Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CRV Cluster in Civic - A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRV Cluster in Civic - A Few Questions

My 2000 EX cluster's speedometer is not working properly, so I'm thinking of switching over to a CRV cluster. From what I've read, it seems to be plug and play, but I have a few questions about functionality.

1. With the CRV having a larger fuel tank, will the cluster send inaccurate readings from the tank in my Civic?

2. Are there any issues with SRS or ABS lights when swapping? (I don't have ABS)

Any help is appreciated!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRV Cluster in Civic - A Few Questions

Same questions I've asked in my thread a month ago; I did the CRV cluster swap.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/installed-98-crv-cluster-into-99-civic%3B-some-questions-concerns-3053367/

1) I've never filled my car full-tank since then, but because the gauge is smaller than that of the lower-trim Civic, it may read less. I've yet to try it, but when I used to throw in $20 from near empty, my old cluster would be above the half-mark, about 60%. A few months later, gas prices went down about $0.30 and when I put in $20 from near empty, the new cluster would be right around/under the half-mark; about 40-55%. Just try filling your tank up full; I lack the money right now to do so (tight budget, can't even afford $40 gas lol)

2) You will get the SRS light if you plug in all the connectors from the Civic to the CRV Cluster. When you transfer the CRV Cluster to a Civic dash, you'll only need to plug in the half-inch yellow plug behind the tachometer, and 2 blue plugs; 1 above the speedometer and 1 above the tachometer. There might be an orange plug in your dashboard; leave it alone and don't plug it.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CO671
Same questions I've asked in my thread a month ago; I did the CRV cluster swap.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3053367

1) I've never filled my car full-tank since then, but because the gauge is smaller than that of the lower-trim Civic, it may read less. I've yet to try it, but when I used to throw in $20 from near empty, my old cluster would be above the half-mark, about 60%. A few months later, gas prices went down about $0.30 and when I put in $20 from near empty, the new cluster would be right around/under the half-mark; about 40-55%. Just try filling your tank up full; I lack the money right now to do so (tight budget, can't even afford $40 gas lol)

2) You will get the SRS light if you plug in all the connectors from the Civic to the CRV Cluster. When you transfer the CRV Cluster to a Civic dash, you'll only need to plug in the half-inch yellow plug behind the tachometer, and 2 blue plugs; 1 above the speedometer and 1 above the tachometer. There might be an orange plug in your dashboard; leave it alone and don't plug it.
Wow, completely missed that thread. I'm an idiot haha. Thanks for the info. What do you mean when you mention the lower trim civic? Are you comparing the EX and DX/LX models or CRV to Civic? Also, you mention SRS light, but in your thread it says ABS light when talking about the orange plug. Could you clarify?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2KEXVtec
Wow, completely missed that thread. I'm an idiot haha. Thanks for the info. What do you mean when you mention the lower trim civic? Are you comparing the EX and DX/LX models or CRV to Civic? Because I didn't realize there was a difference between the civic trims.
No problem, we all do.

Oh like how the EX/LX/HX/SI/CTR Clusters are the ones with Tachometers in the cluster (located on the left of the panel in its own space) with the temp & gas gauge sharing a spot on the right side (if automatic; the automatic gears will be in the middle of the gas and temp gauges).

The CX/DX didn't have tachometers in 6th generation civics, because the temp. gauge was on the left side alone while the gas gauge was on the right side alone, filling up the spaces. I'm sure all CRV's had tachometers, having ONLY the LX trim available for the 1st generation.
Here's a comparison of my broken CRV cluster and my old DX Cluster. (currently running another automatic CRV Cluster in my Civic) You can see the gas gauges are incredibly different in size.
Name:  bOeUP.png
Views: 446
Size:  400.4 KB

Anywho; it's a fun and cheap swap. If your Civics standard and the CRV cluster is automatic, not a problem you just have the automatic gears shown and it won't light up. I just put electrical tape over it, looks great at night and from the back seat, but up close..... not too much.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Right, I forgot the lower trims didn't have a tach (guess I've been spoiled for a while with mine in my EX Can you clarify one thing - you mention the SRS light in your reply when talking about the orange plug, but in your thread you say ABS. Which one is for that plug?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2KEXVtec
Right, I forgot the lower trims didn't have a tach (guess I've been spoiled for a while with mine in my EX Can you clarify one thing - you mention the SRS light in your reply when talking about the orange plug, but in your thread you say ABS. Which one is for that plug?
Ohh... I didn't notice you mentioned EX. My bad there; sparked a lot of confusion!

Again, i caused more confusion giving wrong info.
I remember when I disconnected the yellow plug, and only had the orange and 2 blues, the SRS light was showing, and the ABS was still showing.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

size of the gauge doesn't matter. they work off resistance sent from the sending unit in the tank.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found this thread looking for information on the CRV and Civic clusters.

I have a 2000 Civic EX that I have done some advanced LED modification to. I previously removed the civic cluster and hand-fabricated LED circuitboards to replace the original lighting on the cluster.

I recently bought a 2001 CRV, and I'm wondering that if INSIDE the 2 clusters they are essentially the same. The reason I am asking, is that I already spent considerable design time on the civic circuitboard designs- and it would be nice if I could use the exact same thing again.

Both cars are automatics, and they have the tachometers already from the factory.
Old 07-08-2023, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To answer my own question - These clusters are VERY similar but slightly different. The way the tach mounts is most of the difference. The orientation of the fasteners is not the same- and I had to redesign my circuitry to make this work. Not a big deal because I able to use most of my existing civic CAD design.