Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coolant, low idle problem EG

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant, low idle problem EG

Here is the issue.

Recently when i start my car up, white smoke comes out, but since it is cold outside I can understand that. But when I start it up I have to press the gas to get it to idle right, then it does just fine. My car is eating coolant, because white smoke is coming out the back when I drive the car without letting it warm up. The gauge shows that it is getting hot, but when I check the coolant, there is plenty in there. I mean its not full, but its more than enough to keep the car cool.

I am not thining it is the headgasket because car runs really good, and the white smoke is not constant. I am thinking it is a vacuum leak somewhere because I had to change my idle screw a few months back to account for a low idle that would cause the car to shut off when I was sitting at a light.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I hear spraying throttle body cleaner to find the leak in the hose, but where do i spray it? Thanks in advance for the assistance provided.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coolant, low idle problem EG

i would say blown head gasket... i have 2 civic and experenced 3 blown head gaskets with same symtoms... if it a sohc it real ez to do head gasket... dohc it ez but u have to take cams out... but when u do replace head gasket... replace water pump, thermostat, head bolts and if timing belt hasn't been replace, replace that to...
Old 03-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95EG2
i would say blown head gasket... i have 2 civic and experenced 3 blown head gaskets with same symtoms... if it a sohc it real ez to do head gasket... dohc it ez but u have to take cams out... but when u do replace head gasket... replace water pump, thermostat, head bolts and if timing belt hasn't been replace, replace that to...
My car blows more heads than a neighborhood groupie. My car hates winter.

Anyway, yeah I hate doing head gaskets cause I never get the timing correct. Everything else like the pump thermo, and the timing are new. Well I guess it time to trick off again, and purchase me a adj cam gear, arp head bolts as well as the gasket itself. Does anyone have any suggestions? I got a Z6 and I have heard people use Y8 instead of Z6 gaskets for stronger durability. Any thoughts?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:

Started the car today after not driving it for two days. Started it up to move it in the garage yesterday. Took forever to start up, like it was missing something, (not enough air, spark etc). Smelled gas out the exhaust when it finally started.

Since then, nothing but smoke coming out the exhaust, (white). Car acts like it wants to overheat, but when I pop the radiator open, there is plenty of coolant in there. Top Hose is hot, bottom is warm. When I am idling the temperature goes down. Fan comes on when it needs to.

I can see any visible leaks in the vacuum hoses. Car still pulls exceptionally well. Need some more assistance, as I am truely (procrastinating after the first answer) not trying to pop the head off for another gasket.

Thanks.