Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crankshaft pulley Bolt!!! WTF. WONT COME OUT!! PLEASE HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft pulley Bolt!!! WTF. WONT COME OUT!! PLEASE HELP.

I need some help/suggestions on how to get this god damn crankpulley bolt off. I tried an impact gun and WD40. That **** isnt coming off at all! The pulley just keeps spinning and I cant figure out a way to stop it from spinning. I NEED HELP!!!

Maybe some ways to get a new timing belt on without removing the crankshaft pulley? AAAHHHH!! I hate this ****.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley Bolt!!! WTF. WONT COME OUT!! PLEASE HELP. (JSPECHB)

With mine I turned the air compressor up really high and my father used a metal pipe thing as a wedge to hold the pulley. It spun the bolt loose, but that was after trying several times with different methods.....
Old 02-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

seriously its because your air gun is weak... you really need to get a strong gun and get it popped open.. do not try any other method, it will strip the bolt and then you will be really ased out... worst comes t worst, go to some mechanic shop and they can bust a bolt for you no problem... heck they might even do it for free too...
Old 02-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crankshaft pulley Bolt!!! WTF. WONT COME OUT!! PLEASE HELP. (JSPECHB)

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SP-60100.html
Try using that sucka. Looks pretty hefty.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:15 PM

I hate this ****. I'm almost done the mini me swap and everything went smooth but this.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:15 PM

Heat the head with a torch untill it glows a little and then hit it with the impact it should come right out, I have done probably close to fifty that way. You can also get a break over bar and put it on the bolt then hit the starter and that work sometimes also, just make sure it all going the correct way.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:23 PM

Kinda hard to hit the starter a few times when I cut the old timing belt off. LOL
Old 02-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm ur timing is gonna b f'ed up now ur pistons have been moving but not the cams
Old 02-12-2004, 04:29 PM

OK, what the ****. :-\
Old 02-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (JSPECHB)

your timing won't be messed up as long as you make sure the #1 piston is at tdc. Stick something in the #1 spark plug hole and see when it gets to the top and that should be tdc.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:07 PM

Default Re: (JSPECHB)

There are also these things known as timing marks...You will need to wedge a pry bar in between the gear and the block so that you can stop the crank from turning, you don't want to turn it to much without the cam moving, it is an interference engine and turning it by hand or impact, although not fast is still damaging to the valves.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (reward_1000)

heres now we do ours(i couldnt find that tool listed on that site above so this is our way of taking it off)

1. take off that cover underneith your flywheel(look under the car where the tranny and header meets)

2. stick a phillips screwdriver in the back portion of the tranny( stick in the flywheel area to prevent it from spinning, stick it in between the teeth and tranny casing so it'll get jambbed)

3. now try to loosen the crank pulley bolt... repeat the process as needed, you will likely do it more then once

now to tighten the bolt back up do it in the reverse order, stick the screwdriver in the front side of the tranny casing(underneith the car)

note: this is how we do it on our motors, we've done it numerous of times with no damage at all, but do it at your own risk...
Old 02-12-2004, 08:38 PM

Default Re: (DOHCtorTHRUST)

get the SNAP-ON 1000ft/lbs impact gun.....that will get that ****** off
Old 02-12-2004, 08:43 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHCtorTHRUST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heres now we do ours(i couldnt find that tool listed on that site above so this is our way of taking it off)

1. take off that cover underneith your flywheel(look under the car where the tranny and header meets)

2. stick a phillips screwdriver in the back portion of the tranny( stick in the flywheel area to prevent it from spinning, stick it in between the teeth and tranny casing so it'll get jambbed)

3. now try to loosen the crank pulley bolt... repeat the process as needed, you will likely do it more then once

now to tighten the bolt back up do it in the reverse order, stick the screwdriver in the front side of the tranny casing(underneith the car)

note: this is how we do it on our motors, we've done it numerous of times with no damage at all, but do it at your own risk...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i did the same thing and worked like a charm
Old 02-12-2004, 08:46 PM
mike93eh

^^ thats what i do also
Old 02-12-2004, 09:41 PM

buy a crank pulley tool. It will make your life alot easier. All i did was use a breaker bar and the pulley tool... screw power tools, use arm strength! haha
Old 02-12-2004, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley Bolt!!! WTF. WONT COME OUT!! PLEASE HELP. (VinceVTEC)

ONLY tools required right here:

19mm socket
long extension 1/2 drive
1/2 drive rachet
4' breaker bar
and a flathead screwdriver

Wedge that screwdriver in the flywheel and have at it.

Mike
Old 02-12-2004, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley Bolt!!! WTF. WONT COME OUT!! PLEASE HELP. (sledgehammer)

Blue Point Impact
Old 02-12-2004, 11:16 PM

You will need a chain wrench to keep the pulley from moving and a strong *** air gun. Good Luck.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:29 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHCtorTHRUST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heres now we do ours(i couldnt find that tool listed on that site above so this is our way of taking it off)

note: this is how we do it on our motors, we've done it numerous of times with no damage at all, but do it at your own risk...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup,..thats how we do it,..i always have a buddy help me,..he would jam the flywheel while im loosening the bolt or torgueing it to 130ft lb
Old 02-13-2004, 03:15 AM

1100 ft lb impact gun owns you......

That is what I had to use to break it loose for the first time.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:16 AM

we did it on my buddys car by taking out the starter and a clutch bolt and put a screwdriver in the hole, than we cranked it off with a 1/2" drive breaker bar and got it off. we anilated the teeth though

Modified by 88hondahatch at 5:32 AM 2/13/2004
Old 02-13-2004, 06:38 AM

yo call my *** up today bob n ill bring the torches over ur ****, lmao dont ever call ne1 for help, lol ***!
Old 02-13-2004, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft pulley Bolt!!! WTF. WONT COME OUT!! PLEASE HELP. (MikeNice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MikeNice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You will need a chain wrench to keep the pulley from moving and a strong *** air gun. Good Luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I have one of those, used it to replace the timing belt before the motor went into my car. Worked great. Tried to use it to get pulley off motor while in my car, I wedged it against the ground and ended up crushing the grooves for the A/C belt (luckily I don't need it) and still didn't get it to budge. Point is just be careful with it,mistakes can be costly.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:35 AM

Default Re: (BScott13)

hey if you guys are in NJ I have the crank pulley tool you can borrow...I'm in central, PM me if you want

Quick Reply: Crankshaft pulley Bolt!!! WTF. WONT COME OUT!! PLEASE HELP.