Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Crank no start, getting spark not fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank no start, getting spark not fuel

Hey, just picked up a 98 civic lx. It cranks but doesn't start. I am getting spark but no fuel. I was told it has a new fuel pump and I watched him put a new relay in so I know those should be fine. Should I test the fuel pump myself or could there be another issue?
Thanks!
Old 11-03-2017, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Crank no start, getting spark not fuel

Turn the key on but don't crank. The check engine light should come on then go out after 2 seconds. During the time the light is on, the fuel pump should run, you can hear it under the back seat or outside the car. If the pump runs, disconnect the return hose which goes from the fuel pressure regulator to a metal line on the firewall. Disconnect the firewall end and point the hose into a container. Turn key on again and see that fuel comes out.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Turn the key on but don't crank. The check engine light should come on then go out after 2 seconds. During the time the light is on, the fuel pump should run, you can hear it under the back seat or outside the car. If the pump runs, disconnect the return hose which goes from the fuel pressure regulator to a metal line on the firewall. Disconnect the firewall end and point the hose into a container. Turn key on again and see that fuel comes out.
Okay, I did not hear the fuel pump and no check engine light either... This means the fuel pump is the problem right?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you checked all the ECU fuses and the fuel pump fuse?

CEL bulb may be burnt out or removed-- you need to fix that, since having a working CEL is important to detect and diagnose problems.

Do you hear the relay click off 2 seconds after turning the key on? A lot of relays will click on when you first turn the key, but the one that cuts off if the engine is not started would be the fuel pump one.

If relay does click and fuses are good, next step would be to remove the back seat bottom cushion and check for voltage at the fuel pump wires.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Have you checked all the ECU fuses and the fuel pump fuse?

CEL bulb may be burnt out or removed-- you need to fix that, since having a working CEL is important to detect and diagnose problems.

Do you hear the relay click off 2 seconds after turning the key on? A lot of relays will click on when you first turn the key, but the one that cuts off if the engine is not started would be the fuel pump one.

If relay does click and fuses are good, next step would be to remove the back seat bottom cushion and check for voltage at the fuel pump wires.
Should I get a multimeter to check for voltage? Fuses look good. Relay did not click. I have the old one, and a new one and I can't hear either.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the old main relay. It looks fine, there is a little browning on the left there could that he an issue?