Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CTR suspension opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 CTR suspension opinions

Im about to order a CTR suspension for my 98 dx hatch but before I did I wanted to get opinions from people who have them or would suggest something else.
I do plan on doing some track & hiting the curvy back roads a bit hard but no going full race with the car, it will still be a DD more then anything..for now.
My questions were will they lower or jack up my ride height? guy selling them says a slight unnoticeable lower & other threads say jack it up. I do want to lower it but no more then 1.5 inchs & that's nowhere in there near future.
2. Ive herd a lot of people say CTR & ITR suspensions tend to leak & be crazy stiff making a DD crappy to drive, any truth? Ive also been told repeatedly get good or oem shocks & get eibach springs or a good combo but I don't know what would make a good combo & I am on a budget otherwise I would probably just get skunk 2 pros.
3. I read that some are so stiff they actually hurt launch or can cause other harm to the car/discomfort while driving & because of "how bad" it is. Granted I wont be dragging much short of maybe seeing its time, that im mainly more curious.

Only reason im thinking on it now is I have all of it off replacing parts & I had some money to spare & figured it would be a nice edition to my swap

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated! As always thanks to everyone
Old 12-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: CTR suspension opinions

Read
This

Get a good understanding, post #2 in that thread is all about spring rates, CTR is specifically mentioned.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, Always looking for helpful tech info. I like how it was budget based. To answer some further questions, I wont get rid of this car ever. Saving for or waiting for what I need isn't a problem either. Did give me some helpful insight on what parts & companys to research. I just don't want to spend 600 or more when something as simple as replacing my bushing may make great improvements. Thanks purg
Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I read all of that twice & still think ive missed something somewhere. I have a great understanding comparied to what I did & for that I thank you. Though I am still a bit lost when it comes down to choosing what kinda for my use. Price isn't a problem but PREFER best bang for buck. ALso Im getting mixed reviews on th CTR suspension, some say its way to stiff but great for tracks & Wv roads a pretty much a roadcourse.
I couldn't find the spring rate of the ctr or the true ride height, some say it will lower it & others say it will raise it, I also cant find any exact tech infor on that model type R, all google showed me was new or EF versions, perhaps im using the wrong key words.
Anyone care to give their opinion on a CTR suspension vs, skunk 2 s coilovers or the koni/GC set up that I was reading about with around 400f 350 r?
Old 12-04-2013, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Generalized of course.
But the rates are as follows

96-00 EX factory 165F/80R (P/P)
99-00 Si (EM1) factory 201F/99.8R (P/P)
CTR factory 240/240 (L/P)

It'll be a stiffer ride regardless, as for ride height, that I'm not positive on.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Koni/ground control....simple as that keep in mind those ctr/itr suspension items are anywhere from 13-16 years old. I'd say go with some tein flex's
Old 12-04-2013, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The type r suspensions are no where as stiff as the aftermarket setups.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

CTR suspension is an excellent upgrade for your hatchbox. They do ride stiffer than stock....but still comfortable. That suspension will definitely help your handling and it lowers the car around 1".

I can say that my stock ITR was pretty well composed and quick on the race track.

Koni/GC (Depending on spring rates) is going to be more agressive. I usually recommend stiffer rear rates as compared to fronts. My ITR was using 360/380 rates with great success.

I would pass on Skunk2 Pro C/S or any Tein street setup (flex/SS/SA, etc) if you're really going to be getting into track use. Although the skunk 2 or tein setups are very nice for DDs or predominantly street build cars.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Progress CSII's are on sale still I believe. Check them out on the market place. Most places are 575-600 shipped.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Purg! I was trying to find that & seemed to find peoples opinion vs actuall specs. It was more general but I greatly helped me understand more in depth what goal Im trying to achieve.

Also a thanks to you Bswap! I thought that myself but also thought if they were that bad or risky, why do people still buy CTR & ITR items if that was the case. I know spoilers, shift ***** & stuff like that don't count

B serious. Thanks for your input, I was hoping to hear from someone whos bought & used a set before. I don't plan on going heavy track but it will be were I try to spend my weekends, also Wv roads a pretty much track style with bumps & dips, so I cant lower it to far for better control.
To be honest that sounds like what I want, about a 1 inch drop, bit stiffer then stock & they are cheaper then any other options I have. Don't care to spend the money but any chance to save extra for more parts is a plus. Just curious what made you chose the setup you went with when, unlike most I read have stiffer front then rears, I was told since im swapped I should do something like 400f/350r.

The setup Im trying to get figured is one that is stiffer & lower but not so much it almost eliminates DD. I don't want to go as far as saying that it would be better getting a full track set up but the roads where I live are very curvy & bumpy, If it can handle that with some comfort great.

I always went with skunk2 back in the day but that was almost 10 years ago & when I bought skunk I wanted tein that's why I brought those 2 up. I honestly don't know much about companys made since the 2nd fast & furious(that's when I shipped out).

As always major thanks guys!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Almost no quick "track" setup early Civics/Integras have more front bias on the spring rates. They tend to understeer. You can fix that with higher rear rates and a bigger rear bar.

With my 360F and 380R rates on my ITR, the car was neutral. 23mm rear sway bar. 225/45/15 up front 205/50/15 in back. About -3.5 degrees of camber up front and -2.5ish in the back. Car was more than quick and it was still comfy on the road.

You can go more agressive with Koni Yellows....like 400F 450R or something like that. But the ride may not be as good. My ITR's ride was great with 360/380 springs.

CTR springs are a bit on the soft side...but the suspension is very well set up overall. If you want to lower by 1'', have a good ride, have good bump compliance, and be able to track the car,and not spend too much...the CTR setup is an OBVIOUS choice. The Koni/GC setup is another very good choice since you can pick your spring rates and it's still pretty cost effective. You can get the entire setup with extended hats for like $1k or so. That's cheap for a decent suspension setup.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:46 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Type R suspension would only lower you car about .75 in. Ride is not stiff like aftermarket. I've had type r on my integra and my civic si.