Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

coolant burning. simple question

Old 10-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default coolant burning. simple question

ok i have a d16z6 in another car that im swapping into mine. the motor has a new headgasket but its burning coolant (i didnt put the headgasket on)

i was wandering.. besides the headgasket or a cracked block, are there any other ways coolant can enter the combustion chamber.

i plan on changing the headgasket anyways, since it coulda been done wrong, and inspecting the block. but just need to know if there is anything else i should look for (as far as coolant burning)

tia
Old 10-06-2006, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coolant burning. simple question (92ehatch)

bump for an easy question

what other ways can coolant enter the combustion chamber so i know what to look for.

my first swap/engine teardown. a learning experience for me. help a brother out
Old 10-06-2006, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

coolant lines routed improperly or broken sensors resulting in dumping coolant into the IM thru the throttle body or IACV or FITV
Old 10-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ill add a little more.

engine runs strong.

head has ben milled .001

it burns coolant after first startup and when it idles. after driving for mabey 5 min it doesnt burn anymore.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coolant burning. simple question (-EH3-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -EH3- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">coolant lines routed improperly or broken sensors resulting in dumping coolant into the IM thru the throttle body or IACV or FITV</TD></TR></TABLE>

welll the FITV has been removed because it has a skunk2 manifold with a str 68mm TB

can coolant enter through the IACV? cause i have an extra one from the d15 thanks, looking for all possibilites
Old 10-06-2006, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92ehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
can coolant enter through the IACV? cause i have an extra one from the d15 thanks, looking for all possibilites</TD></TR></TABLE>

Technically, yes it can. I know some people who have the coolant lines to/from the IACV blocked off.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:55 AM

Default Re: coolant burning. simple question (black_EM1)

intake manifold gasket... on a b16 there are two small ports on the passanger side of the block. these pass through the intake manifold gasket into two spouts( .. SPOUTS not nipples haha) where coolant hoses connect to. if your intake manifold gasket is not seated correctly, or has leftover gasket on it it is possible for the coolant to leak and get sucked into the cylinders where the runners should be connecting.

also like the other guy said. you might have some coolant/vaccum lines confused..

how do you know ur burning coolant? white smoke?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coolant burning. simple question (w0ng_sta)

yup pulled the IM gasket off and looked at where the coolant passage is. it appears that it was leaking from there.

it was a felpro gasket

im gonna get some honda oem and not pull the head. hopefullly that was it, if not then ill just pull the head and replace the headgasket later
Old 10-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coolant burning. simple question (w0ng_sta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by w0ng_sta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how do you know ur burning coolant? white smoke?</TD></TR></TABLE>

white and sweeeeet smelling. definately coolant.

i looked at the motor (i didnt put this thing together, someone else did) and i didnt see any coolant/vacuum lines mixed up.

have yet to pull the IACV off the intake manifold.

the headgasket is new, so i dont wanna pull the head if i dont have too. but then again, it would be easier to pull it and replace the headgasket now than after i put the motor in my car and find out it still burns coolant.

unfortunatly this is my first swap..im very limited on my knowlege and only have my helms and HT for information. i dont wanna deal with timing and all that crap after pulling the head.

thanks for the replies guys, will see how it goes
Old 10-06-2006, 10:34 PM

well im glad you found a leak .. hopefully that was the problem.. the iac doesnt really leak coolant really.. the hoses on the bottom just provide coolant flow to a very small area in the iac so the iac knows the temperature of the coolant and can adjust. as for your IM gasket.. i would just buy a hondata heatshield gasket.. reusable and will shape to fit if tightened down all the way... also give some distance between your im and head reducing temperatures
Old 10-06-2006, 11:09 PM

Default Re: coolant burning. simple question (black_EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Originally Posted by 92ehatch
can coolant enter through the IACV? cause i have an extra one from the d15 thanks, looking for all possibilites</TD></TR></TABLE>
Technically, yes it can. I know some people who have the coolant lines to/from the IACV blocked off.

Technically, no. The IACV is a cast piece of aluminum with a recessed area in the bottom. The cover is steel and has the two nipples on it.

Unless the aluminum has corroded a lot, I MEAN A LOT, it is ot going to leak.

The FITV can leak because there are o-rings that seal the valve. The IACV has nothing of the sort.

Anyway, ya, check the IM gasket.

&gt;&gt;&gt;&lt;&lt;&lt;
Old 10-07-2006, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92ehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yup pulled the IM gasket off and looked at where the coolant passage is. it appears that it was leaking from there.

it was a felpro gasket

im gonna get some honda oem and not pull the head. hopefullly that was it, if not then ill just pull the head and replace the headgasket later</TD></TR></TABLE>

i've never had a problem with a felpro gasket, often times i like the construction of felpro over oem stuff.