Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

cranking so long for car to turn on

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cranking so long for car to turn on

whenever my engine is cold(not drivin or turnd on for couple hours) it takes a very long crank for my car to turn on. what do you guys think is wrong? ive been told many diff things.. guy from autozone told me my fuel injectors are bad. my friends told me its my battery. but im not sure. but im scared one of these days it wont even turn on no mroe.. so please helpp
Old 09-30-2006, 09:07 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chances are it's a battery or alternator issue.

Bad fuel injectors is the worst diagnosis of that problem I've ever heard. He might as well have said it was your tail lights.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

"Chances are it's a battery or alternator issue.
Bad fuel injectors is the worst diagnosis of that problem I've ever heard. He might as well have said it was your tail lights."

So is the battery & alternater. If it was a power issue it wouldn't have enough power to create a long crank. Sounds to me like a few things.

1) Weak spark
Check ignition. dizzy/cap/rotor, wires, spark plugs so on.
2) Main relay maybe on its way out.
3) Clogged fuel filter.
Go check!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:47 PM

Default Re: (HatchSpeeD)

alright well. i recently got a tune up with ngk sparkplugs+wires, new filter, and a whole new dizzy. couple months ago..
Old 09-30-2006, 09:48 PM
HT White Ops

When batterys are low, and cold, they have trouble producing enough power to crank. That's why they reccomend you check/change your battery before winter hits.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:54 PM

so its prolly my battery? ive been told its my battery from my friends because they say my motor is new since its a jdm motor with only 50k milage but im using my old stock battery that came with my 97 hatch. but i dunno if thats the problem.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:56 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (ph0shizzle)

Only one way to tell. Go to autozone, and have them test the battery.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cranking so long for car to turn on (ph0shizzle)

Hey, i posted this earlier:

Ok, I have helped out a few of you with trouble starting problems. I have more tips on turn overs and such.
- if the engine doesn't turn over, wait for a few seconds, press in the accelerator about half way and turn the ignition on; if that doesn’t work, try pressing in the accelerator half way, turn the ignition on, and start to pump the accelerator. if this fails, stop, you will flood you engine.
- try not to let your fuel level get below 1/4 of a tank at all times. this will mess up your fuel filter, and you will have to replace it often.
- when my car sits in the sun for a long period of time, or in the cold weather over night, it has this problem, so try to avoid weather climates as much as possible.... Garage, shaded areas...you get the idea
- before trying to turn over, turn your ignition all the way, but do not try to turn over the engine, just turn the ignition all the way so all the electrical components are on. let the car sit for 5-10 seconds then turn the engine over.
*** this trick seems to work every time for me.
-replace the battery
Old 09-30-2006, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Stock engine and ECU?

If you running Crome, there are some compensation settings you can use to help you in winter time, especailly if you have bigger injectors...

If not then start with the battery and work your way up. As stated above, fuel injectors is the worst bullshit someone can tell you. Especailly people who work at autoparts stores, because they know jack **** and just like to blame it on the injectors because they are all hardcore about carbs....

Ive seen less than a handful of injector failurs, and they are usually because of install or user problems. Im using OBD 0 injectors with over 200000 miles and are 18 years old and NEVER give me problems.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:02 PM

Default Re: cranking so long for car to turn on (JDM_Spec_SI-R)

oh... damn thats a lot of cautions. but whats causing the problems? because other cars dont have to take those precautions. but yeaa. my gas is at like 1/10 right now.. hah.. its at the E..
Old 09-30-2006, 10:03 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Max Kling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Max Kling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stock engine and ECU?

If you running Crome, there are some compensation settings you can use to help you in winter time, especailly if you have bigger injectors...

If not then start with the battery and work your way up. As stated above, fuel injectors is the worst bullshit someone can tell you. Especailly people who work at autoparts stores, because they know jack **** and just like to blame it on the injectors because they are all hardcore about carbs....

Ive seen less than a handful of injector failurs, and they are usually because of install or user problems. Im using OBD 0 injectors with over 200000 miles and are 18 years old and NEVER give me problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Werd. All the failed injectors I've seen are from people having shitty tunes and maxing out their duty cycle.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most people who work at pepboys, autozone, and the advance auto are just high school drop outs. they give you a line of **** thats not true. your better of asking your imaginary friend then one of them
Old 09-30-2006, 10:04 PM

its a jdm d15b motor with a obd1 chipd p28..
Old 09-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_Spec_SI-R)

i bet if you fuel up, it wont do it, my **** does this all the time. follow the tips i left.
use the last tip about turning on all your electricals...
Old 09-30-2006, 10:06 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: cranking so long for car to turn on (ph0shizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ph0shizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh... damn thats a lot of cautions. but whats causing the problems? because other cars dont have to take those precautions. but yeaa. my gas is at like 1/10 right now.. hah.. its at the E.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's also another issue. Low fuel pressure. You've got a 97 hatchback which doesn't have an fuel tank pressure sensor, so it relies on manual pressure from your fuel line. Try letting your car sit on accessory for 10 seconds before cranking.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cranking so long for car to turn on (Eran)

Thank you Captian obvious
Old 09-30-2006, 10:07 PM

alright well if i turn my ignition on for about 5 seconds then turn on the car and it turns on correclty. is that normal ? my car turns on fast when its being jumpd.. if that matters..
Old 09-30-2006, 10:09 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Spec_SI-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank you Captian obvious</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you just following me around being a crabass? You need a nap and a bottle.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ph0shizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright well if i turn my ignition on for about 5 seconds then turn on the car and it turns on correclty. is that normal ? my car turns on fast when its being jumpd.. if that matters..</TD></TR></TABLE>

This thread would have ended a long time ago if you had mentioned your car was out of gas.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just turn your key all the way, but dont turn the car over, if you got a stick, just dont put in the clutch and turn the key, let the car sit for 5-10 sec. then turn the car over
Old 09-30-2006, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eran is just a little upset because he bought shitty lightbulbs, dont mind him, he will be ok in 4-5 days. back to the subject
Old 09-30-2006, 10:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This thread would have ended a long time ago if you had mentioned your car was out of gas.</TD></TR></TABLE>
no.. because it still happens when i have a full tank when i go to my car in the morning.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:12 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Spec_SI-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Eran is just a little upset because he bought shitty lightbulbs, dont mind him, he will be ok in 4-5 days. back to the subject</TD></TR></TABLE>

And this kid is just mad because I didn't buy hella jdm purple bulbs like he did. If you'd like to do an actual test of my bulbs vs your bulbs, I'd be happy to put some real scientific evidance to it. But maybe wave physics are beyond your scope.
Honda-Tech Member

try replacing your fuel filter too. also buy some intake manifold cleaner, and use 44k when you replace your oil
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ph0shizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no.. because it still happens when i have a full tank when i go to my car in the morning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then test your battery at autozone. It's free.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you running P08 maps? I never ran my P28 in cold weather. I know it ran rich in the summer time.

Could be the problem is your not running the right fuel maps for your car, but honestly the P28 and P08 maps arent too different.

Quick Reply: cranking so long for car to turn on