Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

coolant question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant question!!!

Does anyone know where the coolant air bleed bolt is on a D16 Y7?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: coolant question!!! (HCivicSi23)

Bump. for answers.

Both haynes and chiltons makes specific refrences to it, so it has to exist. Does anyone know where?
Old 07-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the 96-00 D-series, the Coolant Drain Bolt is located to the left of the Oil Filter (about 10 o'clock). Torqued to 58'-lbs... Helm reccommends replacing the Washer(s)

I think (~90%) it's #s 14 and 24...
http://slhondaparts.com/browse...=true

You might be able to "get away" with just undoing your Radiator Cap. The Coolant tends to siphon out once it gets going, but my concept of how things work regarding the Cooling System are novice, at best. I didn't "have to" loosen this bolt when I drained (not flushed) my Coolant...

Hope that helped... Anyone else?
JasonGhostz
Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: coolant question!!! (JasonGhostz)

Alright thanks, that helps out alot actually. I know it was mentiond in a few manuals, but it never said where. I am not D series expert and I hate the downdraft IM. I was replacing my friends IM gasket and after re assembly I had a very rough idle.

I looked at alot of things and I am now just prepaird to take the IM back off, replace the gasket yet again, and then the T stat. The car has poor coolant circulation past the Tstat and after about a few minutes of ruff idleing, I get a loud "whining" type sound from the T stat area.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No Prob. I'm just not 100% sure, since I haven't actually done it, nor can I *absolutely* point it out in the parts diagrams. The Helm Manual, however, shows it in the position I described.

GL with the rest, I won't be able to help much other than relaying what I can read in the Helm Manual. If you plan on keeping your car, I highly reccommend buying one. It pays for itself (I have the Haynes Manual too).

Let us know how things turn out!
JasonGhostz
Old 07-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Well the cars not mine. It's a friends LX.

I use the 96 - 00 Honda civic service manual. It mentions using the bleed bolt, but doesnt point it out. Haynes and chiltons also mention it, but fail to point out as if to where it is as well. After using haynes and those types of manuals, I have noticed they tend to lead you in the wrong direction more times then not.

So I use the service manual or Alldata.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well the cars not mine. It's a friends LX. </TD></TR></TABLE>PHEW! Easier to work on problems when its not a problem with YOUR car!! ... ESPECIALLY if it's your ONLY CAR

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use the 96 - 00 Honda civic service manual. It mentions using the bleed bolt, but doesnt point it out.</TD></TR></TABLE> Try the Cooling section... 10-7, man!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After using haynes and those types of manuals, I have noticed they tend to lead you in the wrong direction more times then not.
So I use the service manual or Alldata. </TD></TR></TABLE> I don't know where I'd be without my Helm Manual... I'd probably have eleventy billion posts...

Helm &gt;&gt;&gt; Haynes
JasonGhostz
Old 07-06-2007, 09:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JasonGhostz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">PHEW! Easier to work on problems when its not a problem with YOUR car!! ... ESPECIALLY if it's your ONLY CAR </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats right! Section 10 - 7? Ill look it up now. The books so thick, it's like an adventure everytime I open it.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:17 PM

Well, the bolt was exactly where you said it was. I wouldn't say it's purpose was to bleed the air out of the cooling system as much as it just drained the last of the coolant from the engine block. I did this and refilled the system, well sure enough that fixed the idle problem. I remeber when I took of my B16 intake manifold, the coolant drain bolt is right in front of the engine block.

Thanks for the help!