Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cost of building an SiR II?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of building an SiR II?

For some reason a SiR II sounds like a good commuter car right now. I was tossing the idea of getting a EG hatch and turning into SiR spec. I'm not planning on a RHD conversion.

Basicly what all do I need to do this?

B16
Power Mirrors
Front bumper
?

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cost of building an SiR II? (Corbic)

plenty plenty more then that. headlights, corners, wing, side moldings, yatta yatta yatta. thats just for beginners
Old 05-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

itd just be cheaper to buy a complete (probably wrecked) sirII from japan and swap everything onto your car from that.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cost of building an SiR II? (I3iggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I3iggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">itd just be cheaper to buy a complete (probably wrecked) sirII from japan and swap everything onto your car from that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes but their is shipping and customs to worry about.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cost of building an SiR II? (I3iggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I3iggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">itd just be cheaper to buy a complete (probably wrecked) sirII from japan and swap everything onto your car from that.</TD></TR></TABLE>
How would it be cheaper to buy two cars?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: Cost of building an SiR II? (92b16vx)

4700 bux shipped to your nearest port

http://www.batfa.com/usedcar-civic95black.htm
Old 05-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Used 5th gen 3000 + 4700 for a VTi + 2000 more for the B16A / time to swap all the parts = so far beyond worth it.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cost of building an SiR II? (stormy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stormy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4700 bux shipped to your nearest port

http://www.batfa.com/usedcar-civic95black.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where did you find a price on that site? All I found was a shipping quote for $1200.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stormy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4700 bux shipped to your nearest port

http://www.batfa.com/usedcar-civic95black.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

It would never get through customs and it would be another 1,000 to get it to me.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Cost of building an SiR II? (JohnnyWash1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JohnnyWash1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where did you find a price on that site? All I found was a shipping quote for $1200.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it says 3800 FOB = freight on board right on that page

The shipping cost just went up 300 bux

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Corbic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It would never get through customs and it would be another 1,000 to get it to me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

before you post wack **** go back to the site and read the FAQ's

ex.

Question : I am from USA, what port I'll get the delivery of car ?
Answer : We have shipping arrangement for following ports in USA :
*Long Beach *Manzanillo *New Orleans *Miami *Savannah *Norfolk *Baltimore & *New York.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stormy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it says 3800 FOB = freight on board right on that page

The shipping cost just went up 300 bux

before you post wack **** go back to the site and read the FAQ's

ex.

Question : I am from USA, what port I'll get the delivery of car ?
Answer : We have shipping arrangement for following ports in USA :
*Long Beach *Manzanillo *New Orleans *Miami *Savannah *Norfolk *Baltimore & *New York. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, it will arrive in the US. Yes, it will not get through customs. You need the proper documentation to get a running car into this country.

Three ways to get it in.

A. Converted to US legal by a registered conversion company (ala motorex)
B. Show, need to prove there is a historical significant for the car.
C. Race, need to fill out all the proper forms and present documentation that your are a professional race team.

Anything else is basicly illegal.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:28 PM

somebody's been reading too much honda-tuning this month

the port of la has one of the hardest *** bunch of customs ****'s ever and yet 15 imported cars later and your giving me advice

I mean do you think that motorex converts it on the spot ?

And I never said you would keep the shell - just that the whole car can be had for 5k for everything you could want and still have a roller to make back some cash and all the parts you take from your car could be included
Old 05-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stormy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">somebody's been reading too much honda-tuning this month

the port of la has one of the hardest *** bunch of customs ****'s ever and yet 15 imported cars later and your giving me advice

I mean do you think that motorex converts it on the spot ?

And I never said you would keep the shell - just that the whole car can be had for 5k for everything you could want and still have a roller to make back some cash and all the parts you take from your car could be included</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's Honda-Tunning?

Any way, I read up on the crap from NHSA when I was considering buying a SiR already in the country. I emailed the Indiana BMV to see if I could registar one that was registared in Colorado. Bottom line was no.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

That is where I get my info, not some web-form. Also, just because you, or people you know, or some guy that knows this one guy that had a friend who had a registared whatever...

Doesn’t make it legal or entirely probable for a guy living in Indiana to do the same thing.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just buy a car thats hacked in half.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16Drag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Drag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just buy a car thats hacked in half.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea, a whole front clip would net you almost everything you need, almost, you could pick up rear disk here, LCAs for about $60 rear tails and seat conversion another $300-$600. If you want to do a "conversion" just do it piece by piece over time, it will hit less financially, and give you a hobby.

And Motorex has contracts, they don't just import them to a port and pick them up. They had to do a LOT of work and pay a LOT of money to get to be able to import certain cars, not random imports. Some people don't want a "gray" market vehicle, therefor whatever shady dealings that leave the EPA and DOT out of the loop are not for them, maybe they work for you and your friends, but not everyone.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92b16vx)

Yeah, motorex is Skylines only. They are also the only JDM car I know of that can be legally imported into this country; DOT has a list of all eligible cars. Also Motorex is dead.

Does anyone have images of what make the SiR and USDM different?
Old 05-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://images.google.com/image...earch
Old 05-03-2005, 05:02 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Wow, I'm really considering doing this. I found a DA (91) Integra for 3600 shipped I believe. That's cheaper then what I paid for my EJ1! I emailed the DOT asking questions about importing it and what not, I'm up in Seattle. I noticed that Seattle wasn't one of the ports that they had available.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The EPA has a list of approved cars, it's on the NHTSA website, linked above. If it's not on that list, you have to petition the EPA for approval, fee is $800 (was when I asked a few years ago) they require something like 75-120 pictures of varies components, and then spend two weeks smogging it, and converting it, all this at your expense, then it goes to DOT, where they convert it to US specs, I forget how long they said, all in all after researching it for my old CRX, it would have been about $6000 to get it legally converted and registered, plus the cost of the car.

Now things may have changed, but I talked to someone recently that had the same issues, and about the same story, so I doubt it has gotten better.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

cheap
Old 05-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (menkio)

Cheap what?
Old 05-03-2005, 12:36 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: (Corbic)

Okay, lets say you get a nice CX for cheap. All you reall need is: Your power mirror conversion. Not too expensive, but you probably don't want to use JDM mirrors because they are made to be viewed from the right side of the car (convex passenger lens). Next a motor swap, high flow cat (stock won't work), and an exhaust. Sir II shock/spring combo (Hmotorsonline.com), or aftermarket suspension. Integra front & rear swaybars w/ LCAs. You'll have to find an Si trunk lid. Any duckbill spoiler looks better than a stock SIR II spoiler (easier to get too) IMO. I opted for an aftermarket tach, but you could get the JDM Sir, or USDM Si-EX cluster if you want a stock tach. After that, you just need an OEM or Wings West front lip (CF for bling), 10.2" Civic EX front brakes, 7/8" master cylinder & rear disc conversion w/ 40/40 proportioning valve, and your done...

There isn't enough of a difference in the headlights & taillights to bother (IMO). Plus, like the mirrors, they are meant to drive on the left side of the road (you'll blind on-coming traffic). Bumpers are identicle. Fog lights aren't that cool looking IMO. Power windows & locks will be a hassle anyways (& it's more crap to break down later). The purple SIR interior doesn't look as good as black CX interior (blue cx interior is a no no IMO).

The other thing is that all that work is pretty easy, and fun (if you enjoy working on cars). Imagine how much you would learn from doing it all yourself too. You'll have people paying you to do it to their cars (or at least bugging you )...
Old 05-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94eg!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay, lets say you get a nice CX for cheap. All you reall need is: Your power mirror conversion. Not too expensive, but you probably don't want to use JDM mirrors because they are made to be viewed from the right side of the car (convex passenger lens). Next a motor swap, high flow cat (stock won't work), and an exhaust. Sir II shock/spring combo (Hmotorsonline.com), or aftermarket suspension. Integra front & rear swaybars w/ LCAs. You'll have to find an Si trunk lid. Any duckbill spoiler looks better than a stock SIR II spoiler (easier to get too) IMO. I opted for an aftermarket tach, but you could get the JDM Sir, or USDM Si-EX cluster if you want a stock tach. After that, you just need an OEM or Wings West front lip (CF for bling), 10.2" Civic EX front brakes, 7/8" master cylinder & rear disc conversion w/ 40/40 proportioning valve, and your done...

There isn't enough of a difference in the headlights & taillights to bother (IMO). Plus, like the mirrors, they are meant to drive on the left side of the road (you'll blind on-coming traffic). Bumpers are identicle. Fog lights aren't that cool looking IMO. Power windows & locks will be a hassle anyways (& it's more crap to break down later). The purple SIR interior doesn't look as good as black CX interior (blue cx interior is a no no IMO).

The other thing is that all that work is pretty easy, and fun (if you enjoy working on cars). Imagine how much you would learn from doing it all yourself too. You'll have people paying you to do it to their cars (or at least bugging you )...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Stock cat would work, headlights can be adjusted (along without having the nipples, which is cleaner), the cluster is completely different asteticly, the seats are way more comfortable, and bucketed, also the rear compartment I personally think would be very useful, foglights are useful if needed. But it all comes down to opinion.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:07 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

The headlights can be adjusted, but the beam patern of JDM lights is still meant to light up signs on the left side of the road. This means that you will be casting almost no light onto signs on the right side of the road (pedestrians too)...

Not a major deal, but still worth considering...
Old 07-27-2005, 01:39 PM

Here is a link to the forum of Rear Interior JDM Conversions for the Honda Civic Hatchbacks of Canada and USA.
Quadrophonic speakers made by Gathers and Honda Access of Japan for the rear passengers.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1300095

Quick Reply: Cost of building an SiR II?