Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me

OK.....searched a bunch on this subject and ive got a few diff opinions/answers

1.Mount on top radiator hose (this doesnt make sense to me because the water comin out the top rad hose should be alot cooler then the water out the thermo...so which one would be the temp you want to know)

2. use stock sender (the only thing is the stock sender and aftermarket senders might require diff voltage? or no....as this would make the gauge read incorrectly)

3.mount on bottom hose....( i just dont think this is right as there were the least offering this option)

Soooooo.i would realy love it if someone could clear this up for me TIA
Old 08-20-2003, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (Eyewitness)

ttt
Old 08-20-2003, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (Eyewitness)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eyewitness &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK.....searched a bunch on this subject and ive got a few diff opinions/answers

1.Mount on top radiator hose (this doesnt make sense to me because the water comin out the top rad hose should be alot cooler then the water out the thermo...so which one would be the temp you want to know)

2. use stock sender (the only thing is the stock sender and aftermarket senders might require diff voltage? or no....as this would make the gauge read incorrectly)

3.mount on bottom hose....( i just dont think this is right as there were the least offering this option)

Soooooo.i would realy love it if someone could clear this up for me TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

Top rad hose. The coolent wont cool that much the thermostat to the top of the rad. Maybe a 1/4 deg. If that.
Old 08-20-2003, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone have a definite answer for this? I have a new water temp gauge I want to install, but I want to do it correctly....
Old 08-20-2003, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

Bump...Id like to know also
Old 08-20-2003, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (Ricey McRicerton)

Top hose near where the factory temp sensor is.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (quik1)

OK it seems as if the top hose is the best bet and seems to be working for poeple, closer to the block than the radiator...the only other thing that seems to work is using an adapter to mount the aftermarket sensor where the stock on is...i believe u need an adapter because the threads on autometer senders are more coarse than the OEM ones....dunno how hard the adapter is to locate or fabricate though
Old 08-21-2003, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just drill and tap a new hole next to it and vola done.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (quik1)

here's were i just installed mine..

please excuse the black gunk on it...i was pissed off that after installing and uninstalling it 3 times it was still leaking a little coolant...so i took initiative and drenched it with gasket sealant...

Old 08-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (degooser)

where did you buy that T?
Old 08-25-2003, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (90civichbsi)

http://www.autodynamic.com sells them i believe
Old 08-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (degooser)

i cant see the other guys 3 pics but let me ask this, is the gauge electrical or mechanical? because if its electrical you cannot stick it in a hose for a reading, the sending unit needs to be grounded. thats why the best idea is to drill and tap a hole just for the sending unit.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (akumaracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akumaracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i cant see the other guys 3 pics but let me ask this, is the gauge electrical or mechanical? because if its electrical you cannot stick it in a hose for a reading, the sending unit needs to be grounded. thats why the best idea is to drill and tap a hole just for the sending unit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, its electrical, what about if i drill and tap it into the waterneck of the upper raditator hose will that work? should still be grounded
Old 08-26-2003, 05:21 AM

pull out your stock sender and put it there,the stock sender is in the center of the head and is only about 6 inchs from both radiator hoses,you can almost see all the way accress with both hoses off,i just installed one of these this past weekend,right in the stock location and it works great.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i drilled and tapped into my upper front radiator hose fitting to the block. pull the hose off as well as the fitting attached to the block. drill and tap the metal fitting and insert temp sensor. this is the coolant coming out of the block so it offers the most accurate reading as far as water temp goes.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (1dumbassscreenname)

im sure honda put the stock sender in the most accurate place,its right inside the head,where its critical.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (civictypenos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akumaracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i cant see the other guys 3 pics but let me ask this, is the gauge electrical or mechanical? because if its electrical you cannot stick it in a hose for a reading, the sending unit needs to be grounded. thats why the best idea is to drill and tap a hole just for the sending unit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I used a hose clamp to ground the unit, Heres where I mounted mine.

Old 08-26-2003, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (90civichbsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90civichbsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where did you buy that T?</TD></TR></TABLE>

HOME DEPOT
Old 08-26-2003, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (90blackcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I used a hose clamp to ground the unit, Heres where I mounted mine.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

how accurate is the gauge there? i drilled and tapped near the oem sensor and its pretty accurate, i had a radiator shop take a temp reading for me.
thanks for backing me up on telling people that the sender needs to be grounded, alot of people think you can just stick it in a hose.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (akumaracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akumaracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
how accurate is the gauge there? i drilled and tapped near the oem sensor and its pretty accurate, i had a radiator shop take a temp reading for me.
thanks for backing me up on telling people that the sender needs to be grounded, alot of people think you can just stick it in a hose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your welcome , It defiantly needs to be grounded, and grounding a square fitting is pretty hard. The solder I was using would not stick to it so I came up with the hose clamp idea, which works very well. The gauge is really accurate, my car mostly runs 170 to 185 I think. I would have to look at the gauge and the numbers. I noticed though, when the stock gauge reaches its max point where it always reaches, which is like 1/4 of the way up. Well my auto meter tells me its about 175, but if the auto meter starts to go up, the stock gauge never moves at all.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (90blackcrx)

so yours is mounted right after the throttle body that coolant line on the left side of it?
Old 08-26-2003, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by degooser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so yours is mounted right after the throttle body that coolant line on the left side of it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the line coming from the eacv going to the throttle body.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (civictypenos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictypenos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pull out your stock sender and put it there,the stock sender is in the center of the head and is only about 6 inchs from both radiator hoses,you can almost see all the way accress with both hoses off,i just installed one of these this past weekend,right in the stock location and it works great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what my father has told me to do. Said it will be a lot easier to remove the stock sensor and add the Autometer sensor. He said I can do this for the water temp and there is also a spot on the motor to tap in the oil press. sensor. By doing this the water temp. gauge on the gauge cluster will not function, but you get an exact reading with the autometer gauge.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me (Hybrid93Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is what my father has told me to do. Said it will be a lot easier to remove the stock sensor and add the Autometer sensor. He said I can do this for the water temp and there is also a spot on the motor to tap in the oil press. sensor. By doing this the water temp. gauge on the gauge cluster will not function, but you get an exact reading with the autometer gauge.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is correct....the only reaons these poeple try to put it in with a t fitting in the hoses is b/c they try to keep there stock gauge....i dont see any reason to have one so why not use the stock location...its the easiest and its accurate.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:33 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

bleeder screw...........

it see the same water path as the stock sender

Quick Reply: Correct location to install Autometer water temp gauge...search confused me