Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cruise control install?

Old 07-30-2007, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control install?

Anyone could point me to a "How to" for the installation of Cruise Control. I'd like to put it on my D16. Is it a big job? Where could I source the needed parts other than the Stealership?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your best bet for parts is a junkyard car.

You'll need the cruise control module, the pinouts to where the go on the ECU. And the other cable (some of the Honda CC's use a second cable that goes to the butterfly while others use one that goes to the pedal).

So:
- Module
- CC cable
- ECU Wiring Pinouts
- Wire
- Enagement Switches

You'll need to get the wiring pinouts of the steering wheel to find out which ones go to cruise control. Chances are it's just hanging there, but in case they're not, you'd have to wire them with the main harness.

I'd say screw all that and find out where the inputs on the ECU are for the CC switches and just wire too "non-click" buttons someplace in your car into those pins on the ECU. Unless they go to the CC module - in that case - wire them there.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Syndacate)

It's pretty simple once you have all the parts. Here's what I used for my 98 DX (EG is similar but uses the electric actuator instead of vacuum actuator)

1. Cruise control module. From what I have gathered, supposedly the automatic and the manual modules are slightly different. Get one from a car with same type of trans as yours. This is typically located on the driver side kick panel and it says "auto cruise" on it. Get it and the pigtail for it.

2. Clutch switch if you have a 5 speed. It's the lower switch on the pedal and about the diameter of a sharpie marker. Get it and the pigtail for it.

3. Clockspring that goes in the steering column and the cruise buttons for steering wheel along with the rear shroud as it's already cut. Some people just use the whole steering wheel to make it easy. Clockspring is easily removed but you need to make sure it's "centered" before you take it out. Make sure the wheels are pointing straight. Pull the clockspring back and put a piece of tape on it to keep it from turning.

4. Cruise control actuator. Get the cable that goes to the gas pedal and a pigtail that plugs into it. Make sure you get the bracket and bolts to hold it down.

5. Now is where it sucks. If you run the cable to the gas pedal like most Civics are, you have to pull the brake/gas pedal out. Why? Because there is an extra bracket on the cruise cars that the cable attaches to. 1 by the gas pedal and 4 nuts that hold the booster cylinder along with the clip for teh booster so you can pull the assembly out.

6. Cruise button. This is the button that turns power on and off to the cruise. Getit and the pigtail.

Tell me what year you are dealing with and I'll post wire colors and locationgs to complete the install.

Ryan