Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Convert JDM cluster kmh to mph.. explaination inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert JDM cluster kmh to mph.. explaination inside

i just got a Jdm cluster because my dx obviously doesnt have a tach. i was hangin out with a bunch of my nissan friends and one of them had just gotten a jdm s13 cluster that reads kmh. he was telling me if you solder a resistor between 2 spots on the back of the speedo then recalibrate your speedo if now shows mph even though everything is laid out in kmh. so basically the cluster will read up to 180mph now instead of 180 kmh. yea i know that a little s13 isnt going to be going 180mph nor is my hatch but i'm wondering if anyoen has done this on a civic cluster. and if so, which 2 spots did you conncet with this resistor?

just asking a question, thought it was pretty cool. thanks for any and all help. please no flaming if you dont like the idea or why i didnt just get a usdm cluster (got the jdm one pretty cheap so theres your answer).

Modified by 95dxhatch at 2:27 AM 10/8/2004
Old 10-03-2004, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump1
Old 10-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95dxhatch)

um.. for civics.. all u do is swap the speedo from any civic cluster that has MPH over to the JDM/CDM ones. done.

i had a VTi cluster, and i swapped the speedos.. i basically converted to an ex/si cluster
Old 10-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Convert JDM cluster kmh to mph.. explaination inside (95dxhatch)

This might work, but I'm not sure. My cousin sent me pics of his R33 and the speedo is in MPH and goes up to 180 MPH. I guess when Motorex imports them, they do something like what you are saying.

Modified by BlueIntegraBoy at 10:16 PM 10/3/2004
Old 10-03-2004, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ieatrice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ieatrice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um.. for civics.. all u do is swap the speedo from any civic cluster that has MPH over to the JDM/CDM ones. done.

i had a VTi cluster, and i swapped the speedos.. i basically converted to an ex/si cluster</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you just swapped over the speedo and odometer and leave the tach? Do your VTI needles LIGHT up?
Old 10-03-2004, 11:01 PM

Default Re: (ieatrice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ieatrice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">um.. for civics.. all u do is swap the speedo from any civic cluster that has MPH over to the JDM/CDM ones. done.

i had a VTi cluster, and i swapped the speedos.. i basically converted to an ex/si cluster</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yea just take the spedo out of your old cluster and put it in the new and if you wanted you could keep the "JDM" face and use it on the speedo that is in MPH instead of wiring stuff up.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cappa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cappa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yea just take the spedo out of your old cluster and put it in the new and if you wanted you could keep the "JDM" face and use it on the speedo that is in MPH instead of wiring stuff up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You won't be able to use the JDM face correctly. First, you got to take the needle off and calibrating can be a pain. Second, your needle is calibrated to still read in KPH and not in MPH.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:35 PM

Default Re: (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You won't be able to use the JDM face correctly. First, you got to take the needle off and calibrating can be a pain. Second, your needle is calibrated to still read in KPH and not in MPH.</TD></TR></TABLE>
No the needle is just a plastic part that doesnt matter, you have to use the stock MPH speedo out of your cluster (the motor gears ect... that is in mph) 2 screws hold the face on, correct? so you pull the needle off the jdm and stock speedo then you take the faces off both so all together you will have 2 needles 2 speedo units 2 faces. Now you take the gears from the mph one and stick it in the jdm cluster. then you take the jdm face and screw it on the mph speedo that is in the jdm cluster. the you take the jdm or stock needle what ever one you want and stick it on the jdm cluster that has the mph speedo and jdm face. Now you will look like you have a jdm cluster that works in mph. And yes doing the needle is a bitch. I just did faces on mine and I had a friend pace me and call me on my cell to tell me what speed we are going and just poped the needle on at that speed. Then had to come back home and put the plastic cover back on the gauges. Doing that will also help if you changed the height of the tire size and it incorrect. When I did 20's on my g/f stang hers was way off but you mainly need to know the exact speed you are going when you are going like 55 65 mph so when we got up to that speed I had a friend pace me and say ok we are going 60 mph now and stuck it on. Its a ghetto way of getting your speed right when you change the tire size. If you still dont understand me let me know.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if i take my speedo from my old cluster i'll have 2 white face gauges on the outside and 1 black face gauge in the middle theres got to be a way to just solder a resistor in... jsut not sure where on the back of the speedo
Old 10-04-2004, 12:01 AM

You are not reading, use the jdm face and the american insides of the speedo then they will all match. Read what I wrote dont just skim over it.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the easiest way is to memorize the conversion speeds.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cappa1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No the needle is just a plastic part that doesnt matter, you have to use the stock MPH speedo out of your cluster (the motor gears ect... that is in mph) 2 screws hold the face on, correct? so you pull the needle off the jdm and stock speedo then you take the faces off both so all together you will have 2 needles 2 speedo units 2 faces. Now you take the gears from the mph one and stick it in the jdm cluster. then you take the jdm face and screw it on the mph speedo that is in the jdm cluster. the you take the jdm or stock needle what ever one you want and stick it on the jdm cluster that has the mph speedo and jdm face. Now you will look like you have a jdm cluster that works in mph. And yes doing the needle is a bitch. I just did faces on mine and I had a friend pace me and call me on my cell to tell me what speed we are going and just poped the needle on at that speed. Then had to come back home and put the plastic cover back on the gauges. Doing that will also help if you changed the height of the tire size and it incorrect. When I did 20's on my g/f stang hers was way off but you mainly need to know the exact speed you are going when you are going like 55 65 mph so when we got up to that speed I had a friend pace me and say ok we are going 60 mph now and stuck it on. Its a ghetto way of getting your speed right when you change the tire size. If you still dont understand me let me know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The film on the back reads KPH. If you switch the motors and stick it in the JDM cluster, it still reads in KPH. Like I said, there's no point in swapping faces because it's not going to be calibrated. I don't know if the 10-20 MPH and the 10-20 KPH intervals are the same on the faces. If so, your way might work.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the easiest way is to memorize the conversion speeds.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-06-2004, 02:00 PM
EK22snatch

Default Re: (JforJonathan)

yeah no ****. just memorize like 3 conversions and it becomes second nature to you in a month or so. if you dont want your cluster, then sell it and pay half as much for a usdm one, cuz i want an ek4 cluster

Old 10-07-2004, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EK22snatch)

In the UK for when we import cars from Japan we can buy a little device which converts the VSS signal so that the cluster will display the MPH rather than the KPH.
Face still looks KPH tho, but thats JDM bling y0! right?
Old 10-07-2004, 07:43 AM

Default Re: (nominous)

i dunno but. one time i tried taking the needles off of my DX cluster (the fuel gauge) and it snapped off. is there a proper way. after doing that it didnt seem like they were detachable to me.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:20 AM

Hmm sounds tricky
Old 10-07-2004, 07:29 PM

Default Or, couldn't you just...?

Why couldn't you just calibrate your speedo way off, without any soldering or splicing or shyt, and just calibrate it to where you're going 20mph while the needle reads 20kM/h. Does it not work that way? Do yall understand what I am saying...
Old 10-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, i watched a buddy of mine solder 1 resistor on the back of his speedo on a jdm s13 cluster. took him all of 10 minutes to do it all. its not that hard to do jsut need to figure out which spots to connect. its not that hard of a question
Old 10-07-2004, 08:38 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think the easiest way is to memorize the conversion speeds.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree thats how i learned
Old 10-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itsm3paul)

kilometers&gt;MPH
100km x .621 = 62 mph

but if you basically take any number on the jdm cluster and multiply it by 6 then you will have a pretty close MPH estimate..

EX: 60 kmh&gt;36mph
take the 60 x 6 and you'll have your answer

thats how i do it......but jst my .02
Old 10-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OR you guys could just buy a Yellow Box and be done with it.

http://www.blackrobotics.com
Old 10-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonathan_ED3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_ED3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OR you guys could just buy a Yellow Box and be done with it.

http://www.blackrobotics.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was thinking yeah that would be a good idea........then i saw it was $110 shipped.....

looks cool tho
Old 10-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itsm3paul)

Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy »
I think the easiest way is to memorize the conversion speeds.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itsm3paul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i agree thats how i learned </TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here .
Old 10-07-2004, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (impound)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by impound &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i was thinking yeah that would be a good idea........then i saw it was $110 shipped.....

looks cool tho </TD></TR></TABLE>

The benefits are endless though. Everytime you change tire sizes it throws your speedo off unless you PROPERLY upsize/downsize [which most people do not].

Old 10-08-2004, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive got the conversions down but would rather it be in mph just because. i guess ill search elsewhere. thanks for zero help guys

Quick Reply: Convert JDM cluster kmh to mph.. explaination inside