Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CRV/B16 question

Old 08-13-2006, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRV/B16 question

ok, i may get flamed for this, but i've recieved mixed responses from this....i have a B16 in my 00 ex, i want to do a B20 bottom end, i figure while i'm at it i'll do a little work to it. My plan is CTR pistons,CTR cams, ported head, Skunk2 pro series IM, and a bored TB....but some people tell me i cant put CTR pistons in the B20 block, some say i can. Also, some people say use an ITR crank with GSR rods.....i have never done a hybrid motor, so i have no clue, any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRV/B16 question (ExSohcEk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ExSohcEk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, i may get flamed for this, but i've recieved mixed responses from this....i have a B16 in my 00 ex, i want to do a B20 bottom end, i figure while i'm at it i'll do a little work to it. My plan is CTR pistons,CTR cams, ported head, Skunk2 pro series IM, and a bored TB....but some people tell me i cant put CTR pistons in the B20 block, some say i can. Also, some people say use an ITR crank with GSR rods.....i have never done a hybrid motor, so i have no clue, any help would be great. Thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I'm 100% certain you can't put CTR pistons in your B20 block, because you have a 2.0 litre block now, instead of a 1.6, which the CTR has(basically, since the block is a 2.0, they measure that by seeing how much fuel the cylinder can hold. 1.6 liters of fuel is what a B16 can hold, and 2 liters is what a B20 can hold...max that is). CTR cams are good to go in the B16 head, since you have a B16 you can vtec the B20 block by swapping heads(involves some work to get this done...but you have a B16 so you're good to go). ITR crank and GSR rods sounds like a really good idea. If you have the money, it's worth it because it's going to turn the motor into a monster. The reason people are suggesting that is because VTEC motor comes with knife edged, and zero balanced cranks. The B20 block doesn't, and that's one of the reasons it redlines at 6,900. If you want to safely increase the redline to 9000, an ITR crank would be perfect for the job. As for pistons, look into getting some 2.0 pistons for B motors. There are plenty out there, since many people took B18 blocks and bored them out to 2.0

But if you want to save money, you cans tick to your original plan and just get CTR pistons, and everything you listed up there on the mod list and put it into your B16. It won't have as much torque, but it will still be a fun car.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:39 PM

Default Re: CRV/B16 question (polak182)

yea, thanks for the input, i wasgoing to stick with the B16, but i'd like to have a little extra TQ......BUT my major issue with the B20 bottom end is infact the 6,900rpm redline..i'm grown attached to 8,200rpm, lol. Iwas reading honda tuning, and i forget the company, but someone makes oversized itr pistons and they suggested that in a readers question...so your sayin (with whatever piston i use) an ITR crank and gsr or itr rods would safely raise my redline? is my 1.6l crank and rods possible?i'm guessing no.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have a longer stroke with the b20 crank which in turn will give you more torque then an itr crank and gsr rods...just run your b20 crank with the b20 or b18a/b rods with arp rod bolts and have it balanced with some b20z pistons and you can raise your redline higher.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:08 PM

Default Re: (gold_ef)

Alright thanks man, i still may try to raise the comp. a little though. I'd love to see 200whp come from this, which from what i've read isnt out of reach at all. i was going to toss some CTR pistons and cams in my B16, but i though this would be better Bang for the buck, even if it does cost a bit more. Should i do anything about the sleeves? Not boosting it, but i've read some horror stories.