Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coolant leak under the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak under the hood?

MY 2000 Civic leaks coolant quite excessively. I just don't know where, even though I know the spot. A small coolant well right on top of the right side radiator fan. I checked the hoses around, but didn't spot any tears or leaking points. The left side ac radiator fan has no coolant. The splash shield has coolant. I have to refill the reservoir after several times of short trips.
The cap is fairly new, and was checked out okay. The air box has signs of coolant splashed onto it. The direction is to the rear side - longer drips closer to the driver side.

I'm planning to go to pep boys to ask them.

What do you think this is? I will upload pictures if it's way better.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coolant leak under the hood?

pressure test the system. only then you will know where the leak is coming from.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:16 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Check all along the top of the radiator it's almost certainly has a hairline crack or it's leaking from the seal.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a crack in the radiator or pinhole in a hose that only squirts when the system develops enough heat/pressure. Hoses are cheap. So are radiators. Engines are expensive. Get this fixed ASAP.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:37 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let it run and watch for the leak while it's hot and running. A friend of mine had a similar issue that you could only see after the car was at operational temperature. It was a super small pin hole leak on a hose that only leaked when enough pressure was built up in the system.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shm91
MY 2000 Civic leaks coolant quite excessively. I just don't know where, even though I know the spot. A small coolant well right on top of the right side radiator fan. I checked the hoses around, but didn't spot any tears or leaking points. The left side ac radiator fan has no coolant. The splash shield has coolant. I have to refill the reservoir after several times of short trips.
The cap is fairly new, and was checked out okay. The air box has signs of coolant splashed onto it. The direction is to the rear side - longer drips closer to the driver side.

I'm planning to go to pep boys to ask them.

What do you think this is? I will upload pictures if it's way better.
Pressure test is the best way to diagnose. But on a 2000 vehicle I'd guess the OEM radiator has a crack, the plastic end tanks are weak.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

one more following QUESTION!

First, Thanks to you guys, through pressure test, found there's a crack on the top side of the radiator.
(I have the picture on my computer but it doesn't let me, other than a link) So, here's a similar one.

The crack's right under the radiator cap, where the silver aluminum part and the plastic part joins. The coolant sips through the gap. One more, right under the cap in the midway between the aluminum part and the cap, so, on the plastic part, there's one more crack.
I was wondering if there could be any long-lasting cure for this. I was going to order a new radiator, but wanted to make sure if I could save it.

Both the cracks are about two inches long. Both are on the inner side of the radiator.

Last edited by shm91; 09-23-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, there is no cure for it. Buy a new one. Do yourself a favor, and get one that's solid aluminum without plastic caps.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got it. During the pressure test, the gauge didn't go past 10, it dropped to zero in seconds - as you would know, the cap says it holds max 16 lb.

Would I be able to drive like this for a week (could be as fast as four days) - I think I 've been driving like this for more a bit than a week -, until I get the product from online and install it. I'm going to keep refilling the coolant.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:42 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long a you are VERY careful to keep your coolant full and topped off, you could probably get away with it. Remember, though, as soon as your temp needle starts moving past where it belongs, you're risking doing serious motor damage.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a Koyo Radiator and install the OEM fan on it.

When you get the Koyo and compare it side-by-side with the original, you will see the OEM radiator was obviously doing nothing and you were probably better off with a radiator delete (ie. lower and upper hose looped together). This would have been more effective than that so-called OEM radiator (which is rubbish).
Old 09-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shm91
one more following QUESTION!

First, Thanks to you guys, through pressure test, found there's a crack on the top side of the radiator.
(I have the picture on my computer but it doesn't let me, other than a link) So, here's a similar one.

The crack's right under the radiator cap, where the silver aluminum part and the plastic part joins. The coolant sips through the gap. One more, right under the cap in the midway between the aluminum part and the cap, so, on the plastic part, there's one more crack.
I was wondering if there could be any long-lasting cure for this. I was going to order a new radiator, but wanted to make sure if I could save it.

Both the cracks are about two inches long. Both are on the inner side of the radiator.
There's no permanent safe cure. There's no reason to save a few bucks by patching a part like the radiator versus destroying the engine because of an overheat.

An all aluminum radiator is definitely the best, but a legit aluminum radiator and not an eBay part.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Axatax
Get a Koyo Radiator and install the OEM fan on it.

When you get the Koyo and compare it side-by-side with the original, you will see the OEM radiator was obviously doing nothing and you were probably better off with a radiator delete (ie. lower and upper hose looped together). This would have been more effective than that so-called OEM radiator (which is rubbish).
Not sure if serious:/
Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure if serious:/
Not really -- but look @ this thing. First pic is OEM rad., second pic is Koyo. It's amazing the OEM radiator cooled anything at all.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i also am not sure if serious. Just because the aluminum one is bigger doesn't mean the factory one is crap.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The OEM rad in that pic also had the AT cooler (pre-swap) so the capacity is probably further diminished.

Nonsense radiator.