Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crappy fake HID bulbs fried something

Old 10-21-2006, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crappy fake HID bulbs fried something

I'm not in the same town as my car at the moment and so I can't check the fuse. When I bought the car (in my sig) one headlight was messed up so my brother and I replaced the bulbs. He had a set of these fake HID blue bulbs and I shoulda known better that let hm put them in. In my 95 EX coupe he had them in when it was his. After I bought it from him he had regular bulbs in. One light sometimes worked, sometimes didn't, then eventually not at all. I knew it wasn't the bulb and I was going to the mechanic for other stuff anyway. He said that the high power draw of those blue bulbs melted something. What I don't remember. He fixed and didn't even change the bulb. I never once changed them the 2 years I had it.

Now to what happened now. I get out of work and go to 96 hatch and start it up and let the defroster defog the windshield while I talk to my co-workers. Well the windshield is defogged I hop in and turn the headlight ****. Only the corners and taillights come on. I know I turned the **** all the way. WTF. I grab a spare bulb I had in the glove box and put it in. I turn the ****, NOTHING. I had to leave the car there and have my dad take me home. I got up this morning before leaving town to go with my dad to bring my car back home.

Do ya'll think I blew a fuse or melted something again? i think it is the fuse cause they were both out.

Also can someone suggest a good bulb to use that won't screw up stuff. I kinda like the idea of the JDM yellow bulbs on Password JDM but I don't know if they have a high power draw like the blue ones. It makes sense to use JDM bulbs in JDM Type-R headlights doesn't it. I may just stick plain bulbs in just so they can be at least functional which is what I really need.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crappy fake HID bulbs fried something (Techy)

most of the time the left and right headlights are run through seperate fuses. you may want to pop your hood and fuse box cover and see if the headlight fuses are blown.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll do that thanks.

anybody have any idea what melts when you use high power bulbs. I can't for the life of me remember what my mechanic told me melted in my 95. All I know is I ain't using them things anymore. Only standard power draw lights for me.

I'd still like to knwo about them yellow ones. JDM kinda skipped over my town so I like to be different. It's all ricer crap over here.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Techy)

Most of the time higher watt bulbs melt the bulb socket and the amp draw the bulbs want can melt and damage the wiring as well......

As long as you use the standard wattage bulbs (55low-60high) you can use any flavor bulb you want.