Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coolant Leak somewhere - Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak somewhere - Any Suggestions?

Here is some background info:
I have a 93 DX Bubble. Stock engine, and automatic tranny. I did a head gasket job this weekend. And boy is it more work then these forms say. But hey, I learned alot.

Problem:
When I pour in my coolant into my radiotor, it just leaks right near the tranny. Its a steady drip. I checked all the hoses near radiator (no leak there), check all the visible hoses by the thermostat (I also replaced it while doing the head gasket)(no leak in the hoses that connect to the theromostat). I double checked and there are no visible hoses that I can tell that I missed. I honestly think I forgot to plug in a small hose somewhere. But my coolant leaks without my even turning on my car.

Does anyone know where I should check for this possible unplugged/torn hose. Are there any hidden under the intake manifold? On the back of the eingine block?

Any help greater appreciated...

Thanks HT

Andy
Old 02-27-2006, 06:14 AM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coolant Leak somewhere - Any Suggestions? (AcidFr33ze)

I would pull off the thermostat housing and make sure it is seating correctly.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Coolant Leak somewhere - Any Suggestions? (gwl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gwl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would pull off the thermostat housing and make sure it is seating correctly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I double checked the theromstat. But I will check again later tonight, anything else guys?
Old 02-27-2006, 08:57 AM

::BUMP::
Old 02-27-2006, 10:04 AM

a cracked or damaged hose, when doing this type of job ushould have just bought all new hoses...
Old 02-27-2006, 12:01 PM

Default Re: (cdizzle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cdizzle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a cracked or damaged hose, when doing this type of job ushould have just bought all new hoses...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the obvious... Has anyone ever encountered a similar problem like this... Can anyone confirm if there are any coolant lines under the intake manifold, other than the ones leading to the thermostat?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: (AcidFr33ze)

there should be two small hoses running to the IACV on the manifold and two runing to the heater core at the firewall. one of the heater hoses should run under your dist. into the head. i can't remember if there is a bleeder screw on that motor or not. it would either be on the thermo. housing or on the nipple where the upper rad. hose goes into the head. there is also a metal pipe running behind the block and under the intake man. between the thermo. housing and the waterpump. if you took this loose when you pulled the head the O-rings may not have seated. and i think that is everything that could possibly be leaking. keep at it, you'll figure it out.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: (hondamark35)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondamark35 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there should be two small hoses running to the IACV on the manifold and two runing to the heater core at the firewall. one of the heater hoses should run under your dist. into the head. i can't remember if there is a bleeder screw on that motor or not. it would either be on the thermo. housing or on the nipple where the upper rad. hose goes into the head. there is also a metal pipe running behind the block and under the intake man. between the thermo. housing and the waterpump. if you took this loose when you pulled the head the O-rings may not have seated. and i think that is everything that could possibly be leaking. keep at it, you'll figure it out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am going to see if I could trace the leak tonight, if not I am going to have to take off the intake manifold..... Thanks for the good response hondamark35.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:36 PM

:: Last Bump :: before I check....