Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

the cops strike again *please read*

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the cops strike again *please read*

the other night i was leaving a friends house and i was behind my other friend at the stoplight taking a left to go home. he sped off down the highway very fast, he almost hit 70 in a 45 zone. his radar detector never went off. now me behind him took the corner and didnt accelerate very fast maybe half way on the throttle but my car is loud and it may have sounded like i was going fast. now my friend took a right turn at the stoplight and i was at the red light and see a cop behind me. so it turns green and i drive about a half a mile and about to turn onto my street and the cop flips his lights on. he said i was street racing. i have a red car, it has gauges and has numbers cause i went to the track not to long ago and it has rims, looks a lil racey and its loud. and the cop said i was racing and he gave me a notice to appear in court criminal traffic ciolation. now honestly i was not racing my friend at all, he has a high 12 second evolution and my car couldnt touch it even if i really tried. and he was going so fast the other cop couldnt get him. so from what i hear i can get my license suspended for one year. up to $1000 in court fines and 30 days in jail. i told the cop i was not street racing at all and his car is 10 times faster than mine and we didnt even line up side by side or anything, our cars never even lined up side by side. and i dont even think the cop saw it he just heard us. i never even exceeded 50 mph.

im not sure if anyone is familiar with the street racing laws in florida but i dont feel this was street racing at all, and im worried im going to have a record or crazy court fees. i called a lawyer and cant afford any. they all want around $1500-2000 for misdemeanor cases. im probably going to get a public defender, but i would like anyone to let me know if this has happenned to them and what the punishments u guys received. should i plead not guilty or guilty and tell him the story. i would appreciate any help possible.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Trial User

Default Re: the cops strike again *please read* (turbosnatch)

Man this has nothing to do with Tech or any information having to do with helping

out. ******* read the title and was turned off by your whole post. At least read

around or search and figure out this belongs in G&D!
Old 03-28-2004, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: the cops strike again *please read* (Blk_Guy_N_S3DAN)

well since im a trial user im not allowed to post in the general discussion and in this same forum topics there is a problem with cops too so i figured a mod would either move it or it would be okay because there is already a thread with problems with cops. thanks for trying to help tho blkguy
Old 03-28-2004, 08:02 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosnatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well since im a trial user im not allowed to post in the general discussion and in this same forum topics there is a problem with cops too so i figured a mod would either move it or it would be okay because there is already a thread with problems with cops. thanks for trying to help tho blkguy </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol. Anyways your a Honda Tech Member now, so go post in there. To your story

grow some ***** and fight it. Even bring you friend and blah blah. Doesnt hurt to

make a great defense. Also bring it to the attention of the judge that the cop

didn't see **** just heard, with clocking you (frnd) on the radar, that's all up to you

to figure out.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:43 PM

Street racing can be defined as a "speed competition". You don't have to be side by side.I know here i W.A just pacing another vehicle can constitute a race, speed doesn't have to the deciding factor (usually is though). Any contest between two vehicles traveling in the same direction regardless of speed. I know that one unfortunately. .
talk around to some attorney's usually you can get a better price once you talk with them. If it went as you say it did, it sounds like you can get off with no traffic citation. It depends on how much it's worth to you.
I personally paid about $800 to get mine dropped to a neg 2, from wreckless driving. It sounds kinda high, but insurance wise it saved my ***. Wreckless driving conviction automatically bumps you to sr13 insurance (costs a lot more). Neg two is just a moving violation equal to doing 20mph over the limit.
If I paid a little more I could have fought it more, but the cost wasn't worth the risk. Unfortunately the person that I was accused of racing was also a buddy of mine. He was still i the process of fighting a prior "speed contest" ticket where the car pursuing was an unmarked cop .....He had court the in the morning for his first offense,
That same day we had court (to determine if it would go to a hearing or not) for out infraction. Being that it was the same judge that gave him 13 days in jail and fined him $490 (he was making an example out of him) I didn't feel like taking my chances. So I took a ple-bargain for the neg 2 and went on my marry way,
It's definitely worth fighting IMO. At least look into dismissal by default.