Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Couple quesions about my 94 EG HB.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Couple quesions about my 94 EG HB.

Ok first off i would like whoever wishes to reply to this opinion on which product they like and why.

Well i have a 94 Cvic HB and when i first got it the wheel bearing was broken and when i drove it, it knocked like crazy and LOUD, so i replaced it and the knocking went away. But after i peeled out a couple times the knocking came back, i was then told my alignment was probably bad. Then i was told i need B-series axles if i want to be peeling out once in a while. (I have a D15b7) So what i want to know is, what parts can i buy so i can race and not have to worry about wheel bearings and axles breaking so often. (i know parts breakdown, nothing last forever) And what parts do you all recommend?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Couple quesions about my 94 EG HB.

Stop driving like an idiot, and you'll stop breaking parts. Seriously, "burning out" only slows you down.

Also, whoever told you to use B series axles is stupid. Don't listen to them.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so warming up my tires is stupid?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL @racing a d15
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and hey told me using b-series axles are better then using the d-series because there stronger then the d-series. (which i know nothing about)
Old 11-26-2012, 02:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Warming up your tires? Do you even know what optimal tire temps are? Do you know what tire compounds you're running? Yes, what you think is "warming up your tires" is stupid.

Stop street racing, and stop breaking your own car. B series axles won't work, period.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you street race? do you plan on hurting yourself or others? because it will happen eventually. I've known too many people who thought street racing their honda was awesome until they rolled the car doing 75. You gotta pay to play.
B series axles are not usable.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Stop it, just ... stop it. Stop driving idiotically, and you'll stop ******* up your car. Stop giving Honda drivers (and Civics in particular) a bad name. Start reading about how to be a better driver, and start listening to the more intelligent people on this forum who know more than to recommend B-series axles on a D-series engine like one of your "friends" says (who you should probably stop talking to).
Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly idk what all your problem is because no said anything about street racing lol
we have a motorplex here in TX

and deschlong i am trying learn more about my car which is why i posted this and yet you jack asses dont know the meaning of help all you people like to do is rag on people instead od help... when you help someone, you tell them what there doing wrong and then lead them in the right direction not tell them how stupid they are for street racing (which i never said i was street racing) and as for hearing about b-series being better d-series and how i heard it from, no it wasn't from a friend and never did i say i heard it from a friend... so why dont you a**holes learn how to help someone who is trying to learn instead of talking crap just because there not "knowledgeable" as you.

BTW any "knowledgeable" people out there willing to answer, and no stray away from question of the form like someone with there egos so high, feel free to answer the question. I'd really like to know
Old 11-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So this knocking noise back after how many miles?

Are all of the bolts for your suspension set-up tight? Does it knock with the revolutions of the wheels? Only happening on one side? Does it only happen when you are accelerating?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Forgive me -- all I focused on was "peeling out", "breaking parts", "B-series axles on a D-series" and "racing". You can see how it was hard for me to get to the last sentence. But, this does not excuse such a *general* question being ultimately posed in your original post.

I strongly suggest you start reading more - LOTS more - before you start asking such a general question as the one in your original post. Then come back when you have SPECIFIC questions about SPECIFIC parts. I am not trying to be snarky here, nor have a holier than thou attitude. I am suggesting that you become informed on your own before asking for the advice of others.

Finally - for the record, I was helping you by telling you to stop driving idiotically, and start driving like a normal person, regardless if this is on the street or at a motorplex, with your stock vehicle. But, I think you seem to have realized this yourself that bringing a stock vehicle to a motorplex and thinking it will survive the stress without breaking parts, doesn't work.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and you are just gonna need new tires soon if you keep peeling out. I mean if you have money to "burn" then by all means peel out.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Trial User

bottom line is b series axles wont work, are your rotor's warped? if not then just go through and look for warn parts.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So this knocking noise back after how many miles?

Are all of the bolts for your suspension set-up tight? Does it knock with the revolutions of the wheels? Only happening on one side? Does it only happen when you are accelerating?
Idk how many miles but it is a daily, and i do drive almost everyday, and as for the bolts ya there tight, because every other day or so i like to go front of my car to the back checking things and tightening bolts and stuff that dont seem like they should be loose and such. and ya it only happens on one side, when i was told my alinement could be off and thats why its breaking so fast, i can see how that can be sorta true cuz it pulls to the right and me burning out, there pretty much burning out to the right at a high rate of speed so i could see why it would break the bearing i mean i kinda sounds like the same concept of why a skateboard bearing would break but i could be wrong lol

and you are just gonna need new tires soon if you keep peeling out. I mean if you have money to "burn" then by all means peel out.
money isnt an issue, i have a good job so i really dont worry about it much, which is why i burn out without much worry. but ya i do go through a lot of tires lol

bottom line is b series axles wont work, are your rotor's warped? if not then just go through and look for warn parts.
ya im starting to get that now, but i was told that with the point that b-series engines are much stronger then d-series (again i could be wrong so talk crap who cares we're human) but as for the rotors being warped, no. I've gone to the shop here telling them that i wanted new ones, and there reply was "why do you want new ones? These look fairly new" but i do go through my car seeing whats warn and whats not, but i just want to know about parts i can get that are good for racing (and no not street racing for all you so quick to judge) for the 1/4 mile which i do burn out to warm up my tires, whether it be dumb or not i do it. what suspension setup do you think is good for a D15b7?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The axle needs to match the transmission. B series transmissions and D series transmissions don't match. Also, motor for motor, B series aren't necessarily "stronger". They're still fragile as ****.

If money isn't an issue as you claim, get some proper axles from DriveShaft Shop.

To answer your previous question, yes, "warming up" your tires is stupid, unless you know what kind of target temps you want. You can't know target temps without knowing compounds. I'd also put money on you still using street tires, negating the idea of "warming up your tires" even more.

If we want to negate that idea even more, we can talk about LSDs and one wheel wonders. Oh wait, let me guess, you're also swapping front tires between burn outs, right? You're breaking things because you're treating your car like ****, and not driving it correctly. Legal racing or not, your car isn't set up to burn out, and I guarantee you aren't driving far enough to the limit that warm tires even matters.

Now then, to your actual question - the knocking. Have you done anything diagnostic to try to figure out where the noise is coming from? I'm going to guess you haven't.

First, bounce test your car on all four corners. A bounce test is simple - Put the weight of your body directly above the shock on each corner, one at a time, and bounce the car at each corner individually. When you stop bouncing one corner, it should come to rest in less than two rebound cycles (up+down=one cycle). If it doesn't, your shock on that corner is blown. While you're doing that, listen for the knocking noise. If you hear knocking, but the car comes to rest in less than two rebounds, then one of your suspension bushings is shot - go ahead and replace all of them on that axle.

If your shocks pass the bounce test, and you don't hear any knocking, then it's time to lift the car. Either secure it on a shop lift, or on jack stands. Make sure your lug nuts are tight to spec. Grab the tire at 12/6. Try with all your strength to wiggle it. If it wiggles, you have either A) blown ball joints, B) a blown wheel hub bearing, or C) all of the above. Now grab the tire at 9/3. Try again to wiggle it. If it wiggles this time, you have either A) blown tie rods, B) blown tie rod ends, C) a loose steering rack, D) a blown wheel hub bearing, or E) any combination of the above.

After you've done these diagnostic tests, get back with us and we might actually be able to help you solve something, instead of just taking stabs back and fourth about how pointlessly abusive you are to your car.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now then, to your actual question - the knocking. Have you done anything diagnostic to try to figure out where the noise is coming from? I'm going to guess you haven't.
actually i did, which i answered in my first post. (if you would have read thoroughly)what i wanted to know really is what axles and bearings and stuff like that are stronger, like what brands. like i dont want to keep ordering crap from Autozone and Oreilly auto parts cuz all they have is Duralast brands etc. and apparently those aren't cutting it.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Axles, get them from DriveShaft Shop, if you want something stupidly strong. Otherwise, get Honda OEM. For bearings, you want NTN, Timken, or Koyo - all OEM manufacturers.

I just read through the thread again. This is the fourth time now that I've read everything you've posted here. There is zero mention of any diagnostic tests performed, other than "going around tightening up bolts". That isn't diagnostic.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow this got out of hand right away and I know why.
Your question was general, and you need to be specific like what was said a few posts earlier.

So I take it you are drag racing...? Dead giveaway "Motorplex"
But that information didnt come out till your second or third post... idk which i dont want to go back a read again.
You must be specific or people will flame you.

You can drag anything you want B, D, F, two hamsters in a wheel, it doesnt make any difference.
Axels breaking... well some would say OEM doesnt cut it, some would argue.
Personally if I were breaking axels then you should go with an aftermarket one.
Insane shafts make a plethora... lol I like that word "Plethora" of Honda axels for all engine types
D,B,H,F Etc.
http://insaneshafts.com/

There is also the driveshaft shop. Same here.
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import-axles/honda
You have a knocking sound... did you check the wheel bearing race before you replaced it?
If its scared up you should be looking at replacing the hub.
Cant also rule out a bearing in the tranny too?
Much to look at.
Burn outs on street tires is just plain stupid.
They arent a slick compound so you are only wasting good tire material you can use on the street.
Practice clean launches with zero wheel spin. (at the track only)
Suspension for a drag car... im going to say go look on the drag racing forum for opinions from those who drag race.
This is a general forum not a specific one, if you are having issues related to drag racing look in that forum for answers.
FYI car set ups are tuned to the drivers driving style and needs.
One set up does not work for all.
This is something you will have to discover for yourself, trial and error with suspension parts.
Word of caution. Not all aftermarket suspension parts work well with each other.
Some counter act another.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Axles, get them from DriveShaft Shop, if you want something stupidly strong. Otherwise, get Honda OEM. For bearings, you want NTN, Timken, or Koyo - all OEM manufacturers.

I just read through the thread again. This is the fourth time now that I've read everything you've posted here. There is zero mention of any diagnostic tests performed, other than "going around tightening up bolts". That isn't diagnostic.
^,Word sounds like you need to start educating yourself about this car you drag race.
Start off by downloading a maintenance manual.
Get to know and love your civic.
I hug my race car everyday sometimes more than once if i visit the garage numerous times.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
Wow this got out of hand right away and I know why.
Your question was general, and you need to be specific like what was said a few posts earlier.

So I take it you are drag racing...? Dead giveaway "Motorplex"
But that information didnt come out till your second or third post... idk which i dont want to go back a read again.
You must be specific or people will flame you.

You can drag anything you want B, D, F, two hamsters in a wheel, it doesnt make any difference.
Axels breaking... well some would say OEM doesnt cut it, some would argue.
Personally if I were breaking axels then you should go with an aftermarket one.
Insane shafts make a plethora... lol I like that word "Plethora" of Honda axels for all engine types
D,B,H,F Etc.
http://insaneshafts.com/

There is also the driveshaft shop. Same here.
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import-axles/honda
You have a knocking sound... did you check the wheel bearing race before you replaced it?
If its scared up you should be looking at replacing the hub.
Cant also rule out a bearing in the tranny too?
Much to look at.
Suspension for a drag car... im going to say go look on the drag racing forum for opinions from those who drag race.
This is a general forum not a specific one, if you are having issues related to drag racing look in that forum for answers.
FYI car set ups are tuned to the drivers driving style and needs.
One set up does not work for all.
This is something you will have to discover for yourself, trial and error with suspension parts.
Word of caution. Not all aftermarket suspension parts work well with each other.
Some counter act another.
Thanks man, your post was helpful without the bull, and i agree my post was a bit general but general or not this form is about helping the uneducated not act like kids with there egos stuck up there asses. that does two pointless things, waste of time (for me anyways cuz i could careless what they think of me) and two its not answering the question.

but thats besides the point. Again dirty19 thanks for the links and the info i will definitely check them out. really hope i find a good setup lol
Old 11-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

I think most of the people flame because nobody searches.
They are either lazy or dont know how or they just want to be spoon fed.
It gets frustrating seeing 15 "blown head gasket" threads in one day.
Everyone thinks their issue is indiginous to them only, when there are millions of the same problems out there.
So chances are if you have a problem, and want to ask.. its been asked a million times on the forum already.
JBP gave you a link too... before i did.
More FYI.
When you search ,and i hope you learn to do this...
Go to Google,ask your question and include "honda-tech" in the question.
Watch what happens.