Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coupe front end...on four door...the right way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe front end...on four door...the right way?

I have been looking around, and plan to do a write-up on this since NO ONE has seem to done so

but first

for those who have done it this way. please give me some assistance

I have read two ways to do this. Slap the bumper on, replace the corners, and mess with it the best way you can, to get it to line up

OR

Get Driver and Passenger Coupe fenders, Hood, corners, and Bumper and begin the welding :D

I have finally pieced together each of those parts. I want this to line up well, without shifting **** around, and just accepting it.

I have read, in order for this to come out correctly, you have to take the rear 2/3 of the four door fender, and weld the first 1/3 of the coupe fender to it, making it work as the coupe fender is SHORTER than the four door fender.

Now for the welding, where on the fender am i suppose to cut and re-weld this? I will be having a shop do this, but i'm going to make a diagram of it, for better accuracy.

If you have any ideas, or help, or even a write-up i have yet to see, please let me know! Thank you!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gotta ask why the heck would u go thru the trouble of doing all that when u could just get the 4 dr fenders/bumper and call it done ?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by john666
gotta ask why the heck would u go thru the trouble of doing all that when u could just get the 4 dr fenders/bumper and call it done ?
To be different, and I've seen people put 92-95 Civic sedan on a Civic coupe lol
Old 12-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by john666
The four door front end looks like crap, when done right a coupe/hatch front end makes the car look a lot better.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id like to see a picture, this is something i have been considered doing for a long time
Old 12-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I always thought it was similar the 99-00 swap, just take the fenders, hood, corners and front bumper and swap them over, I didn't think you had to cut anything... but correct me if I am wrong...

Edit: I guess you do have to cut the fenders for it to fit perfect... but found this thread with an easy solve https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/%5Bfaq%5D-how-fit-eg-coupe-bumper-sedan-872476/

Last edited by saywhat; 12-15-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:09 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 94EG8
The four door front end looks like crap, when done right a coupe/hatch front end makes the car look a lot better.
I disagree. The 5th gen sedan front end can look great with the right parts. I like that it's a little bit different than the coupes and hatches.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by saywhat
I always thought it was similar the 99-00 swap, just take the fenders, hood, corners and front bumper and swap them over, I didn't think you had to cut anything... but correct me if I am wrong...

Edit: I guess you do have to cut the fenders for it to fit perfect... but found this thread with an easy solve https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872476
Yeah, he did a great job, just doesn't line up the exact way i want it too. But i will definitely keep it in mind since i have all the parts ready. I'm looking to see though, if the hood, is shorter too. I'm not sure if it is or not, but i believe, if i put the coupe bumper on, the hood might have a overbite.

I will just have to wait and see
Old 12-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by NOFX
I disagree. The 5th gen sedan front end can look great with the right parts.
Would you care to shed some light on these parts? I've seen 5th gen sedans with the optional foglights and the JDM sedan front lip, I've also seen pictures of a the JDM SiR sedan with the genuine mugen front lip, i'm still not sold. I agree that you can make the sedan front end look better, but IMO it will never look as good as a coupe/hatch front bumper. I'd just like to see a properly done front end conversion on an otherwise stock sedan so I could really get an accurate idea of how it looks.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here you go

Last edited by messeduprex; 03-17-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not bashing on the way he did it but this is why i'm welding

The sidewall of the coupe bumper and four door fender. The coupe sidewall is thinner than the four door fender.

And because the coupe corner is shorter than the four door corner, you have to pull the bumper behind it, hence, flexing the bumper, and creating that gap underneith the corner light.

He did a good job, but it isn't the way i want it to be. Yes, it takes effort, but if you want to pay off, in picture, in person, do it the right way. No skimping out. Plus, i want to be different,

I'm also repainting my four door Opal Green, like my old baby (R.I.P)

Its all about being different guys. We drive a honda, its hard to be different, but when effort is noticed, it helps too
Old 12-16-2008, 04:43 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Would you care to shed some light on these parts? I've seen 5th gen sedans with the optional foglights and the JDM sedan front lip, I've also seen pictures of a the JDM SiR sedan with the genuine mugen front lip, i'm still not sold. I agree that you can make the sedan front end look better, but IMO it will never look as good as a coupe/hatch front bumper. I'd just like to see a properly done front end conversion on an otherwise stock sedan so I could really get an accurate idea of how it looks.
I think all of those sedan parts look good.

I get tired of the coupe/hatch front end. Sort of like how I get tired of the '99-'00 Civic front end. It feels like I see the same things done to them all the time.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Trust me, i shall grant you this wish
Old 12-16-2008, 06:52 PM

just keep da 4dr front end slap on some amber corners an hid kit fog lights and mugen lip and call it a day
Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My hommie did this swap and it came out perfect, I will have to get him to log on and post pics but either way when doing a front end conversion and I dont know if you have to change out the radiator support or not but really you just cut the fender near the rear and then place up the front half of the coupe fender where there is a little overlap so you can get the length right and just draw a line on the back to cut them in the right place then just bolt it all down and start to make your welds. pretty cut and dry just take a little time. Point was that there really isnt any paticular spot to cut and weld, you just do what ever it takes to make the fender. I posted one up of one I did with a eg with a da front end and on the DA fender it goes all the way down and has no side skirt so we had to do some **** to make that work but still came out pretty damn good
Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i in order to do a 90-91 crx bumper on a 88-89 crx, you would have to use a 90-91 bumper support and bumper support brackets in order for the 90-91 crx bumper sit flush/perfect/seamless/stock on a 88-89 crx.

assuming that this trick might work on the 92-95 civics, i would suggest trying it. yes, you would have a different width on the wheel well, but the coupe bumper does look great on the 4drs. i loved how my old 4dr looked with the coupe front end, specially with the oem ex lip.

my passenger headlight was pushed in for some reason [prior to purchase of car]
but heres some pics:

it is flat black.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd assume, since i have to use the front portion of the coupe fender, if i cut directly down the middle of the wheel well on the coupe and four door fenders, and re-weld there, it should create the length that i am needing.

Last edited by xXViperXx; 12-17-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by xXViperXx
I'd assume, since i have to use the front portion of the coupe fender, if i cut directly down the middle of the wheel well on the coupe and four door fenders, and re-weld there, it should create the length that i am needing.
I always figured cut it immediately after the wheel opening, closest to the door.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

picture that was posted showed exactly where i thought i'd have to cut it. Did you see it? Scroll up
Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by xXViperXx
picture that was posted showed exactly where i thought i'd have to cut it. Did you see it? Scroll up
I saw it, its just not where i'd cut if it was me, the coupe/hatch fender has a wider lip all the way around the wheel opening.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm glad you reminded me ha

I noticed they did, i just wasn't thinking lol. the spot you mentioned, will probably have to be the spot to cut it
Old 12-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing to consider is that being that both fenders are pretty close to each other anyway so that is really the only reason that you could maybe even cut it there but with a more wild front end conversion it would be better to cut behind the wheel well.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll probably have to cut behind the wheel well. Just because of the fender lip, being different sizes
Old 12-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:08 PM

Icon3

I'm trying to do the same thing with the conversion due to that they sell the TYC projectors for the couple/hatch only, and there are alot of aftermarket front bumpers out there that they don't make for the 4-door. What about putting together fiberglass fenders for both those styles? Also, does anyone know yet if the hoods are compatible, don't want to get rid of my 4dr carbon hood. I've grown attached to it...heh.

Quick Reply: Coupe front end...on four door...the right way?