Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CTR Cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTR Cams

What type of gains can I expect to see with CTR cams in my B16a2?? Should I upgrade my valve train? I shouldn't need springs because they are already dual valve springs. Should I get titanium retainers or would it matter?
Old 11-08-2003, 08:48 AM

If you are keeping the stock rev limit of 8200 or whatever it is, you shuold be fine with the stock valve train. A lot of people on here are running CTR cams on stock valve train without a problem.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR Cams (klnteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klnteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What type of gains can I expect to see with CTR cams in my B16a2?? Should I upgrade my valve train? I shouldn't need springs because they are already dual valve springs. Should I get titanium retainers or would it matter?</TD></TR></TABLE> CTR cams are almost like skunk2 stage 1 but i think the stage 1 make a lil bit more power.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:58 AM

Default Re: CTR Cams (drchulo)

usually if tuned you can make about 150-160 whp with all the other proper mods ie: I/H/E some sort of tuning device.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:07 AM

Default Re: CTR Cams (v00tecsi)

ive seen peoples dynos in the 175-185 range on CTR cams before. but this is on a b18c1 so it should be a little lower for a b16.

its all in the tuning
Old 11-09-2003, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the input guys it gave me something to look foward to in the spring!!
Old 11-10-2003, 10:35 AM

Default Re: CTR Cams (jeremyEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeremyEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive seen peoples dynos in the 175-185 range on CTR cams before. but this is on a b18c1 so it should be a little lower for a b16.

its all in the tuning</TD></TR></TABLE> Not bad.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:16 AM

Default Re: CTR Cams (klnteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klnteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Should I get titanium retainers or would it matter?</TD></TR></TABLE>

doesn't matter. titanium retainers are just lighter
Old 11-10-2003, 12:54 PM

Default Re: CTR Cams (JICEK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

doesn't matter. titanium retainers are just lighter </TD></TR></TABLE>

Plus, they wear down too don't they?

Modified by Witty at 11:43 PM 11/13/2003
Old 11-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

doesn't matter. titanium retainers are just lighter </TD></TR></TABLE>

do you even know what retainers do ?

what are the benefits of something lighter if it doesnt move ?
Old 11-14-2003, 06:28 AM

Default Re: CTR Cams (Doctor CorteZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doctor CorteZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

do you even know what retainers do ?

what are the benefits of something lighter if it doesnt move ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got my info from ZEX. I can get the guys name if you want to call him and argue with him. Me, I'm not in the mood. I was just trying to help because I am in the process of building the head on my JRSC SOHC, and ZEX told me to do the valve springs and the street/strip cam but the retainers aren't necessary unless you will be doing other lighter weight head components. I thought ZEX would know what they are selling.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:03 AM

I got my info from ZEX. I can get the guys name if you want to call him and argue with him. Me, I'm not in the mood. I was just trying to help because I am in the process of building the head on my JRSC SOHC, and ZEX told me to do the valve springs and the street/strip cam but the retainers aren't necessary unless you will be doing other lighter weight head components. I thought ZEX would know what they are selling. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmm no response "DOC"???? lol
Old 11-18-2003, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Everthing always turns into an arguement, but titanium retainers are good for something, they are lighter, and strong enough to handle higher spring loads caused by high lift cams, and super stiff valve springs! You dont necessarily have to get titanium retainers to have something that will hold up, in fact, alot of the aftermarket retainers out there are not titanium. I think that if you want to upgrade your springs and retainers for some ctr cams, I would just get some ITR or CTR valve spring assembly's. They work just fine...
Old 11-18-2003, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR Cams (mattssi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattssi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but titanium retainers are good for something, they are lighter, and strong enough to handle higher spring loads caused by high lift cams, and super stiff valve springs! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm aware of what they're goood for , is anyone aware of the actual life of these fast wearing components ?

and we're talking about OEM mild ground CTR/ITR cams , they dont make power past 9k so why upgrade to Ti retainers ?

Old 11-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my info from ZEX. I can get the guys name if you want to call him and argue with him. Me, I'm not in the mood. I was just trying to help because I am in the process of building the head on my JRSC SOHC, and ZEX told me to do the valve springs and the street/strip cam but the retainers aren't necessary unless you will be doing other lighter weight head components. I thought ZEX would know what they are selling. </TD></TR></TABLE>

stop and look at what you just typed , no call your friend at Zex and ask him what benefit you get from having lighter retainers.

if you have ever even looked a head with the cam cover off you would understand how this nets you no gain whatsoever , they only become needed with higher lift/more aggressive camshafts.

you want me to get you a picture ?
Old 11-18-2003, 01:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doctor CorteZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

stop and look at what you just typed , no call your friend at Zex and ask him what benefit you get from having lighter retainers.

if you have ever even looked a head with the cam cover off you would understand how this nets you no gain whatsoever , they only become needed with higher lift/more aggressive camshafts.

you want me to get you a picture ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't need a pic. I've been doing this for a while I am just relaying info that I received when I was talking to ZEX. Don't you think that if they were necessary they would have tried to sell me them? Now the guy I was talking to is named "Joey", he works in the tech department at ZEX if you want to clarify what he/I'm talking about.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't you think that if they were necessary they would have tried to sell me them? </TD></TR></TABLE>

two things.

- I think you misunderstood his reasons for suggesting them.

- he is trying to SELL you a product , hes going to try to make a sale like anyone else by telling you this or that.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:46 PM

two things.

- I think you misunderstood his reasons for suggesting them.

- he is trying to SELL you a product , hes going to try to make a sale like anyone else by telling you this or that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my point- HE DID NOT try to sell them to me! he said it would be a waste of money unless I was doing other lighter weight head components as I already wrote a couple post ago.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I lean towards reason number one in that case.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:48 PM