Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Could it Seriusly hurt the motor if i forced the crank clockwise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could it Seriusly hurt the motor if i forced the crank clockwise?

Please help i need to know if i am F@#$ed or not.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Could it Seriusly hurt the motor if i forced the crank clockwise? (tkda)

Your fine
Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Could it Seriusly hurt the motor if i forced the crank clockwise? (Mill-Town)

ok but my motor is not starting,
got fuel spark, and its timed right i think because i never took the Tbelt off
but when i have the motor at Top dead center and put the distributor in it has to twist twards the exhaust manifolt then slid it in.
could my timing be off?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Could it Seriusly hurt the motor if i forced the crank clockwise? (tkda)

If you spin it clock wise you fine,

we need to know what motor you have
Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Could it Seriusly hurt the motor if i forced the crank clockwise? (CTR_B)

sorry.
D15b7
Old 11-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What exactly did you do that involved you spinning the motor over in the first place?

Take the timing cover off and check to see if the timing marks line up.

How to you know your getting fuel?

Everytime I retime my engine or put a timing belt on I spin the motor clockwise and I have never had a problem from it
Old 11-11-2008, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Could it Seriusly hurt the motor if i forced the crank clockwise? (CTR_B)

i have the cover off and the marks are lined up.
i did a clutch and when taking the pressure plate off the flywheel spun.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 PM

sorry.
and the distributor was out.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well on B-series the distributor can only go on one way, If there is not a notch on the fork that goes into the camshaft I would try flipping it around as you might be 180 out.

But as for just spinning the motor backward this is not the cause of your problem.

Your timing is on, you have spark and fuel. I would bet that the dizzy is a 180 out. Try flipping it around and report back
Old 11-11-2008, 10:40 PM

no it goes in one way.

i learned that the hard way by flipng it 180 and bolting, it in then i didnt have spark so i had to go buy a new $200 distributor.

spark yes. fuel yes. ( i pulled the spark plug out and it was still wet with and smelled like gas). all fuses are good. i am thinking it could have jumped a tooth?

But i dont really know. every thing lines up just no start. it did for like 5 seconds but my dad was twisting the distributor twards the front of the car pretty hard and the car sounded like sh@t, so i shut if off.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the timing marks line up then it didnt jump a tooth. Make 100% sure the timing marks line up..
Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tkda
i have the cover off and the marks are lined up.
i did a clutch and when taking the pressure plate off the flywheel spun.
The timing belt tensioner does not work when the engine is rotated clockwise. This is why various procedures that involve turning the crank manually say to always rotate it counterclockwise. You may have lost tension on the timing belt, throwing the timing off by a tooth or likely many teeth every time you tried to run the car. The TB is holding a little tension, because you are getting the dizzy rotor to rotate giving you spark. But the TB likely does not hold enough tension to run the car right.

Follow the manual's steps for replacing the timing belt and very carefully check that the timing is correct. Set the tension per the manual.

You may have beat up the TB during your earlier attempts, so consider replacing it, too.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Could it Seriusly hurt the motor if i forced the crank clockwise? (honda.lioness)

Originally Posted by honda.lioness

The timing belt tensioner does not work when the engine is rotated clockwise. This is why various procedures that involve turning the crank manually say to always rotate it counterclockwise. You may have lost tension on the timing belt, throwing the timing off by a tooth or likely many teeth every time you tried to run the car. The TB is holding a little tension, because you are getting the dizzy rotor to rotate giving you spark. But the TB likely does not hold enough tension to run the car right.

Follow the manual's steps for replacing the timing belt and very carefully check that the timing is correct. Set the tension per the manual.

You may have beat up the TB during your earlier attempts, so consider replacing it, too.
That would be useful but he has already mentioned twice that the timing marks line up. So it cant be off...
Old 11-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it runs but badly, then hopefully you'd through a CEL of some kind. Check the CEL and report back.

If no CEL, and it runs but badly, then it's time retrace your steps exactly and start over from 0. Rotate the correct direction to give the belt tension. Check and recheck timing to ensure everything lines up. Check spark plugs for tightness. Check fuel pressure. Check sensors and plugs for correctness. Check all gasketed areas for leaks.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Could it Seriusly hurt the motor if i forced the crank clockwise? (Mill-Town)

Originally Posted by Mill-Town
That would be useful but he has already mentioned twice that the timing marks line up. So it cant be off...
If he is not setting the tensioner correctly, then he may be losing the timing at every car start. Plus those new to setting timing can easily mess up getting the camshaft marks lined up and the crankshaft at TDC #1 Cyl.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Could it Seriusly hurt the motor if i forced the crank clockwise? (honda.lioness)

True