Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crank Pulley Bolt won't BUDGE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Pulley Bolt won't BUDGE!

Well, got all my parts from my local honda dealer to change out the timing belt, belt tensioner and water-pump. Not bad around 200, got home and could not get the crank pulley bolt to budge....Is this thing reverse threaded, welded or super-glued in? I weigh in around 235, I put my whole body into it and I mean feet on a full 1/2 breaker bar, back braced against the garage wall...all I did is bust my crank pulley stabilizer bar. Went at this thing for 5 that is FIVE hours did everything but torch the bolt. I read some of the posts on here regarding others and their techniques. I have the HX w..power steering pump pulley and AC Pulley ABSOLUTELY no holes in any of them not even the dampner. My bicycle chain vise grip type pulley stabilizer wrench is too small for the big pulleys, so after breaking my belt type stabilizer wrench I tried to put the chain wrench on the small outer AC pulley---my fear of the whole thing rotating on the dampner rubber was realized but the bolt didn't budge.......HELP
Old 06-16-2005, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crank Pulley Bolt won't BUDGE! (JaxMaxHX)

its regular thread lefty loosey. and yes its a bitch i broke the head off mine before it came loose. i even broke a socket exstention and knuckles craftsman too. you can take it to a shop and have them loosen it then take it home and finish the job. i think the easiest way is a 3/4 drive impact cause trust me a 1/2 impact wont do it or it wouldnt for me.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crank Pulley Bolt won't BUDGE! (e jay one)

this is how my bro and i did it on his crx

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1210322
Old 06-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I am not sure what I just saw, but let's see if I am following what you did? a) you used one breaker bar to lock up the front drivers side wheel, b) took another 3/4" breaker bar to the pulley bolt with extensions, c) put a cheater bar on the one with the extensions to the bolt....and now here is where I get a little lost, your brother stood out of the car and set the breaker bar with cheater while you were in the car and geared it up...Nah! really, that's just spooky.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: (JaxMaxHX)

The best way to do it is with an impact. If you can gain access to air tools it should come right off.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:39 PM

Dont feel bad, your pully is toast if I read your post right, I did the same thing I ussed a big *** pipe wrench on mine braced against the shop floor. Luckily for me the pully snaped at the same time the bolt came loose.

Anyhow theres a post in my sig on how to get this bitch out, you shoulda searched before doing what you did tho, but live and learn I should of too and dident.

A new pully from the dealer is like $85 tho or you can take a chance on a ussed one, I sold one on here to somebody for $20 so thats about the going price.

Good luck!!!
Old 06-16-2005, 07:40 PM

no dont start the motor with the wrench on there it will spin it the wrong way and probably break the head off. he is saying he was in the car and steped on the brakes with the car in gear so the motor wouldnt turn over.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:42 PM

Default Re: (e jay one)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no dont start the motor with the wrench on there it will spin it the wrong way and probably break the head off. he is saying he was in the car and steped on the brakes with the car in gear so the motor wouldnt turn over.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually it would not spin it the wrong way. But none the less it is not a smart idea.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually it would not spin it the wrong way. But none the less it is not a smart idea.</TD></TR></TABLE>
think about it the motor turns counter clockwise asuming your looking at the crank bolt. now if you had your socket with breaker bar on there against the ground and the motor turning couner clockwise its gonna turn the bolt clockwise and snap.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">think about it the motor turns counter clockwise .</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's funny, cuz this looks like it's spinning clockwise.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: (JDM-97CX)

thats weird cause i have no timing belt cover and my car gear spins counter clockwise. hmmm.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's funny, cuz this looks like it's spinning clockwise.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
do you drive a honda? hope so if you do go out a start it then look at your belts and tell me which way they are spinning.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:33 PM

Alright let me just put an end to all the BS right now.

The only right way to do this is with the correct tool as outlined in the thread in my signiture.

Alright end of story. That should help you out even if you did damage the pully like I belive you said in your original post by damaging the vulcanized material holding the two halves toghter.

Also this is a thread about a crank pully not which way a Honda engine turns.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Crank Pulley Bolt won't BUDGE! (nocturnaldragon)

so which way does it turn? i was just lookin out for the post creator.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crank Pulley Bolt won't BUDGE! (e jay one)

Most honda engines (including B's and D's) spin counter clockwise when looking from the cylinder 1 to 4.

I used a 2" breaker bar and had my friend hold the brakes with the car in gear. bolt came off with ease.....
Old 06-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

even with impact guns sometimes they can be a bitch.

they make crank pulley holders one specifically for hondas and another one which is adjustable and has a chain to it.

downside of the chain is it might chip your pulley. i've only had to use the chain once only because 3 air guns couldnt take it off and all 3 had really high lbs or power.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:33 PM

Honda engines spin backwards from that of normal engines, note all other FWD cars (that i've seen) have the transmission on the driver's side. I removed mine by putting the car in 5th gear and holding the brakes while having a friend stand on a ratchet with a long bar for leverage and it came right off.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Crank Pulley Bolt won't BUDGE! (x O 16581 72452 5 x)

There have been soo many threads created on this subject that mods should start deducting points every time a new crank pulley removal thread is created.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:01 AM

If you have to do it ghetto.. i just have someone hold a screwdriver to the flywheel and use a breaker bar and loosen the nut.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMOrangeFever)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMOrangeFever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you have to do it ghetto.. i just have someone hold a screwdriver to the flywheel and use a breaker bar and loosen the nut.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah thats how i did it. my impact gun wasnt doing **** and it was an ingersol-rand 1/2 too
Old 06-17-2005, 07:00 AM

Default Re: (thrty8street)

i work at a honda delership and the way we do it is you heat the **** out of it to get the flat washer behind it hot and take an impact gun with a short socket on it (has to be short for tourqe) and it will come right off.. and yes its righty tighty lefty loosy
Old 06-17-2005, 07:05 AM

try tightening a little then go back to reverse. usually that works best for me.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, I know I screwed up the crank pulley, someone say it again, "Hey man you screwed up your crank pulley!" It's okay, I wish I could say I didn't know better, but I did know better. I thought what the hell, maybe it will break loose without separating from the rubber. Really it didn't matter whether I was torqueing the hell out of the small pulley or the large, the thing was going to separate cuz' all I have for an air compressor is a 35 gallon CH with about 7.5 SCFM at 40PSI and about 5.4 at 90psi.
My biggest fear is breaking that bolt off in the crank.....I think I'm done----I'll just call somebody with the tools and pay them to put the new stuff in. By the way my manual says that thing is torqued to 130 ftlb. ,on this 97 HX.
Anyway thanks for the suggestions and help. I buttoned her all up and drove it to work all this week, no problems, but I am sure when they pull the pulley off it will separate and the guy will call me at my home and say "Hey man you screwed up your crank pulley, you need another one man I can install it for about $150 big green smackers, dude----no good without it man. And I'm gonna say, damn well worth it , dude! I just turned 289, 500 miles on this thing and all I have ever done is basic maintenance. I knew it would cost me some day.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just had to do this to mine but I had the tranny pulled when I did it because I just replaced the rod and main bearings. I put a screw driver through one of the bolt holes in the flywheel that the clutch attaches to and turned the motor to where the screwdriver held it still. Then I took a breaker bar and broke it loose. I had to use my foot to do it... good luck those things are b!tch *** tight. Honda tightens those to 200ft lbs from what Ive heard.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iceman7)

when i did and it probably took about less than 5 minutes to do ..

1) take the boot off of the not all the way just to see the hole slave cylinder goes in(one on transmission)
2) stick a flat head screw driver through the hole
3)try and find the holes in the fly wheel and stick the screw driver in there
4) get someone to hold the screw driver for about 3 mins
5) brake the crank pulley bolt
6) your home free

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley Bolt won't BUDGE!