cranking but not starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cranking but not starting

car:
93 civic ex, stock d16z6, 2 door, 5 spd, 146,xxx miles

How the Problem started:
Was driving home lastnight on the freeway going about 65mph, in 5th gear, when out of nowhere car starts to slow down and when i pus the gas no throttle or power, car keeps slowing down until it comes to a complete halt, meanwhile everything else is working normally like the radio and dash lights. When it stopped it was off, i tried to crank it but it just keeps cranking but not starting, when i let go of the crank, i hear a winning noise (sort of). No CEL (Check Engine Light)

I put the test light on one of the spark plug wires and it's not getting any spark, so i'm guessing it's the distributer? or maybe just the wires....also fuel pump and relay could be an issue, or water pump?

until now the car will just crank forever it seems if u hold the key in ignition, it just wont turn over, battery and alternator are fine. how can u tell if it's the starter or it's not getting spark or fuel? well for one it's cranking so starter is fine, but im not shure if it's the spark part or the fuel thats missing. went to honda, they tried to rape me with a $614 distributer, im gonna try autozone should be around 200$?

Recent work done to car:
-Changed entire tranny....1 month ago
-oil change to mobil 1 synthetic and honda oil filter...1 week ago
-cleaned out throttle body and changed gasket and screwed in the FITV...1 week ago
-was using chevron with techron ( the highest one) for a while, and yesterday when filling up i decided to get some cheapo fuel for some reason 87 at like ampm or something....(drastic fuel change can kill an old car? unlikely? )...yesterday
-sprayed that seafoam in a spray into the throttle body while open...2 weeks ago

im just hopping it's something cheap and easy like maybe a fuse? the relay? or just the spark plug wires or just the coil as opposed to something expensive and time consuming...im not worried about labour, it's the parts!
someone please help me, i need my car back to get to work, im burrowing a temp car right now which wont last long...
Old 06-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: cranking but not starting (Jay-Dee-Em)

just get the coil its about 70 bucks dont buy a new distributor.... and yes honda will gladly rape anybody that wants parts.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: cranking but not starting (siregcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get the coil its about 70 bucks dont buy a new distributor.... and yes honda will gladly rape anybody that wants parts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so from the symptons you read, u definately think it's the dizzy? isnt the coil just a temp fix? better than nothing maybe i can get a new distributor later.....sooo do u definately think its the dizzy?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:34 AM

anybody else?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get a volt meter if dont have one(or that srew driver with a light on the end whatever its called) and have the spark plug wires out to see if your getting any kind of power through them when cranking the car, listen to see if your fuel pump is priming that could be a cause if not working, and make sure your timing is on point. there are other cause Im just in a hurry and thats a start
Old 06-14-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: cranking but not starting (fasthatchb18c1)

I would suspect the dizzy cap and rotor before the coil in this situation. That seems like it should be the first thing you check.

Try using some sandpaper on the contact points of the cap and rotor and see if that will make it fire.

If not, check to make sure that you are getting fuel. If you aren't getting fuel then you may want to check the main relay because it controls both fuel and igniton.