Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crankshaft pulley removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft pulley removal

Is there another way to get the crankshaft pulley off on a D16 other then purchasing the official honda tool? Also I'm in the VA area, is there place I can go to in person to purchase this tool if I definantly need it? thanks.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley removal (mustninty20)

if u get the correct sized socket to go on there, what i did was take a long strong pice of metal and slide it down from the top, you put two bolts on the pulley across from eachother and get someone to hold the bar between them , and the other reffs on the nut.

Another way is to put the socket and ratchet on there get a long prybar on the end...jam it up against somethign on the casr that is sturdy and blip the starter a quarter turn..that worked on my gf's tibby, although it was quite violent lol.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley removal (combz)

peoblem is motor is out of the car and sitting on my garage floor. I dont have access to a cherry picker right now so I'm stuck with wrestling the ******* thing around the slippery garage floor. thanks for the info but i dont see that working in my case.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the flywheel still attached?

If its on the ground you can put a 1/2 ratchet with a 19mm socket on there and then a 17mm 12pt on the flywheel with a breaker bar.

When you go to loosen the pulley it will wedge the bar on the other side against the ground. Would be easier with two people
Old 09-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley removal (95ProjectEJ1)

Impact if you have air.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley removal (smileycvc)

no impact or flywheel. It was an automatic
Old 09-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Impact if you have air. </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ that would be ideal.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ditto on the Impact gun.

I tried breaking mine loose while the engine was in my car and we put so much torque on the bolt we were slipping the clutch!!!

We had a 300ft/lb Impact gun going at it for nearly 5 min straight before it came off, and even then it cracked the ******* pully.

*edit*

I had a friend try to use the honda tool and it infact failed.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley removal (Dasfinc)

Well about the honda tool, can you only find it online? Or is there some place that sells it? Advanced and autozone had no clue what i was talking about. I gotta feeling using that tool might be my only chance.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm telling you man, Impact gun is the only thing thats gonna make your life easy. borrow one from a friend or something.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mustninty20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well about the honda tool, can you only find it online? Or is there some place that sells it? Advanced and autozone had no clue what i was talking about. I gotta feeling using that tool might be my only chance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, the parts store won't have a clue. you don't need honda's special tool. dont waste the money.

you are going to have to go back to the part store and pick up a chained vise grip (i found mine at autozone). basically it is a vise grip, but has a chain on it. you will need 2 people (you and someone else) and use the vise on the pulley (with the belt off of coarse) while the other person uses a breaker bar at the bolt.

also, you can heat up the bolt or try a crap load of wd-40. the best way though is what has already been mentioned, air tools.

what ever you do, DO NOT STEP ON THE BREAKER BAR WITH YOUR FOOT! have seen this before and i have also see the head of the bolt break. you don't want that to happen.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:07 AM

yeah i'm havin fun trying to get mine off so i can replace the main bearings. tried everything except putting the two bolts in the crank. had an air compressor but it blew up so working on getting one, who knows maybe today will go better than yesterday.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:01 AM
sifu pai mei

Default Re: (blk94ex)

crankcase pulley holder $25 at amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...Q8TUA
Old 09-14-2007, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LaosGuySi)

I tried most of the above methods, the only thing that worked for me was the 25 dollar tool. I got mine off Ebay. even WITH the tool it was a bitch, I used a 4 foot cheater bar on my breaker to get the bolt broke loose.

My impact wouldn't do it, you have to have a decent quality impact for it to even come close.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Re: (Maireeka)

I have even tryed heating the bolt up beacause it wont break loose. But i have heard to many bad things to about that so i have only tryed it once and it didnt even make a difference. Even with a big cheater bar on a breaker bar the problem is my front fender is still way to low to get any pull. The frame of the car stops the bar from going up and getting enough tourqe to break the bolt.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H22ARunninHard)

really the easiest way is an impact. I used a 700 ft/lb one and it came off like no ones business..
Old 09-16-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Re: (greenblurr93)

here's how you do it without an air compressor and an impact gun.....

what you need....
1) six foot steel pole
2) two 6 inch long half-inch drive extensions
3) half-inch drive breaker bar
4)17 mm socket
5) about a three foot long pry bar (or something to stop the crankshaft from spinning)

once you've dropped the trans and removed the clutch and flywheel stick two of the flywheel bolts back into the crankshaft, then stick in the pry bar and prop it on something sturdy enough to keep the crankshaft from spinning. then connect all your extensions and go to town with the breaker bar and 6 foot pole. don't use anything smaller than a half inch drive extension or socket because all they do is break. went through 5 of them before we went and bought the half inchers. also dont be suprised if you bend your pry bar into a u.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blk94ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

once you've dropped the trans and removed the clutch and flywheel stick two of the flywheel bolts back into the crankshaft, then stick in the pry bar and prop it on something sturdy enough to keep the crankshaft from spinning. then connect all your extensions and go to town with the breaker bar and 6 foot pole. don't use anything smaller than a half inch drive extension or socket because all they do is break. went through 5 of them before we went and bought the half inchers. also dont be suprised if you bend your pry bar into a u. </TD></TR></TABLE>

remove the tranny, clutch, and flywheel? man i would hate to work on a car with you. you do know that there is no reason to remove the tranny just to unbolt the crank pullley. but if you like working harder and not smarter, then by all means. carry on.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (philosofy1)

The easiest way to get the crank pulley off when you don't have access to air tools is to take it to a local garage, pay them $20 and have them use their huge tools to unbolt the crank pulley, put never-seize on it and reinstall it to 140 foot pounds or something that you can easily get off with hand tools at home.

Done deal.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

ok genius then how am i suppose to drop the crankshaft with the trans still attached? next time ask before you try and make a misinformed decision about someone.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blk94ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok genius then how am i suppose to drop the crankshaft with the trans still attached? next time ask before you try and make a misinformed decision about someone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL! You speak of misinformed and you're sitting here telling someone they need to remove their transmission to get a crank pulley off? Are you serious?

Why would someone remove the crankshaft because they needed to replace the pulley? Enlighten me
Old 09-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blk94ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok genius then how am i suppose to drop the crankshaft with the trans still attached? next time ask before you try and make a misinformed decision about someone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

let me tell you how much of i genius i am. the op wants to remove the crank pulley not the crank, NOOB! so there is no need to ask now that i know you have no reading comprehension. so like i said i wouldn't want to work with you.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 PM

if you paid so much attention to the whole thread you would've seen this.....

yeah i'm havin fun trying to get mine off so i can replace the main bearings. tried everything except putting the two bolts in the crank. had an air compressor but it blew up so working on getting one, who knows maybe today will go better than yesterday.

...... taken from a post i put on there. thats why i needed to drop the trans..... sorry to "misinform".
Old 09-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blk94ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you paid so much attention to the whole thread you would've seen this.....

...... taken from a post i put on there. thats why i needed to drop the trans..... sorry to "misinform".</TD></TR></TABLE>

so you are a thread jacker? who cares what you posted, it has nothing to do with the original post, i'm posting to assist the OP:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mustninty20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there another way to get the crankshaft pulley off on a D16 other then purchasing the official honda tool? Also I'm in the VA area, is there place I can go to in person to purchase this tool if I definantly need it? thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so you posting about removing trannies and what not will only confuse him. now if you need help on your problem, then you can start a new post on a new thread and i can assist you on that too.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:59 PM

then i would be bitched at for making another thread about the same topic. myself and the op had the same goal.... i just took it a little further. i thought h-t was a site to come to for help on honda's and discussions about such.... not a place to come and be belittled by someone else. obviously the op isnt even responding anymore so his problem is taken care of as is mine.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft pulley removal