Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Could a bad clutch cable be affecting a slow 1st gear high rpm take off

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could a bad clutch cable be affecting a slow 1st gear high rpm take off

If you guys have the time, i really need your help with this

Ok the clutch cable is kind of looking bad from heat stress, and im thinking maybe it needs to be replaced and could be the reason for the following problems:
when i take off in 1st gear (trying to get going really quick/racing) i dont drop/dump the clutch
i ease it out but i keep the throttle deep but not in the redline high rpms and ease it out to try and match the tranny, what happens is it kinda feels like the clutch isnt grabbing but on the other hand (im not sure but i think) the wheels are spinning, basically giving me a slow take off in only first gear. I really dont believe that theres anything wrong with the clutch cause other than that, it shifts great and doesnt slip out of gear. Although sometimes when i first get in the car to back it out, i push the clutch in all the way and when i put it in reverse it grinds a little bit.
Which leads me to believe that it could be something wrong with the cable, maybe it needs to be replaced or maybe it needs to be adjusted.
sometimes i feel like i take the cable off one or two of the brackets on the valve cover it feels like it get better, but maybe thats all in my head, is it better to keep it on the brackets?
Im not sure what tranny i have but im pretty sure its a 88-91 honda crx/civic tranny
i looked at a sticker on it to get a code to figure it out but its missing the first two numbers. but all i got was 3-2484980
will all 88-91 civic/crx cables work
Thanks guys
This problem is driving me crazy
Old 03-23-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Could a bad clutch cable be affecting a slow 1st gear high rpm take off (srv3fender)

ive got 195/60/14 performance tires but when i take off it feels like ive got 300 hp and 10 inch rims in first gear if thats makes any sense. Hasnt anyone ever had this problem.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Could a bad clutch cable be affecting a slow 1st gear high rpm take off (srv3fender)

Are you running a stock clutch? If so, approximately how many miles are on it and how has it been driven? There are many factors in what your problem could be. A clutch cable isn't going to be the problem here. You either have clutch slippage or you are getting wheel spin.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Could a bad clutch cable be affecting a slow 1st gear high rpm take off (r3dh4tch)

could i be getting both at the same time. I know that sounds impossible but thats what it feels like. But then again im not positive what clutch slipage feels like

I wanna say its the stock clutch, its not aftermarket. Could have anywhere between
40k and 150k miles on it
Old 03-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by srv3fender &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i dont drop/dump the clutch
i ease it out but i keep the throttle deep but not in the redline high rpms and ease it out to try and match the tranny, what happens is it kinda feels like the clutch isnt grabbing </TD></TR></TABLE>

Stop riding the clutch while revving the engine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by srv3fender &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it kinda feels like the clutch isnt grabbing but on the other hand (im not sure but i think) the wheels are spinning, basically giving me a slow take off in only first gear. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So you can't tell if you're burning the clutch or if your wheels are spinning?

Old 03-23-2005, 11:43 AM

What engine are you running in you car? And also, you should be able to hear wheel spin, usually sounds like screeching but anyways... do you get any odd smells after you take off hard in first gear? or do you get rubber smells? if your clutch has 150k miles on it, most likely it's time for a new one especially if you've been driving it hard. But ive seen clutch setups last for 200k if you drive them nice.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Could a bad clutch cable be affecting a slow 1st gear high rpm take off (r3dh4tch)

im not really riding the clutch, i just dont drop it, but any way i try it i get the same results.

The only odd smell is that off gas, that comes from the muffler, and im basically just running and straight through cat and a muffler with a silencer in it (silencers dont silence ****). The engine is a hybrid setup. Its a d16y8 head from a 98 civic ex, and the block is
a d16y7 from a 2000 civic. I read earlier somethin about cam timing being off by a 1/2 tooth so i went and look at the belt and it was hard to tell the only thing i could see is that on the right side of the cam gear the belt was fairly tight but on the left side it was kinda loose. But im doubting its causing my problem.

I thought of a new analogy. It feels like theres 60 psi in my tires. Maybe i just dont have enough weight in the front. No cause i weigh like 230.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:34 PM

well if you have 60psi in your tires... they're going to spin easily. So... check your tire pressure and see if it's withing 35 - 44psi. I run 35 in mine for daily driving and i know when my tires spin. But now the only thing i can tell you to do is have a buddy or something stand outside your car and launch it the way that you told us you were doing and see if your tires are spinning or if you're clutch is slipping. That's about all the information i can give ya for now.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:53 PM

You're burning your clutch. Revving it to "not quite redline", then riding the clutch = you're burning the clutch and slipping it.

And when you first start the car and go to put it in reverse, push the clutch in, shift into first, then second, then pull it into reverse. I dont know how it works, but something about the gears being out of sync........I think........

For your m@d t1t3 street racing, either get slicks so you can dump the clutch at redline like you seem to almost be doing anyways, or learn how to NOT slip the **** out of your clutch.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:15 PM

it sounds like your clutch is slipping; maybe grabbing enough to start spinning the wheels but not grabbing enough to fully engage
Old 03-24-2005, 05:28 AM

Default Re: (janker)

Ok, let me clarify myself, I dont redline it. the most i would rev it up to is 4000.
And ive tried all different types of take offs including dumping the clutch, easin out, a fast ease out, and an even from idle, and i always keep the throttle steady until i can feel some grab then i push further cause if i give it to much which is easy to do , but its gonna have the tire spin or not crabbing thing happen. usually i have to shift to second to get some grab.
Ive even tried this on really rough rocky concrete.

What is the exact diffinition of a slipping clutch anyway , maybe that will help, i always thought it meant the tranny shifting to neutral on its own while your driving

Now you are positive that the clutch cable has no effect on this at all? Cause it is a little loose down by the tranny.