a 97 Hatch, and a Ctr wing, and im wondering on how to install it. Im in the military and currently in Afgahnistan, and i having my father install it. Do you just install it right on the old one, or what? Thanks in advance.......Chris
Old 09-20-2004, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR Wing Install Question? (Schmedone1)

i think it is just bolt-on
Old 09-20-2004, 06:47 AM

Default Re: CTR Wing Install Question? (Yeung)

Thats what i thought but on the jdmshit website, it looks like they have it bolted on the factory one, I thought your supposed to take the old one off? Any one that has done this install, info would be great, thanks again
Old 09-20-2004, 07:01 AM

BUMP
Old 09-20-2004, 07:07 AM

A "how to" will be greatly appreciated. chris
Old 09-20-2004, 08:14 AM

well, i dont have the pics of step by step instructions or anything...
this is what i had to do to install my spoon spoiler

1. if you have a cx model, then you would first need to open the top rear brake light. you can take a little screw driver and pop open the little pieces on the left and right side of the light. There, you can unscrew the screws and you can unplug the brake light. you can properly cut the wire (cause you dont have this rear brake light on a ctr wing - or you can properly hide it somehow if your creative)

2. after taking out the light, open your hatch. right away you will see 2 bolts (left and right side). release the bolts.

3. Now you will need to take the middle portion of the hatch body panel to get to the other 2 bolts holding the current oem spoiler you have on. this is easy, just pull on that thing, and it should snap right off. (dont worry, its a snap on/snap off thing), release the remaining 2 bolts and your current spoiler should come right off.

4. if necessary, you can clean the dirt and dust that is probably built up, and even spray a little rust proofing around the edges...

5. now you don't have to be a rocket scientist to put the ctr wing on.. there should be the 4 holes on the bottom end of the spoiler that screws right up where you took out the bolts...

6. after screwing the bolts tightly, snap on the middle body panel that you took off, and your done

hope this helps your father...

good luck in afaganistan
Old 09-20-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Re: CTR Wing Install Question? (drunkn_tyger)

drunkn_tyger,
Thanks for the info I hope this will help........chris
Old 09-20-2004, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the spoiler consists of 2 sections - the actual spoiler & a base section. Most of the time these come bolted together. here are some pics of jdmshit spoiler with the wing section painted

you can see the base section here in CF

the top section of the spoiler DOES NOT attach to the existing CX/DX mini-spoiler

to install you need to remove the OEM mini-spoiler. open hatch & remove upper plastic trim. Behind trim there are 4 plastic bolt nuts (10mm)- remove them. the oem mini-spoiler is also held in by those & a clip in the center. Disconnect wiper fluid squirter & brake light.

here is where thing get interesting. I purchased an after mkt fiberglass spoiler w/third brake light. this had 4 HOLES where the OEM spoiler had 4 bolt threads that stuck through the hatch (where I removed the 4 plastic bolt nuts). I went to a large hardware store & bought JUST the threads of the correct size bolt (or you could cut the the heads off the correct size bolt). When you go to the store bring in one of the plastic bolt nuts that held in the OEM mini-spoiler - so you are 100% sure you get the correct size thread. I then inserted & hand tightened the threads into the CTR replica spoiler after applying thread lock. I then had to splice the brake light wire to the OEM mini-spoiler wire that was cut off. This way you have the OEM rubber connection for ease of installing & removing the spoiler.

Install CTR replica spoiler & make sure its properly aligned by looking at clearance w/roof when opening & closing hatch
Old 09-20-2004, 09:03 AM

Default Re: CTR Wing Install Question? (adirondackR)

adirondackR,
Thanks for the pics and info, I also got the wing from jdmshit, did you have to buy the carbon fiber piece to make it work? or did that piece come with the wing when you bought it ? Thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schmedone1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">adirondackR,
Thanks for the pics and info, I also got the wing from jdmshit, did you have to buy the carbon fiber piece to make it work? or did that piece come with the wing when you bought it ? Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats NOT my wing...I just used the pics as an example. The carbon fiber base section comes with the upper spoiler section. I believe the spoiler above is JDMSHIT's carbon fiber CTR style spoiler with the top section having been painted to match the car.

on mine I painted the top section to match the car & the base section I painted flat (eggshell) black to look like a true OEM CTR spoiler (which comes with the base in a flat black & a body-color matched spoiler)