Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

crank pulley problem issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank pulley problem issue

ive read just about every post about this on every darn site i know of, but i came across something interesting or at least debateable. im sure weve all heard the issue that non-dampened crank pulleys like unorthodox (where there is no rubber in the pulley to absorb shock) cause premature crank bearing wear, right? well i have read a debateable argument on this; this writer says most of the issues were crank bearings wearing due to excessive shock but every complainer of this issue had ps,a/c, and alternators still in, thus a 3 belt pulley. so this guy goes on the say that the stress of 3 belts rotating without harmony on 1 undampened pulley causes for a bit of bearing stress but if someone were to remove their a/c and ps, switch to a balanced non-dampened pulley that has the capability of only 1 belt (the alternator belt) then the stress is virtually nonexistent. he goes on to argue that the ctr pulley from honda is a 1 belt pulley (again, only the alternator belt) and has no rubber for dampening. now the ctr may have better crank bearings, but i think his argument is decently valid... so what do you guys think? valid argument or not? well i'll be putting this to the test this weekend when i remove my a/c and ps and install my new unorthodox single belt (alternator only), undampened pulley. i went with the $150 one instead of the $35 ebay one to prove that whatever happens, it is not a low quality, unbalanced piece. i am pieceing together the rest of the small parts for the turbo kit, so i have some time to see over a few months time for review. some people claim to have crank bearing problems within a month or two. again, i bought the unorthodox pulley which only has a spot for the alternator belt. (btw, unorthodox's website claims this is the most streetable pulley they make, i wonder why?) i will post pics of the install this week...

oh and this guys last line cracks me up; "we all know someone who knows someone, or have read a post from someone we dont know, who knows someone that the crank issue has happened to. -the knowledge of a dumbass spreads like a wildfire. let me be the first to say... i call bullshit."
Old 11-23-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: crank pulley problem issue (saveacivic)

I had a aluminum, unbalanced crank pulley that was designed for all 3 belts, and I only had the alternator on it. After about 3 months my oil pump exploded and I almost lost my whole engine. I switched back to a big heavy *** stock one now to be safe. If you have the money( like $350-$400) get the Fluidamper, its hands down the best one you can get. DONT BUY AN ALUMINUM CRANK PULLEY!!! Ive heard that unorthodox balances thiers, but I still wouldnt trust them after what happened on mine...
Old 11-23-2005, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crank pulley problem issue (TurboCoop)

ok, thanks for the input but anyone with a balanced pulley made for 1 belt have this happen?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

people have had problems even with the ctr n1 crank pulley.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crank pulley problem issue (kyden)

OEM or Fluidampr
Old 11-23-2005, 09:06 AM

just put your on and let us know how many miles before something breaks ok!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I currently have a CTR N1 pulley and will be going back to stock! Ever since I had it put on My engine does like to rev higher and faster but, it sounds like it is unbalanced when the car is idling and there is some (very mild/quiet) additional noise that wasn't there before. I only hope I haven't in some way been screwed by this part like other people have. As said before stay OEM or go with a fluidampr or similar product.