Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cost of dent removal. Opinions needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of dent removal. Opinions needed!!

My EK has about 20 or so door dings on both sides and the back, oh yes, and the roof! I took it to a paintless dent repair booth and they quoted me 300 to remove all of them.

I am painting the car myself championship white in a couple weeks and this is the final hurdle in the project.

Is this a good deal? And no, I don't want to Bondo all the dents myself due to time constraints.

Please let me know what ya think.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:24 AM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cost of dent removal. Opinions needed!! (93beccalx)

Hrm...

I availed myself of 'dent removal' services a few years ago and it wasn't cheap!

Someone ran a shopping cart into the curbside sliding door of my wife's 1-month old $19K Dodge Caravan.

The 'dent removal' shop did the best they could, but you could still tell where the damage was, if you knew where to look.

I guess my point is...

You're gonna know where every one of those "20 or so door dings" are - even after you paint your car, sooo...

If it was me, I'd take the extra time to do it right!

Dent removal, so called, just puts a messianic band-aid over your owy, IMHO...
Old 06-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cost of dent removal. Opinions needed!! (BlackDeuceCoupe)

$300 is an excellent price. I have a brand newly painted em1. Cost me 8k in paint and body work and I have a dent in the rear quarter. The guy wants 75 bucks to get it out. The main thing is making sure they do quality work. I would ask to see some pics of their work before you do it. Also get quotes from other dent repair places.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You're gonna know where every one of those "20 or so door dings" are - even after you paint your car, sooo...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dang! Did they tell you that ahead of time? This guy told me they would be 99% back to normal. Mostly un-noticable, but you know people say anything for a buck! Do you think it's wise to get the dents knocked out to near perfect and then bondo them when I do the car, or should I just do it all myself? I don't think I'd do a good job......
Old 06-14-2008, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Cost of dent removal. Opinions needed!! (mikeycivic)

[QUOTE=mikeycivic]I have a brand newly painted em1. Cost me 8k in paint and body work and I have a dent in the rear quarter. QUOTE]

That's more than I'd like to spend on the paintjob. I'm doing most of the work myself and buying my own supplies. Plus I'm in the military and they have a DIY paint shop on post and the experts there will paint your car for about $200 for just labor. I'm looking to spend about $1000-1500 total on everything.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:55 AM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cost of dent removal. Opinions needed!! (93beccalx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93beccalx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you think it's wise to get the dents knocked out to near perfect and then bondo them when I do the car, or should I just do it all myself?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that'll work! That way you won't have to mess around with filler (the heavy duty ****).

You can just finish it up with a little glazing putty, which is MUCH easier to work with...

Here's a HowTo: How to work with Spot Glazing Compound for auto body work.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well depending on how bad the dents are and how good these guys are, you can they will usually go un noticed. your not going to see much with white and it sounds like your not looking to be too picky with it. I would go paintless dent removal over any glaze/bondo/etc. That stuff can crack and shrinks as it cures. Shop around and do your homework. A good paintless dent person or company can usually get it to 99-100% back to normal.