Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crankshaft pulley fell off

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft pulley fell off

So I'm driving around last night, and all of a sudden my stereo cuts out and the battery light comes on. I just replaced the battery not a month ago, so I figure the alternator must have crapped out. Then I realize that not only did the battery lose power, but I no longer have power steering or A/C.

I could still drive OK and start the car, so I just went home and waited until today to take a closer look. I figured maybe my belts had somehow come off, so I take a look and...what? The whole crankshaft pulley (or harmonic balancer, whatever you want to call it) is missing. Yeah, as in not there anymore.

Note, I had my stereo up loud, so I didn't hear or feel anything unusual when it happened, just a sudden loss of electrical power.

In an amazing stroke of luck, when it fell off, it got wedged between the engine and chassis, so even after driving 10 miles, it never completely fell out. I'm lucky that I have it, and it seems in fine condition. The bolt, however, is MIA. The local Honda dealership has them one for $9, so I'm not worried.

Anyway, I'm going to attempt to repair it tomorrow, but I've never done this kind of job before, so I could definitely use some help. What do I have to remove to get to it? What tools do I need? What torque does the bolt need to be? My Haynes manual only goes as far as adjusting the belts, which is helpful, but not enough.

Anyone have a diagram or some tips for me?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 10-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley fell off (thenickaman)

Do you still have the key for the pulley?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley fell off (95ProjectEJ1)

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're referring to. All I have is the pulley itself, and I haven't gotten a chance to look at the side of the engine where it goes yet.

Also I forgot to mention (duh) the model this is for. It's a 1996 Civic EX w/ D16Y8.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley fell off (thenickaman)

If you look at the pulley that is a lil notch in it where a small "key" goes. Its a small rectangular piece of metal. The notch in the crank should match it
Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM
GO GIANTS!

What happens if you loose this "key"? Guess go to Honda?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley fell off (HondamanXxX)

JB weld.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley fell off

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What happens if you loose this "key"? Guess go to Honda?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would imagine so...
Old 10-23-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley fell off (homemadeturbo)

Hopefully since they have the bolt they'll have the key too. If not, what, do I just fill in the slot with JB Weld? I don't like the sound of that...
Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 PM
GO GIANTS!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What happens if you loose this "key"? Guess go to Honda?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would imagine so... </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-23-2007, 08:49 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley fell off (HondamanXxX)

if you lose the key, not really a problem..except for the fact that you have to go to the stealership to get a new key, which is only sold with the crank pulley
Old 10-23-2007, 08:51 PM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley fell off (n1_egsex)

Oh yikes...
Old 10-23-2007, 08:52 PM

tools needed are a 17 MM socket.. and rachet. pull the tire off the drivers side and put pully back on the crank.. after you make sure you have the key and bolt.. then tighten it back to spec.. youll need a tourqe wrench.. to tighten it back to spec.. not sure what that is off top of head.. maybe someone else will chime in with right specs.. extermly easy job todo.. nothing to worry about.. just make sure the pully is seated ont he crank propely.. and that the key is there too..
Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley fell off (projekt-sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projekt-sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tools needed are a 17 MM socket.. and rachet. pull the tire off the drivers side and put pully back on the crank.. after you make sure you have the key and bolt.. then tighten it back to spec.. youll need a tourqe wrench.. to tighten it back to spec.. not sure what that is off top of head.. maybe someone else will chime in with right specs.. extermly easy job todo.. nothing to worry about.. just make sure the pully is seated ont he crank propely.. and that the key is there too.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, thats very helpful. I've never had to do anything with a crank pulley, and I found no information online. My haynes manual was useless, as usual for uncommon things like this.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley fell off (n1_egsex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n1_egsex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you lose the key, not really a problem..except for the fact that you have to go to the stealership to get a new key, which is only sold with the crank pulley </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true. I just bought one for a '95 del Sol VTEC a month ago. Cost me $0.87.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:22 PM

Just an update...

Ok, so I've been working on it all day but can't quite get everything right.

I got the pulley on fine, got the bolt & key from honda ($9 and $3), and put all the belts on.

Other than the bolts for the a/c compressor and alternator being so effing hard to get to and adjust, the only problem I'm running into is getting the pulley bolt to torque properly. Once it starts to get tight, it just turns the whole crankshaft with it. Putting it in gear does nothing (it's an automatic, not stick...stop laughing). Theres no way I'll be able to get it to 139 lb/ft of torque with just a torque wrench.

I don't have an impact wrench, so if theres anyone who's done this before, is there some kind of special tool to hold the pulley in place?

Anyone live in the Orlando area that could loan me one?

Old 10-24-2007, 04:25 PM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: (thenickaman)

Maybe this will help you out.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2123845
Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley fell off (homemadeturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by homemadeturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JB weld.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WHAT THE FU*K? why even post dood, your a retard!

yeah just replace the key with JB weld,

And you can buy the key at a honda or acura dealership. its like $2.50
Old 10-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley fell off (Dasanib20T)

this also happened to me, you just wrench it on as hard as you can, but it will start spining the pulley, you need to find some1 with an air compressor and get that bitch ON, a local tire shop should hook you up, most wont because of a liabilty issue, but just find one that isnt so picky. les schwab and discount tires, wont do it
Old 10-24-2007, 11:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to some mechanic shop, ask them to use their air compressor to tighten up the crank pulley. They should let you use it no prob.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:21 AM

Default Re: (Lasty K)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lasty K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go to some mechanic shop, ask them to use their air compressor to tighten up the crank pulley. They should let you use it no prob.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do NOT use an impact gun to put the pulley on.

If you are going to be buying a new bolt from the dealer, you will be getting the new replacement style bolt which is installed differently than the stock bolt that came with the car. It will come with detailed instructions telling you how to install it. It is basically torque all the way, then loosen completely. Then torque to a certain value, then rotate the bolt 60 degrees. It's a hexagon so that part is easy. Then you let it idle for 3 minutes, then turn another 60 degrees. It's vaguely like that, just make sure you read the instructions carefully when you get your new crank pulley bolt.