Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Converting To LSD... Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting To LSD... Recommendations?

I am looking to convert my non-LSD b18c1 (gsr) transmission into and LSD transmission. First off, I was having problems with my axle popping out so I replaced the axle. Turns out, it was the differential not holding the axle in. After that, I decided that I wanted to convert to LSD anyway. I know that I don't have to so please don't post about me not having to convert to LSD hehe. It's something that I want to do.

That being said, I have been looking around on the internet and have seen alot of good things about the Phantom Grip LSD conversion kit. I see it for 289.99 in some places and a bit more in other ones. Take a look at this one for example:
http://www.nipponpower.com/pro...2&mmk=

That is all that comes with that kit. Is that all that I need to convert the transmission over to a fully functioning LSD transmission? Sorry, I'm not that great with cars and I wanted to know all about this before I go ahead and do it. If that's not it, does anyone know exactly what I need to convert it over and is that the piece that keeps allowing my axle to pop out? If anyone else has a link to some other kits that are very renowned for quality, etc... Just let me know. I am trying to find everything out about this before I go making a move and buying the kit. I thought about getting a type R transmission but it's hard to find them by themselves and not in a full swap.

So, can anyone help me out here? I appreciate it.

*edit* i just found another thread in which someone was asking about it and it was mixed opinions. Alot of people mentioned quaife lsd. I'm not a cheapo or anything like that but I am not trying to spend thousands on converting my transmission to LSD. Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced place to find one of these Quaife LSD's? I am also still looking into the Phantom so please let me know any info. It all helps.

Modified by the_blob at 10:52 AM 9/3/2007
Old 09-03-2007, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you considered finding any B-series tranny's that have the factory LSD in them?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:22 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

Also there's nothing wrong with the OBX LSD. The new line has eliminated all the problems the old one had. It's cheap, it works, and a good amount of people have them.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:26 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: Converting To LSD... Recommendations? (the_blob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_blob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have been looking around on the internet and have seen alot of good things about the Phantom Grip LSD conversion kit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd like to know where you've read this. Everything that I've ever read about the phantom slip says that it's garbage.

The phantom slip uses your stock differential anyways, so if you have a damaged one it won't work.

Just get an obx.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

please stop saying "converting to lsd" and stick with "having an lsd installed"

i say go with the OBX as well, and there is no one that's going to try to talk you out of installing a lsd.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (instrument)

i converted my trans to lsd
Old 09-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Bense)

Bense have you gone emo all of a sudden? (avatar/caption)

Or am I mistaking Emo for "Hella-Jedi-badass?"
Old 09-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

the obx lsd is good from what i hear. you can also find an itr helical lsd on ebay there always floating around there. you wont find any quaife's for under 800$ usually, unless there used. the itr trans is even more expensive then that. so your best bet is the obx or itr unit. phantom grips are junk.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bense have you gone emo all of a sudden? (avatar/caption)

Or am I mistaking Emo for "Hella-Jedi-badass?"</TD></TR></TABLE>
lol, i was thinking of something to say, are you copying bloody knuckles?...jp (running)

go obx,theres also plenty of drag cars using them aswell.
i made the mistake of buying a used type-r tranny that had "no grinds, shifts perfect" now i have to put a 3rd gear sychro in it.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_blob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Sorry, I'm not that great with cars and I wanted to know all about this before I go ahead and do it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
If your planning on doing this yourself, it appears your not mechanically inclined and shouldn't try it.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:57 AM

I'm not doing it myself because I know that I'm not mechanically inclined. I had planned on looking into a type-r transmission but if I look into one of those which are used and people wanting like 1000 dollars for them, I might as well get a quaife lsd. I will look into the obx, thanks.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (the_blob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by the_blob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not doing it myself because I know that I'm not mechanically inclined. I had planned on looking into a type-r transmission but if I look into one of those which are used and people wanting like 1000 dollars for them, I might as well get a quaife lsd. I will look into the obx, thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It would probably cost more to buy an LSD, and then pay labor to have it installed, than it would be to find a B-series tranny with the factory LSD in it already.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (the_blob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It would probably cost more to buy an LSD, and then pay labor to have it installed, than it would be to find a B-series tranny with the factory LSD in it already.</TD></TR></TABLE>
true that, it's hard to find a trust worthy seller when going for a used tranny though
Old 09-04-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: (95dxsir2)

its okay i got it taken care of. thanks alot for the input guys i appreciate it.