Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

coolant question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant question

would anything happen if the bottle said dont add water and i added some water? i used some brand called "peak"
Old 09-22-2004, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: coolant question (99bb6)

Peak extended life coolant? If so, that's a replacement for dexcool. Drain it and fill with a 50/50 mix of the green stuff (eythlene glycol).
Old 09-22-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Re: coolant question (t0p_sh0tta)

i dont remember which peak, but it wont mess anything up if i have water and coolant right? even though it saids dont add water?
Old 09-23-2004, 06:56 AM

??
Old 09-23-2004, 07:52 AM
Louie_EM1

When I purchase coolant through honda it says in Big Bold Letters <FONT SIZE="3">"DON'T ADD WATER"</FONT>
What do I do? I go to a gocery store, buy a gallon of diluted H2O for 99 cents and mix a little with it in a seperate container, shake it up and continue my coolant procedure.

The reason why it says not to add water is because it's coolant, it's been pre-mixed, it ain't anti-freeze which is strictly for keeping the water liquid under freezing temps, now I do know that anti-freeze does carry essential things to help prolong life of your car, especially Honda coolant in Honda motors (duhh).

But why add water then?
Well it's simple govener...
H2O has cooling abilty.

Always use diluted H2O, never put tap water in, it's either too damn soft, or too damn hard and you don't want that.
Never dilute the Coolant that much for regular use.
There are people who use water wetter basically 99% H2O, for racing purposes.

I personally like the water down coolant, My VTECKH enages on highway also, and water temp gauge used to sit right around 1/4 hot.
I just wanna remind people that you want your engine to be running at optimal temperate, yes it include your coolant, and yes thinking colder doesn't always mean better.

Last but not least, make sure if you're under 40degree temps such as in the winter which is coming up, put in straight coolant, don't add additional water.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99bb6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i dont remember which peak, but it wont mess anything up if i have water and coolant right? even though it saids dont add water?</TD></TR></TABLE>

uhh, you should be fine.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:50 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: coolant question (Louie_EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Louie_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Last but not least, make sure if you're under 40degree temps such as in the winter which is coming up, put in straight coolant, don't add additional water.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure exactly what you meant by this so I'll clarify for everyone. NEVER ever run staraight coolant in an engine without water added to it unless you want to destroy your engine. A 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water is perfect for cold climates without worry. If you drive in an area like Southern Cali, you could run 75% water and 25% coolant to get maximum cooling but still have the protection from corrosion internally. Distilled water is the only water that should be added to your coolant...not tap water or spring water because they all have things in them that will harm the cooling system over time. best place to get distilled water is out of the dehumidifier most people run in their basements to keep the dampness down.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: coolant question (00Red_SiR)

awsome thanks everyone
Old 09-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Louie_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Last but not least, make sure if you're under 40degree temps such as in the winter which is coming up, put in straight coolant, don't add additional water.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't listen to this comment b/c of you have just straight coolant in your car for winter means that the coolant is going to have a freezing point that is a little higher than water and if what he said was true, you might as well save your money and put water in there instead of coolant.

Always add diluted water to 100% coolant, get you a gauge to tell you the freezing point of the coolant that is in your car, DO NOT use the orange stuff (dex-cool), don't mix the green and orange stuff. Always add your pre-diluted combo.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:21 PM

Default Re: coolant question (DSeriesBKilla)

Ummmmm; coolant IS when you add water to antifreeze.
Water + antifreeze = coolant (diluted or pre-mixed to about 50/50)

So why wouldn't you put in coolant in the winter?
Or do you not know the difference between antifreeze and coolant?
Old 09-23-2004, 08:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Louie_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reason why it says not to add water is because it's coolant, it's been pre-mixed, it ain't anti-freeze which is strictly for keeping the water liquid under freezing temps, now I do know that anti-freeze does carry essential things to help prolong life of your car, especially Honda coolant in Honda motors (duhh).</TD></TR></TABLE>

The reason the bottle says not to add water is because it is already premixed with demineralized or, as the new Honda bottle says, de-ionized water. The companies don't want you mixing it with tap water, which will help corrosion, when you don't need to.

Antifreeze and coolant are the same thing. Antifreeze is more of a generic term since it could also be called antiboil. Pure coolant has a lower freezing point and higher boiling point than regular water. You need to add the water though because it's not as effective at heat transfer. You also need the coolant for it's lubricating properties.

Just try to keep a 50/50 mix and you should be okay. Unless you use the car for racing, then run distilled water with a heat transfer fluid, like WaterWetter.