Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant flush

i have 03 civic and 99 altima and thinking to do a coolant change on both cars. i have seen procedure for this but have kinda different idea to see if that will work. i know once u take out the drain bolt from the radiator, it will take all the fluid out of radiator but you still have coolant in the engine block. in my car this bolt is above the oil filter and its kinda pain in a butt. so i was thinking is following

1: drain radiator, plug back in
2: fill with water, run car for 5 min,turn off
3: drain radiator again, plug back in.
4: fill with water, run car for 5 min, turn off
5: drain radiatorm plug back in
6: fill with water, run car for 5 min, turn off.

now only reason i m repeating this steps , is only to replace all the coolant from the system.

does this work ? please advise.

thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: coolant flush (return_2020)

Just go get it flushed. It shouldn't be more than like $40 and it will get done right.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:22 PM

I would just be a lil worried about adding cold water back into a warm engine.
That sudden temperature drop could cause some problems like a cracked head or something.
It's like putting a hot coffee cup into a sink with cold water. It may (or may not) crack the mug.

Just a thought.

Easiest way to get all the coolant out is put your garden hose on one of the lines going to the heater core and leave the rad cap off. Turn on the hose and out w/the old coolant.
Drain the water and refill w/coolant.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: coolant flush (sohcnotec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohcnotec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would just be a lil worried about adding cold water back into a warm engine.
That sudden temperature drop could cause some problems like a cracked head or something.
It's like putting a hot coffee cup into a sink with cold water. It may (or may not) crack the mug.

Just a thought.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have never had a problem with it. We do them every day at the dealership. And it isn't really cold water, it is about room temperature and in a shop room temp in the summer is normally about 80 degrees.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coolant flush (JDM-97CX)

Go to jiffy lube get it flushed call it a day
Old 08-04-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: coolant flush (TurboLiLcIvIc605)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboLiLcIvIc605 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go to jiffy lube get it flushed call it a day </TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldn't do that. I used to work at a jiffy lube when I was in tech school. Let me tell you, they have a lot of dumb ***** working there that should never be allowed to touch a car. I wouldn't trust them to check to see if my gas cap is tight, in fear of them accidently adding a quart of oil to it.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coolant flush (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wouldn't do that. I used to work at a jiffy lube when I was in tech school. Let me tell you, they have a lot of dumb ***** working there that should never be allowed to touch a car. I wouldn't trust them to check to see if my gas cap is tight, in fear of them accidently adding a quart of oil to it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They allow you to watch them so it isn't hard to tell if they are messing up.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:59 AM

Default Re: coolant flush (TurboLiLcIvIc605)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboLiLcIvIc605 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They allow you to watch them so it isn't hard to tell if they are messing up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So DO IT YOURSELF. If you dont know what to look for then youre fkd cause they could screw it up. If you DO then you could have saved the money and DONE IT YOURSELF.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:17 AM

thats true. in some places they hire some really true dumbasses to work on your car. its so sad lol
Old 09-22-2005, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: coolant flush (jxmac2o6)

just drain the radiator and fill it up. coolant is one of those fluids that really don't go "bad" like your oil and atf. so just do the radiator flush and top off and you'll be fine.

i work for Acura and we only drain the engine coolant when doing a water pump. other than that is flush and refill... al for $69.99
Old 09-22-2005, 08:03 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coolant flush (joey1320)

I just popped off the upper radiator hose stuck my garden hose into the block where the hose would go and took the radiator cap off. I turned on the hose and let it get ALL of the old coolant out. Drained all the water the best I could then added the antifreeze/water. Turned the car on and "bled" the coolant system. Car never lost antifreeze, never overheated. This is the way I will continue to do it. Doing an exchange IMO doesnt get everything out like a fast stream of water would. Doing the flush on your own is easy and cheap.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: coolant flush (turner7205)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just popped off the upper radiator hose stuck my garden hose into the block where the hose would go and took the radiator cap off. I turned on the hose and let it get ALL of the old coolant out. Drained all the water the best I could then added the antifreeze/water. Turned the car on and "bled" the coolant system. Car never lost antifreeze, never overheated. This is the way I will continue to do it. Doing an exchange IMO doesnt get everything out like a fast stream of water would. Doing the flush on your own is easy and cheap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

but first you had to remove the lower radiator hose to drain it?
Old 10-19-2005, 08:38 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coolant flush (HuskerHybrid)

Yeah, im not sure how I got all the water out. But that must have been it. Im glad this got bumped I need to do this before winter. IF your wondering how I got all the old stuff out I dropped the lower hose and removed the lower drain plug.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: coolant flush (turner7205)

so what i've read:

1) cool car down
2) pop off rad cap
3) pull off reservoir, clean
4) drain lower rad hose
5) drain radiator
6) drain engine block
7) plug everything back in except upper hose
8) stick hose toward block in upper hose flush? start engine? let all drain. plug up

or

8) plug everthing back up fill with distilled water, start and run engine, drain, repeat

9) fill again
10) bleed
11) check for leaks

not sure about step 8 there, i've read several ways to do it is can you do both or is one better?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: coolant flush

I wanted to add, that I also worked at jiffy lube in my wonder years(2 years ago) All because you are watching them doesnt not mean they are f***ing up. The key to it is not looking like you f***ed up when people are watching. I dont have a better place to say and have it done, but taking it to a quick lube or what ever they are called are all about the same. You need to find someone you trust and have them do the work to your car, which still isnt saying they wont f** up. But those fast oil change places f*** up, alot more than you should ever know. I have seen my share of shady things that the managers cover up and send on their mary way. I could really share some storys on that one. lol