Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CTR vs ITR rear sway

Old 06-12-2004, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTR vs ITR rear sway

They arent the same right? I was told that the ITR moves around a bit, was just curious if you used the CTR if that would eliminate this problem?

Modified by C-West Civic at 1:02 AM 6/13/2004
Old 06-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR vs ITR rear sway (C-West Civic)

*Bedtime Bump*
Old 06-12-2004, 08:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C-West Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was told that the ITR moves around a bit</TD></TR></TABLE>

What does that even mean? A bar's a bar. Either it's installed right or not.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: CTR vs ITR rear sway (nw.dave)

Right, that sounds like a fitment issue, if anything. Are the two bars identical? Someone help the man out, I'd like to know as well.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR vs ITR rear sway (nw.dave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nw.dave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What does that even mean? A bar's a bar. Either it's installed right or not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the bar I bought off of someone from CSi, and when I got it it had two sections ( 1 on each side of the bar ) of teflon tape wrap around it, then where the tape is, a hose clamp is installed. These are both right where the bushing is that gets bolted to the car.

I wrote and asked the guy, what was the deal with this set up, and he said, that since the ITR bar and the Si bar arent shape identical, the clamps are needed so that the bar doesnt shift around.

So now, since Im getting my car back soon and will be going thru all the installs, I wanted to find out if the CTR bar is identical to the Si bar, just thicker in mm and doesnt have any movement issues and I should get that and sell the ITR bar since of the movement problems or is this guy who sold me the bar, blowing smoke and had the ITR bar installed wrong and I dont have to worry about these hose clamps.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C-West Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well the bar I bought off of someone from CSi, and when I got it it had two sections ( 1 on each side of the bar ) of teflon tape wrap around it, then where the tape is, a hose clamp is installed. These are both right where the bushing is that gets bolted to the car.

I wrote and asked the guy, what was the deal with this set up, and he said, that since the ITR bar and the Si bar arent shape identical, the clamps are needed so that the bar doesnt shift around.

So now, since Im getting my car back soon and will be going thru all the installs, I wanted to find out if the CTR bar is identical to the Si bar, just thicker in mm and doesnt have any movement issues and I should get that and sell the ITR bar since of the movement problems or is this guy who sold me the bar, blowing smoke and had the ITR bar installed wrong and I dont have to worry about these hose clamps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Personally, I would not install that bar. If it takes makeshift endlinks to fit at all properly, I'll pass. I wish I had first hand experience working with the bars in question, so I could say more. I would wager the CTR bar can work with a Civic suspension, it is designed for that very car. The only issue I can see there, is the mounting points possibly being absent on a non Type-R Civic, specifically the endlinks. Hopefully someone can jump in here, and provide some better info. It sounds like you need help here, something in that ITR bar deal does not sound right.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR vs ITR rear sway (piscorpio)

Well no, the ITR bar uses the stock Si's endlinks, its just well man I wish I had my camera's program working to show you where the clamps are.

Well Im thinking that the CTR is the same in everyway, just 22mm not 13mm as the Si bar and bolts right up, Im just not sure. Like you said, hopefully someone will jump in and say for sure.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C-West Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well Im thinking that the CTR is the same in everyway, just 22mm not 13mm as the Si bar and bolts right up, Im just not sure. Like you said, hopefully someone will jump in and say for sure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would assume the same, especially if your Civic is an Si since it is already equipped with a rear bar. I was not sure what trim/year Civic you are dealing with.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The two are different.

The CTR swaybar endlink holes are perfect for Si endlinks. No need for bushings.
Whereas ITR swaybar endlink holes are larger, and require you to use bushings.

Furthermore, the length of the ITR swaybar is longer than the CTR. So you'll need to mount it further out from the subframe to prevent an akward angle of the endlink on the lower control arms.

Get a CTR bar if you can swing it.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C-West Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it had two sections ( 1 on each side of the bar ) of teflon tape wrap around it, then where the tape is, a hose clamp is installed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not an engineer on anything, but wouldn't that compromise the structural integrity of the bar? Seems like it would allow for some undesigned flex
Old 06-13-2004, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR vs ITR rear sway (Mario)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The two are different.

The CTR swaybar endlink holes are perfect for Si endlinks. No need for bushings.
Whereas ITR swaybar endlink holes are larger, and require you to use bushings.

Furthermore, the length of the ITR swaybar is longer than the CTR. So you'll need to mount it further out from the subframe to prevent an akward angle of the endlink on the lower control arms.

Get a CTR bar if you can swing it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, first one I get/got

But second one, yea maybe thats why you have to use the clamps since the bar is longer.

Anyone want a ITR rear sway, I got one for sale now
Old 06-13-2004, 12:21 PM
New User

i have a type R bar on my civic and have no problem with it moving around. never seen it happen either. instead of using integra endlinks or SI endlinks i made my own. its strong, adjustable, and cheaper than factory stuff.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=873449
Old 06-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR vs ITR rear sway (Mr. Choi)

so ctr bar is 22mm as well? are the ctr endlinks the same as the Si?
Old 06-18-2004, 11:27 PM
I'm a Jackass

they couldnt be the same because the wheel-base length on an ITR and CTR are different
Old 06-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Benzo2NED)

so i cant use ctr endlinks on my 99 civic ex? id have to get si endlinks only?
Old 06-18-2004, 11:55 PM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: (xFlipNotiKx)

i dont see why u shouldnt be able to use it since a CTR is an EK chassis and the wheel base length on the EK should be the same so i say try it