Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

coolant/thermostat/radiator reservoir overflew & over heating

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant/thermostat/radiator reservoir overflew & over heating

has an idle issue so i cleaned the iacv and bled it but idle issue is still there. A week later, the coolant reservoir overflew, making a big mess so i re-bled the coolant, thinking there was still air. All this time i did not add additional coolant.
The next day same problem but the temp gauge hit max and radiator fan never came on, so i decided to let it sit a few days until i had time to work on it. Today i jumped the fan, it works! Opened bleeder valve, barely any coolant came out and i tried to refill the coolant from the radiator but it would just overflow, also no stream of coolant coming from the bleeder valve.
I think it needs a new thermostat or maybe thermo switch. What do you guys think? Once i get the time, i plan to replace the thermostat.

Last edited by born2lose; 02-10-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coolant/thermostat/radiator reservoir overflew & over heating

39 views with zero opinion? This is my daily and I need to fix it soon. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am confused you said you tried to fill it but goes into the overfill?

I am wondering if the radiator is shot, any visible leaks esp on the top of the rad?

If the thermostat is shot then the fan is worthless since it overheat immediately.

Try the thermostat route, since you know the fan is working, and top it off.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think that your thermostat is shot and maybe your fan switch is bad. Try and jump the plug for the fan switch and once that is done turn the car on and the fan should turn on and stay on. I would try that first and then if that doesnt work move to the radiator and or waterpump.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He did jump the fan, so that is working, go the easy cheap route do the thermostat first.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It seems like the engine is rejecting the coolant, I think the theromstat is open at all times.
I cant add more coolant into the radiator, its just overflows and when car warms up, it just keep rejecting it and floods the reservoir.
Originally Posted by motegicivic
I am confused you said you tried to fill it but goes into the overfill?

I am wondering if the radiator is shot, any visible leaks esp on the top of the rad?

If the thermostat is shot then the fan is worthless since it overheat immediately.

Try the thermostat route, since you know the fan is working, and top it off.
Because it had two big spills coming out of the coolant reservoir cap, not from the radiator cap, I decided to add more because I wanted make sure it had enough but it seems like its not taking it.
Radiator looks fine, no leaks.
Originally Posted by agentorange11
I think that your thermostat is shot and maybe your fan switch is bad. Try and jump the plug for the fan switch and once that is done turn the car on and the fan should turn on and stay on. I would try that first and then if that doesnt work move to the radiator and or waterpump.
Fan is good, I jumped it. I didnt check any fuses or relays because of the coolant issue. Fan only turns on when the thermostat hits a certain temp, 180f, I think. I believe the thermostat sends a signal to the fan if it gets too hot and tells it to turn on. But since the thermostat is bad, it didnt do what it was suppose to do.

He did jump the fan, so that is working, go the easy cheap route do the thermostat first.
I bought a stant, it doesnt look right. Im returning it for oem. Will probably replace it tomorrow
Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Def get an oem one. Try it and report back as you said it might be stuck closed, or for the hell of it try without a thermostat in and see if it still spits out coolant.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I think the head gasket is blown, but first try replacing the thermostat, radiator cap, and radiator and then bleed the system.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The massive coolant overflew and over heating all happened during the week when we had 2 days of close to 100f heat.
Def get an oem one. Try it and report back as you said it might be stuck closed, or for the hell of it try without a thermostat in and see if it still spits out coolant.
Oem thermostat replaced, ran fine and coolant bled well. Could not get the car warm enough and fan never came on.
Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
I think the head gasket is blown, but first try replacing the thermostat, radiator cap, and radiator and then bleed the system.
I hope not. I will be monitoring the gauge, coolant and fan. I am planing on replacing the thermo switch next if anything for the fan to be operating when it should be.

Does anybody know how to test a thermo switch? Honda manual says nothing about testing it.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by born2lose

Does anybody know how to test a thermo switch? Honda manual says nothing about testing it.
Short the 2P fan switch connector on the thermostat housing to make the fan run continuously when the key is in ON(II). If overheating continues, consider the radiator and head gasket. Also make absolutely sure that you have properly bled the system.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by born2lose
The massive coolant overflew and over heating all happened during the week when we had 2 days of close to 100f heat.

Oem thermostat replaced, ran fine and coolant bled well. Could not get the car warm enough and fan never came on.

I hope not. I will be monitoring the gauge, coolant and fan. I am planing on replacing the thermo switch next if anything for the fan to be operating when it should be.

Could of been a bad thermostat, watch it and report back, I would not worry about the fan switch, since you jumped it and it was working.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Short the 2P fan switch connector on the thermostat housing to make the fan run continuously when the key is in ON(II). If overheating continues, consider the radiator and head gasket. Also make absolutely sure that you have properly bled the system.
Disconnected the plug from the thermoswitch, shorted the connector plug and the fan turned on when i turned on the ignition to ii. I bled it while the engine was warm and saw a stream. After about a month, coolant level seems fine so far. After all of this, i noticed my idle problem is gone. What are some signs of a bad head gasket?
Could of been a bad thermostat, watch it and report back, I would not worry about the fan switch, since you jumped it and it was working.
I might just replace it since it is not too hard and i want the fan to operate when it should. I also can not think of anything else that may prevent the fan from turning on.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do a pressure test check for leaks... possible bad fan switch if ur fan dont come on... get a hydrocarbon tester and check for possble blown head gasket
Old 08-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last blown headgasket blew coolant out the overflow and made the reservoir full of coolant to the very top. I'm guessing your headgasket is blown and that exhaust gas is overpressurizing your cooling system and forcing the coolant out the only way it can go (into the overflow reservoir).

Remove the radiator cap when the car is cold, fill with coolant if necessary and let it warm up to operating temp (fans should come on - if they don't see below). Watching out for leaping hot coolant, carefully look in the radiator filler neck and see if constant bubbles appear (indicating a likely blown headgasket). Also check for good coolant flow driven by the waterpump. If you have good flow that means there are no blockages and your pump and thermostat are ok.

If you really want to be sure get a block tester ($50 at NAPA) and test for exhaust gasses in your radiator.

Make sure when you install a thermostat the jiggle valve sits freely in the recess in the gasket and that you install the thermostat with the jiggle valve pointing up.

If the fans are not coming on jump the fan thermoswitch connector (thermostat housing) with a paperclip with the ignition swtch on to verfiy the fan relay and motor are ok. If the fan spins your fan relay, wiring, fuses and motor are ok. You may still have to replace the thermoswitch if the fans don't come on when the car gets hot.

If the fan, thermostat, pump and headgasket are ok then you may have a blocked radiator, bad radiator cap, dragging brakes, improper ignition timing or fuel mixture.