Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ctr ek turbo pops codes

Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ctr ek turbo pops codes

i will keep this as simple as possible.
i picked up on a 98 ek with a b18c turbo that was not runing dude though the motor was toast. i pulled compression on it and its worn with between 140-160 on all. but thats enough to burn gas so in a straight trade for my all stock da9 he was happy so was i
got it back got it running the wires were toast, that was it. unreal deal i got.
now i got it running it idles ok but when u rev it it sputters bad like the timing is all to hell off.
i have not drove it yet as it has a broken motor mount but that will be fixed here in a few.
the cam gears are square and the v-train is square to tdc on the cranks i replaced everything from the coil to the plugs seems a little better but not much.

questions:
it appears to be poping codes 1 and 41 but could be 1 and 5 1 is primary o2 41 is secondary
5 is map pretty shure on 1 and 41 tho.
i want to go ahead and weld 02 bungs into the 3 inch exhaust dude had made for the car but he may have eliminated, what should i do?

which is part of question 2 im no stranger to tuning but this car has a p73 in it right next to a greddy trust E-manage box with a usb port on it.
what do i need to do if i, can i plug in and check things out?
what program do i need.

again the main problem is that its sputtering as soon as u pick it up of idle if it turns out to be like some of the other turbo hondas around here, and it cleans up in the higher rpm's then i might be in luck.

any help is greatly apericated the turbo looks like a t3-t4 not shure yet have only had the car for maybe 16 hours.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ctr ek turbo pops codes

start by throwing away all those computers and getting a hondata s300... could be a bad tune, could be a mechanical problem.

some more simple things to try which are easy are calibrating your tps sensor, checking for proper voltage to your MAP and 02 sensors ect... start testing stuff... replace as necessary... if nothing fixes it then its probobly a bad tune....
Old 09-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if i am going to go that route i will just drop a p-28 in there and spend some to have it dyno tuned, done right the 1st time.
p73 is not going to be chipable?
for now for ***** and gigles im going to play around with the tune a few people have said to get a 3 bar map sensor right away......

got it going it was running decent 1-4krpms, once the turbo began to pressurize the car ran amazing, kind of out of hand fast climbing to 9k so so quick.
i really doubt the motor is mechanically damaged probably just old and a little tired but still healthy.
the power it dumps feels to clean and to solid to be mechanical.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you only need a new map sensor if your runing more than 11 lbs of boost
Old 09-25-2009, 06:35 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A chipped P28 on Crome/Neptune and a 3bar would solve a lot of your problems. Also, if you want to know what the turbo is, we're going to need pictures and possibly measurements of the wheels
Old 09-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the turbo is a t3-t4 i got around to cleaning up the routing of the pipes there bone dry no oil looks good.

found out why the car was running like *** there was no power to 2 of the injectors being dude spliced the block resistors into the harness all crappy, got that cleared up and the car is running like a top, litertly the car is to fast for its own suspension on just 8lbs
car runs very very smooth like it has been tuned decently with the greddy manager but im already planing a p28 tune soon as i pull the pan and see if its really built.
will post back.
maybe get a viedo of the pulls