Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Correct headlight housings for HIDS

Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct headlight housings for HIDS

hello, im currently getting my civic in proper running condition, cosmetic condition that is, and ive been having a pretty major problem. when using my headlighs that are currently stock, they dim when im on the gas, and are at there normal brightness when im coasting or off of the gas. I thought that an easy fix to this problem would be to just buy some hids. After doing alot of research, i found that most headlights are not designed correctly to aim the hids lights in the correct way. So i was wondering if anyone knows of a good hid headlight housing manf. I was also wondering if anyone has had a dimming problem, and how they went about fixing it, becasue im coming up fruitless on my searches for this problem. Do you think i should just upgrade to new housings and lights, or is the headlight problem im having not going to be fixed by this? thanks for your help
Old 02-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Correct headlight housings for HIDS

There are none you have to do a retrofit. All of the projectors on ebay are junk with acception to the TYC housings which are ment for halogen lights. The best way to do it is to get some Bixenon Projectors from an Audi or another luxury car and put them in your own housings . they will have the proper light output and cutoff lines that are commonly wanted in an HID
Old 02-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey thanks for the info... So are you saying that basically all hid kits ( just bulbs/ ballasts) even the ones on this site are junk, and i should take the balassts and lights out of a german pos?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i heard stock honda housings will not disperse the light correctly, even if i buy a kit... now im confused
Old 02-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have heard correctly, the stock Civic headlight were designed for halogen lighing. If you put HID's in the factory headlights the light will disperse all over the road and cause major glare for oncoming traffic. The correct way to put HID's into the civic headlight housings is to do what 97ej6dx said and retrofit (that means separate the OEM housings, cut a hole in the back of them, mount the projector in them, make them look fancy by adding some cool shrouds, and re-sealing everything back up) with OEM projectors and D2S bulbs. Some examples of good bi-xenon (because that is what you will need for a low and high beam function) are Acura TL projectors, Infinity FX series projectors, or FX-R projectors from the retrofit source.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The sell these also on http://store.theretrofitsource.com/index.php
Ive even seen a kid retrofit his sentra lights and he made him self a little Vacuform box then got some Lexan or some sort of Acrillic plastic heat it up in the oven then stick it over the vacuform and it sucks the plastic over the shape of the projector and the headlight reflector housing that way when its cool you can cut around the projector and headlight housing and paint it black or silver or whatever color to have a nice smooth bezel. Thats what im planning to do when i get the HID retrofits.. (someday)

Here is the How to youtube videos in the 3rd one you can see him do the Vacuform thing and i thought that was awesome!
Originally Posted by EvoMR
Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx

Here is the How to youtube videos in the 3rd one you can see him do the Vacuform thing and i thought that was awesome!

sick. i might have to try this. was thinking about fiberglassing but this looks way better.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by alphalanos
sick. i might have to try this. was thinking about fiberglassing but this looks way better.
Yeah Fiberglass pry would take the heat a bit better but this you can get really smooth shapes and if you put a big enough plastic peice in the oven and your Vacuform was good sized you could put both headlights in there at the same time and get them Exactly the same the HID projectors tend to dissapate heat well so im sure heat isnt a problem tho.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

97twodoor and 97ej6dx hit the nail on the head. To do it correctly you need to do a retrofit. Take it from a guy(me)that had a PNP HID and took it back out. At the time I bought my PNP kit I didn't know any better, I didn't know anything about a retrofit and thought HIDs were simply HIDs. I should have "researched" before buying. It sucked, the light goes all over the place except where you need it and blinds oncoming drivers.

I took the kit back off and put my Halogens back in a good while ago, the PNP kit is in a box. I am currently looking into the FX-R Stage 3 Bi-Xenon kit from TRS(The Retrofit Source).

Do yourself a favor and stay with Halogens until you have the cash to do a retrofit and do it the right way, you will love the outcome and have much "friendlier" encounters with oncoming drivers.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
97twodoor and 97ej6dx hit the nail on the head. To do it correctly you need to do a retrofit. Take it from a guy(me)that had a PNP HID and took it back out. At the time I bought my PNP kit I didn't know any better, I didn't know anything about a retrofit and thought HIDs were simply HIDs. I should have "researched" before buying. It sucked, the light goes all over the place except where you need it and blinds oncoming drivers.

I took the kit back off and put my Halogens back in a good while ago, the PNP kit is in a box. I am currently looking into the FX-R Stage 3 Bi-Xenon kit from TRS(The Retrofit Source).

Do yourself a favor and stay with Halogens until you have the cash to do a retrofit and do it the right way, you will love the outcome and have much "friendlier" encounters with oncoming drivers.
BTW i posted that same set of vids in your Posts in lighting section the dude has some pretty sweet ideas and they look pretty easy to do !
Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm this actually looks relativley easy, for how complex it is, i may just have to give it a shot. thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can promise that you wo'nt be disappointed.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
BTW i posted that same set of vids in your Posts in lighting section the dude has some pretty sweet ideas and they look pretty easy to do !

Yeah I saw that, very much appreciated.