Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Creaking/Popping coming from passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking/Popping coming from passenger door

Hey all, I searched and found a few threads relating to this, but nothing specific. I've got a weird creaking noise coming from my passenger side front door of my 2000 LX sedan. It happens whenever I hit any kind of road feature other than completely smooth pavement. That is of course, when I'm traveling at a constant speed. The most annoying part of this is that it happens whenever I slow down or speed up, like if I'm going 15 mph and push on the gas, I hear; "Creak-Pop!" from the door. If I hit the brakes, same thing. If I reach over and push on the inside panel it will kind of make the same sound, but it doesn't stop the noise from happening on its own.

The other thing that I think might be the same issue or part of the problem is that my passenger doors (front and back) are kind of stiff when opening. They're not hard or anything, but when I open them, they kind of spring open almost and the weather stripping squeaks when it opens as it rubs across the paint of the door jamb like it's being pushed a little too hard against it.

It seems like my car is tweaked in a way that the doors don't seem to open/function properly like it was in an accident. But it hasn't been. It only started happening a month or so ago, and it didn't do it before then and I haven't wrecked it (to my knowledge) since I purchased it in January. The only thing I can think of that changed is that I had a stereo installed and the cable for the power was put under the carpeting on the passenger side and the guy removed all the paneling on that side. The weird part of that situation though is that the plastic cover for the B-pillar doesn't seem to fit quite right. It's a sandwich kind of thing, where there is the plastic piece that is fitted to the actual metal of the B-pillar where the seat belt connects to and then the plastic piece that covers that metal from view from the inside. That inside piece is off just about 1/8th of an inch to the rear and no matter what I do, it won't stay where it's supposed to be. I can move it with my hand and make it close like it should be, but as soon as I remove pressure, it pops back to the way that it is.

Sorry for the wall-o-text, just trying to be as thorough as possible.

Thanks
Zak
Old 07-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Creaking/Popping coming from passenger door

ttt
Old 07-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Maybe theres a bit of rust causing it to creak a bit and bolts holding the doors might have came loose over time. spray some wd-40 and see if that get rid of the creak, and adjust your doors so that they dont hit anything.