Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Coolant problem. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/coolant-problem-2772158/)

BlackShingo 05-05-2010 10:06 PM

Coolant problem.

Ok, I have a new water pump, new thermostat, new radiator/w cap. When I drive, the car's temperature on the gauge is always on cold and slowly rises up to the low range after a ride on the highway. However, the fan doesn't come on, and the coolant is low. The car, after a highway drive, will also start to run rough and sputter white smoke. Coolant overflow tank is usually max or slightly above max level. Ia m thinking I have a bad head gasket, but when I looked under the cap I didn't see literally chocolate milk. I just saw dark brown oil as normal. I am trying to figure out if I have a bad head gasket or a cracked head. Help!

Some new developments.

Tested Radiator Fan and it works when I jump it.

When I turn on the AC, Radiator fan doesn't come on.

3starz 05-05-2010 10:31 PM

Re: Coolant problem.

I like what you say. it could be your head gasket if its burning out white smoke.

SlaminSohCivic 05-05-2010 10:39 PM

100% Head Gasket Man i had same problem and the head studs were losse..and it would do same..when the white smoke comes out and starts to sputter..Means a ton of antifreeze goes into cylinder and burns

95_Civic_4dr 05-06-2010 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by BlackShingo (Post 42392715)
...Coolant overflow tank is usually max or slightly above max level. Ia m thinking I have a bad head gasket, but when I looked under the cap I didn't see literally chocolate milk. I just saw dark brown oil as normal. I am trying to figure out if I have a bad head gasket or a cracked head. Help!...

Head Gasket.
I had a similar problem recently, coolant overflow tank was always maxed or really high and white smoke - mostly at high rpm. Occasional over heating when stopped. Oil looked normal. Mine also had a rough/roaming idle and sometimes shook real bad on start up. Replaced the original head gasket (which actually didn't even look bad) with 200k miles on it and now she runs perfectly haha.

b20hatchek 05-06-2010 05:39 AM

ok dude im gonna help ya out, now crank the motor and let it run for a while, or drive it till its warm and then once its warm let it keep running and open the over flow but keep the little hose in the coolant and look for bubbles if their are alot of bubbles then bam youve gotta blown headgaskit

fly_high_gsr 05-06-2010 08:52 AM

Or it could be whopped head, make sure before you put on new headgasket send the head to machine shop to check it out if it need to be machined.

ejprimo 05-06-2010 08:54 AM

get your head resurfaced by a machine shop.

b20hatchek 05-06-2010 03:56 PM

chances are if its a motor that hasnt never been cracked open before its not gonna be the head, im 80% sure its the headgasket