Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crank Position Sensor CEL

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Position Sensor CEL

Hey Guys,

I have a problem with the 2000 (h22 obdI) civic and would like to run it past you...

Here is the issue i came across a few weeks ago and continues to pop up from time to time...When i first start the car, it sometimes has a hard time firing up, and throws an engine code right away as soon as it does start (CEL 4 Crank Position Sensor)
When this happens, the car has a tendency to stall. If i restart the car, most of the time it starts up and the check engine light does not come on....but returns a day or two later.

I am wondering if you would be able to tell me how i can go about fixing the Crank Position Sensor code..from what i have read, the Crank Position Sensor is located in the distributor?

Would it be as simple as replacing this sensor?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Crank Position Sensor CEL

If the resistance of the sensor is not 350-700 Ohms, then you replace the distributor housing to fix.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondasport2000
Hey Guys,
I am wondering if you would be able to tell me how i can go about fixing the Crank Position Sensor code..from what i have read, the Crank Position Sensor is located in the distributor?
Thanks in advance!
Here's a question: What ECU are you running? OBDI or an OBDII?

Honda moved the crank sensor to the actual crank in later models. The older distributor crank sensors are not accurate enough to properly send signals to an OBDII computer (at least, a computer that is expecting a signal from the crank sensor on the crank).

If you are OBDI then I would say that you need a new distributor. I don't even think the crank sensor is sold seperately. Also, I tried "rebuilding" a distributor with all known good parts, and the damn thing never worked again You can get good aftermarket distributors for a decent price. I've bought a few from Distributor King with great success.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civicgsr
Here's a question: What ECU are you running? OBDI or an OBDII? Honda moved the crank sensor to the actual crank in later models. The older distributor crank sensors are not accurate enough to properly send signals to an OBDII computer (at least, a computer that is expecting a signal from the crank sensor on the crank).
Just a heads up. Both OBDI and OBDII have a Crank sensor in the distributor and both throw a code 4 if faulty. You are thinking about the CKF sensor that is specific to OBDII Civics. This throws an entirely different code.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
If the resistance of the sensor is not 350-700 Ohms, then you replace the distributor housing to fix.
Thanks, i will check that.

Originally Posted by civicgsr
Here's a question: What ECU are you running? OBDI or an OBDII?

Honda moved the crank sensor to the actual crank in later models. The older distributor crank sensors are not accurate enough to properly send signals to an OBDII computer (at least, a computer that is expecting a signal from the crank sensor on the crank).

If you are OBDI then I would say that you need a new distributor. I don't even think the crank sensor is sold seperately. Also, I tried "rebuilding" a distributor with all known good parts, and the damn thing never worked again You can get good aftermarket distributors for a decent price. I've bought a few from Distributor King with great success.

I am running the stock obdI P13 ecu.
Wiring has been fully converted to obdI.
After checking around, i believe you are right about the sensor not being sold seperately.
Looks like i should start looking for a new distributor.

One more question, should i stop driving the car until i get this resolved, or am i ok to drive it till then?

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Just a heads up. Both OBDI and OBDII have a Crank sensor in the distributor and both throw a code 4 if faulty. You are thinking about the CKF sensor that is specific to OBDII Civics. This throws an entirely different code.
My bad. CEL #9 is for cylider position. I'll have to take your word on the sensor that's on the crank. It's been a looong time since I converted and OBDII car to OBDI

Regardless...he needs a new distributor.

I don't think you are going to hurt anything driving the car with that sensor being bad. It just won't run optimally.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i threw that code on my z6, took apart my b7 dizzy an just swapped complete internals to the z6 housing case of the dizzy an she worked like a charm... i even just had my ignition coil go bad an replaced the z6 w/ a b7 an all is working legit... u can always try a friends dizzy first to see if it works "if u have a friend willing & able"... GL
Old 08-14-2009, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondasport2000
One more question, should i stop driving the car until i get this resolved, or am i ok to drive it till then?
The tendency of the engine to stall would be enough for me to stop driving it until the problem is fixed.