Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cooling issue help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Cooling issue help!

So it's my eg. It will run fine and won't over heat but when I take a drive in the free way it stays fine then I get off and starts to go up then down. I got home opened the hood and saw that the res was over full with coolant. I let it cool off then the coolant was empty. I've already bled the system in case of air bubles. Can anyone give me some help as to what the problem could be? If you need more info let me know. The engine is a d16z6
Old 12-20-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Cooling issue help!

thermostat....replace it
Old 12-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
thermostat....replace it
Ok I'll get on that. But also I forgot to state that there is green in the oil I opened the cap nothing milky but just green idk maybe it could be oil but idk any other suggestions?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Green in the oil? You mean oil film in the coolant over flow tank, or coolant in your crankcase - pulling the oil dipstick? Can you take a picture?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pityocamptes
Green in the oil? You mean oil film in the coolant over flow tank, or coolant in your crankcase - pulling the oil dipstick? Can you take a picture?
Yeah I'll take a pic no not on the dip stick just when I look through the valve cover the res is empty but i didn't see anything in there.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine valve cover or coolant overflow tank? I think you mean the coolant over flow tank? Sounds like you saw a little black stuff floating on the antifreeze in the over flow tank, correct? If so, completely normal...
Old 12-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine valve cover or coolant overflow tank? I think you mean the coolant over flow tank? Sounds like you saw a little black stuff floating on the antifreeze in the over flow tank, correct? If so, completely normal...
No valve cover the overflow is empty. A buddy told me that the coolant or green looking oil ain't that bad cuz if it was I would see white and milky oil in there. He also suggested thermostat and radiator cap.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorgeb94
No valve cover the overflow is empty. A buddy told me that the coolant or green looking oil ain't that bad cuz if it was I would see white and milky oil in there. He also suggested thermostat and radiator cap.
ummmmm, if you see green inside the valve cover ( the cover that has the spark plugs wires going in it and a big black round screw lid for adding oil ) then that's pretty bad.

coolant runs through the block under the head and under the head gasket.

only oil should be sitting on top of the head with the valve train.

Or are you talking about the radiator with the silver twist cap that says do not remove when hot?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
ummmmm, if you see green inside the valve cover ( the cover that has the spark plugs wires going in it and a big black round screw lid for adding oil ) then that's pretty bad.

coolant runs through the block under the head and under the head gasket.

only oil should be sitting on top of the head with the valve train.
So the head gasket bad? Anyway to really check this out?
Old 12-20-2013, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, could you post a picture of what you are talking about?
Old 12-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, could you post a picture of what you are talking about?
Not sure how to on mobile. Anyways I replaced thermostat and radiator cap bled the system and still over heating. At first I drove it about 15 miles then another 15 and on the way back about 30min of driving it started going up. When I got home I noticed the res again full with coolant. The fan did kick in every now and then as normal I guess and was on the whole time it was above the middle. Any other things it could be? I doubt it's the head gasket I don't see white smoke coming out of crank case or tail pipe.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Start the car and remove the rad cap, let it warm up and look for bubbles in your coolant... if it bubbles or overflows then you know its your hg.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by instrument
Start the car and remove the rad cap, let it warm up and look for bubbles in your coolant... if it bubbles or overflows then you know its your hg.
If it is the hg is it hard to replace? I can do it if anyone has a link to a how to. But I'm going to work tmrw and maybe one of the guys can do a coolant pressure test for me. I'll I'm sure that will tell.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump any other ideas?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Maybe your rad is partially to mostly clogged preventing the proper flow of water?

Head gaskets done properly take some time, after you clean the block with a 120 grit roloc disk (white) you should take the head to a machine shop to 1, check for levelness (not warped) and 2, have it milled to an ultra smooth surface, then you can switch to the Multi Layer Steal (MLS) head gasket (D16Z6/D16Y8) and get way more life out of the gasket.

It also should get new head bolts or upgrade to ARP head studs. OEM is stretch bolts and technically shouldn't be reused, especially going to the higher torques of the MLS gasket.

If you aren't seeing it consume coolant like no tomorrow, not seeing milky oil, or very muddy looking coolant and don't seem to have a major loss in power, I highly doubt it's your head gasket.