Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Coolant issue, somewhat worried

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant issue, somewhat worried

Hey guys, got a EG 95 Civic, pretty much stock. My coolant hose that connects to right under the throttle body broke/slipped off I guess, so I kinda did the mod to bypass it and topped it up with coolant. But now the car revs like crazy at idle, never did before. and I just noticed today testing the car out that theres coolant on the manifold..why?

Any leads in the right direction would be appreciated, will post pics
Old 04-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Coolant issue, somewhat worried

The 2 clamps are where I redirected it, right above it is where it should go, its pretty much gone.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Sounds like it came off the FITV (Fast Idle Thermo Valve). It uses coolant temperature to operate and has a definite impact on idle.

You car won't idle properly without it.

One thing that comes to mind is maybe the part you capped is the coolant return line, not the coolant feed line of the FITV. Cap the return, pressure builds and burst through the FITV into the intake manifold maybe?

Also not sure what part you routed the hose to, is it even for coolant? Could it be a vacuum line to the Manifold. I would have to see the full routing of all the hoses there and compare to the FSM to give you any definitive information beyond pure speculation.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The FITV can make your idle to hunt if stay open when car is fully warm.

1- bleed your coolant system. (if this not help)

2- Take your intake out with the engine running, plug the hole in the throttle body that lead to the FITV and see if the idle get fixed. (if this work You can block off your FITV or restore your system to OEM) Need a new throttle.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Nvm, I think I understand what you did, both lines are from the FITV and you just put it onto itself.... When you said one fell off, I didn't clue in you took the other off to connect them together. Was trying to figure out where you found a third hose.

Was the coolant in the manifold prior to you doing the coolant line bypass? Or was it dry, you did the bypass and now you are finding coolant in the throttlebody?

Originally Posted by carlos8
The FITV can make your idle to hunt if stay open when car is fully warm.

1- bleed your coolant system. (if this not help)

2- Take your intake out with the engine running, plug the hole in the throttle body that lead to the FITV and see if the idle get fixed. (if this work You can block off your FITV or restore your system to OEM) Need a new throttle.
The bottom hole in the throttle body should be the one to the FITV that Carlos is talking about blocking off. The upper hole should be going to the IACV.

So far it sound like you just need a new FITV. Oh and like Carlos said, burp the air out of the coolant system.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I see in the photo, is the pipe that come off the throttle the one that broke off.

I not use FITV for long time, but if I remember without the hot water it stay open all the time causing the idle to bounce when car is warm.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what i circled is what kinda like..rusted out i guess. the hose in my car went directly to it, instead of that..extension i guess youd call it? if that helps. im gonna pull the TB out and have a look at everything though in a bit