Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crooked steering column

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crooked steering column

My steering column is crooked, this is due to a theft attempt long ago b4 I even owned the car. When I'm driving straight, the steering wheel is turned to the left a noticeable amount. I have been told that when I get an alignment, they can make the steering wheel centered when driving straight. However there is still a problem, the wiper switch and turn signal switch are still crooked. How can I fix that without having to get a new column? Thanks for the help. I have searched but havent gotten the answers that I need.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2009, 01:47 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: Crooked steering column

You need to get a new column.

I know you said you would like to not need to, but that is the solution.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How much does a collumn go for anyways and how hard is it to install myself?Thanks NOFX
Old 01-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

depends where you get it. between $250-$350 at the most, give or take a couple bucks.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:05 PM
H-T White Ops

When my car was stolen it cost $420. It ha dall sorts of sit on it that I didn't need though.

I was focused on getting my car back together and didn't even notice it until later on.

Best part is, the first column they gave me didn't fit my car. I still have that column.

So if anyone knows what column would fit a 6th gen Civic, but be just a little bit short (enough to only cause a rubbing issue between the steering column shroud and the steering wheel), let me know.

It's been sitting here for the past three years.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NOFX
When my car was stolen it cost $420. It ha dall sorts of sit on it that I didn't need though.

I was focused on getting my car back together and didn't even notice it until later on.

Best part is, the first column they gave me didn't fit my car. I still have that column.

So if anyone knows what column would fit a 6th gen Civic, but be just a little bit short (enough to only cause a rubbing issue between the steering column shroud and the steering wheel), let me know.

It's been sitting here for the past three years.

Still tryin to sell that thing lol
Old 01-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are all the steering columns the same from 92-00?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 00CIVICSITEIN
No, '92 - '95 and '96 - '00 are different. I think I paid $50 for a good used complete 6th gen column at a local junkyard (I pulled it myself).
Old 01-04-2009, 02:05 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by ifIexplode
Still tryin to sell that thing lol
I wasn't exactly just trying to sell it.

I need to ID it first. I only remember trying to ID it before. I need to ID so I can sell it.
Originally Posted by 00CIVICSITEIN
No. The spline count is different.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasn't exactly just trying to sell it. I need to ID it first. I only remember trying to ID it before. I need to ID so I can sell it.
I know, I was just busting your chops.
Just remembered your thread awhile back. a good while back.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I never knew steering columns were so much.. I bought one off of my buddy for like 20 bucks before...

NOFX is my favorite band of all time
Old 01-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah I see, interesting. 94EG8 and NOFX are always coming in with helpful info, thanks guys and girls. 94EG8, how hard was it to install the collumn and what kind of work did you have to do? Thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 03:39 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by ifIexplode
I know, I was just busting your chops.
Just remembered your thread awhile back. a good while back.
Yeah. It would be nice to get rid of it. We just moved and brought it with us just because it seems like a shame to toss it out.

Oh, and the 6th gen column was pretty easy to install. The bolt at the joint at the bottom though... make sure it goes in the way it came out. If it's backwards the steering wheel will have play in either direction.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh, and the 6th gen column was pretty easy to install. The bolt at the joint at the bottom though... make sure it goes in the way it came out. If it's backwards the steering wheel will have play in either direction.
X2, its only 3 bolts and 2 nuts to remove/install the actual column. The bottom bolt is the hardest part of the whole thing.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Mai
New User

The same thing happened to my '00 Integra. I just bought the thing literally 3 days before it happened...

they snapped my steering wheel off too but rotated mine in a clockwise direction. ha, maybe the guy who did it to the first poster was a lefty and i got a righty?

anyway, i had a new shaft put in and they transferred all my electrical parts but my column is still twisted... is there a way to somehow bend it back since i already paid 180 to have a new center shaft and wheel replaced on it? it drives fine for the time being but its annoying as hell not to mention i am scared it might somehow mess up my alignment or worse.

plus, there is a white ribbon that was coiled up underneath my steering wheel that was torn out and now that they have replaced the steering wheel my SRS airbag light is on. the bag wasn't deployed, that ribbon was just removed. is there any way to turn the light off too?

thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:19 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by Mai
The same thing happened to my '00 Integra. I just bought the thing literally 3 days before it happened...

they snapped my steering wheel off too but rotated mine in a clockwise direction. ha, maybe the guy who did it to the first poster was a lefty and i got a righty?

anyway, i had a new shaft put in and they transferred all my electrical parts but my column is still twisted... is there a way to somehow bend it back since i already paid 180 to have a new center shaft and wheel replaced on it? it drives fine for the time being but its annoying as hell not to mention i am scared it might somehow mess up my alignment or worse.

plus, there is a white ribbon that was coiled up underneath my steering wheel that was torn out and now that they have replaced the steering wheel my SRS airbag light is on. the bag wasn't deployed, that ribbon was just removed. is there any way to turn the light off too?

thanks in advance.
Okay, first, no, you can't twist a steering column back in place. Sorry!

Something similar happened to me though (as mentioned above). Bring the part back to where you got it and explain your situation. You were sold a faulty product. It's easy to think it looks fine when not installed though, so just try to work it out with them.

It won't mess your alignment up by the way.

As for the SRS light. That white ribbon that was removed is from your cable reel (aka clock spring). The white ribbon is for the SRS. Get a new (or used - but good) cable reel and install it. You might need to have someone turn your SRS light off after that though.