Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Consistent rotational knocking noise when turning left or right while on the gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Icon6 Re: Hearing knocking noise when turning left...HELP PLEASE. It's not the axle.

Originally Posted by American.Graffiti
I actually read the entire thread and as usual you amaze me with the amount of detailed information you've provided, so allow me to say thank you for that. But on to the matter at hand, the one discussion about the differential confirms my initial thought about it being your differential. I'm sure the axle and intermediate shaft does play a significant difference but i feel that you would have the same problem turning right as you would turning left. I cannot imagine that the drive train load would differentiate based upon the direction you turn (although the weight on the driver side is heavier than than on the passenger side due to the engine block being on one side and the transmission being on the left). And even after reading over this post I can't imagine the problem being anything other than the differential.

I'll look for an intermediate shaft and tell a few other squad members. PM me if you have any thoughts on my suggestion.
Thanks man. Yeah...I should probably have the thread title updated. I can't remember if I ever mentioned that the knocking noise does happen when turning both left and right.

But how would it make the same exact noise with two different diffs installed?
Old 04-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Hearing knocking noise when turning left...HELP PLEASE. It's not the axle.

That sucks! Sorry, I thought you figured it out...

Originally Posted by mcvtec
That's really awsome that you figured it out. I wasn't sure if AT half shafts were different than MT shafts. Great pics too.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hearing knocking noise when turning left...HELP PLEASE. It's not the axle.

i have the same problem for over two years. ive changed everything bushings, ball joints, control arms, axles, bearings, steering rack, etc..... and it still makes the same noise the OP described.

two things i have yet to change is the knuckle and intermediate shaft. i have thought about raising my car up to stock height to see if the problem still persists.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Resident Gearhead

Have you changed the diff?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you changed the diff?
Originally Posted by gabebauman
I purchased an OEM B16/S4C LSD differential that came with a 66 tooth ring gear already attached to it, (teeth are all fine on it).
Yes. New, (used) LSD diff was installed at the transmission shop a week ago. Same exact noise before and after.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Resident Gearhead

Yes. New, (used) LSD diff was installed at the transmission shop a week ago. Same exact noise before and after.
Sorry, I was talking to ejprimo. I should have quoted him.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well it happenend with a no lsd tranny i used to have before it was trash. and it still happens with my current b16a lsd tranny.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Hearing knocking noise when turning left...HELP PLEASE. It's not the axle.

Originally Posted by ejprimo
well it happenend with a no lsd tranny i used to have before it was trash. and it still happens with my current b16a lsd tranny.
And you mentioned before the only thing you haven't replaced is the intermediate shaft correct? Same with me. But I hope to pick up one from a friend tonight.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:16 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Consistent rotational knocking noise when turning left or right while on the gas.

OP, i had the stuff to rebuild the bearing end of the intermediate shaft at one point, all new stuff from Honda, but i can't find it. i just looked for you. i never used the parts because i ended up getting this - http://www.streetimports.com/product_details.asp?id=711

the quality was nice on that unit, however...it didn't solve my particular issue, which was a vibration on acceleration.

nothing did, actually. i never really figured out wtf the issue was with my setup i could not afford to throw any more money at it so i sold the car 12/07 after 9 years of ownership. i spent like 3k on trouble shooting, basically replacing parts and pulling my hair out. and after spending 6k for a swap and all the parts, etc, i just couldn't stomach spending the additional thousands to troubleshoot.

is your car on coilovers? can you raise the car to see if it changes the symptoms?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Consistent rotational knocking noise when turning left or right while on the gas.

Originally Posted by builthatch
OP, i had the stuff to rebuild the bearing end of the intermediate shaft at one point, all new stuff from Honda, but i can't find it. i just looked for you. i never used the parts because i ended up getting this - http://www.streetimports.com/product_details.asp?id=711

the quality was nice on that unit, however...it didn't solve my particular issue, which was a vibration on acceleration.

nothing did, actually. i never really figured out wtf the issue was with my setup i could not afford to throw any more money at it so i sold the car 12/07 after 9 years of ownership. i spent like 3k on trouble shooting, basically replacing parts and pulling my hair out. and after spending 6k for a swap and all the parts, etc, i just couldn't stomach spending the additional thousands to troubleshoot.

is your car on coilovers? can you raise the car to see if it changes the symptoms?
Thanks for the post. Yeah...I was reading thru your thread last week and your symptoms seemed a bit different than mine...but similar in the same respect. Yes...I am on coilovers, (Ground Control with custom rates) but this noise developed nine months after I had installed the suspension onto my car.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: Consistent rotational knocking noise when turning left or right while on the gas.

Thanks for the post. Yeah...I was reading thru your thread last week and your symptoms seemed a bit different than mine...but similar in the same respect. Yes...I am on coilovers, (Ground Control with custom rates) but this noise developed nine months after I had installed the suspension onto my car.
i see. hmm.

i would raise it up anyway just to see if anything changes. it might help narrow things down.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Consistent rotational knocking noise when turning left or right while on the gas

Oh...yay...the speedometer just quick working. Gonna have to check the speed sensor later tonight. I wonder if the speed sensor from the spare Cx trans I have laying in the garage will work. Of course...it could have just come unplugged or gotten wet?

99-00 Civic Si
Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Consistent rotational knocking noise when turning left or right while on the gas

Swapped out the intermediate shaft this morning. That wasn't it. BUT...I did however, just out of curiosity, grab the passenger side cv shaft, give it some love, and it had a very distinct clunking noise to it when I moved it back and forth. I'm picking a new one up from Napa tomorrow. Napa axle/cv shaft was new back in October 2009. Maybe I'm just going thru axles?

Sorry it's so dark...but this is the noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM1WE4CPjfA
Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Consistent rotational knocking noise when turning left or right while on the gas

In for results.. with that passenger side axle. I purchased 2 Napa axles for my B18B swap about 9 months ago, and I soon had the quiet "dadadadada" upon hard accel from 10mph-30mph or so. My fear was rod or bearing knock on my 40k jdm swap. That never ended up being the case... (Thank god)

Then many months later I developed a louder knock knock knock just like yours when turning. Easier heard when going slower. 20-30mph.
The last couple days I think I can feel the knock vibrations at speed, and the knock sound is louder when it shows up.
Definitely feels like a CV to me. So I've been taking it easier on the drive
You had me scared with the transmission\differential talk. I paid a stack for my JDM LSD GSR trans...

I really hope its that passenger axle
Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: Consistent rotational knocking noise when turning left or right while on the gas

Originally Posted by 95streetciv
I really hope its that passenger axle
Me too. Thank God for Napa's lifetime warranty cv shafts. Haha.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:07 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Me too. Thank God for Napa's lifetime warranty cv shafts. Haha.
well, this is what led me down the road before with my issue where i purchased "new" axles. i knew, for a fact, that many many times reman'd axles can be either poorly executed or, as you have found out earlier in your dilemma, reman'd with incorrect specifications and/or components per the advertised application.

unfortunately for me, 1. the first set of "new" axles were trash from DSS and 2. the second set were good, from an OE replacement company, but it all didn't solve my issue so for me it was all moot.

if i had to do it all over again, if i ever needed new axles i'd get raxles just because i'd be so confident they would be proper for the application and properly executed as a whole.

OP, have you had the chance to raise the car to near stock height just to see if it changes anything? i think it will help narrow things down as it will show if a bind is occuring in some capacity or if it is unaffected and indeed something else.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, this is what led me down the road before with my issue where i purchased "new" axles. i knew, for a fact, that many many times reman'd axles can be either poorly executed or, as you have found out earlier in your dilemma, reman'd with incorrect specifications and/or components per the advertised application.

unfortunately for me, 1. the first set of "new" axles were trash from DSS and 2. the second set were good, from an OE replacement company, but it all didn't solve my issue so for me it was all moot.

if i had to do it all over again, if i ever needed new axles i'd get raxles just because i'd be so confident they would be proper for the application and properly executed as a whole.

OP, have you had the chance to raise the car to near stock height just to see if it changes anything? i think it will help narrow things down as it will show if a bind is occuring in some capacity or if it is unaffected and indeed something else.
Yeah…if this turns out to be the problem and it happens again to the replacement axle…I’ll probably try a more expensive/trustworthy source for my axles from there on.

No...I've yet to adjust the height of the car. If the noise persists after the new passenger side axle...I will definitely give that a shot. I want to cut down on the repeat visits to the alignment shop if I can.

Cool diagram explanations on their website: http://www.raxles.com/axleparts.aspx
Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-09-2010, 11:36 AM
MiG-21 superfan

^

GTFO!, lol
Old 04-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^

GTFO!, lol
No Joke. I'll post pix later.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So let's get back to my little project.

Sorry for leaving you in suspense yesterday morning with the amazingly high quality video footage.

Due to my wonderfully hectic schedule I decided that my lunch break would be the best time to swap the passenger side cv shaft out. So I picked up a new one at Napa this afternoon, (thanks Dustin).

Old axle came out like a charm and I immediately started to examine the two cv shafts side by side.

That's funny...kind-of a length issue just like we witnessed with the driver side huh?

But we've been there before right? I thought this was my problem on the left side of the car last week.

Scratching head......

Sure...whatever...worth a shot right?

Let's throw this bad dad in and Roll Out like flippin' Autobots

First turn from Franklin onto Merle Hay, (where the sound usually greeted me every morning on the way to work)...NON-EXISTENT! Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...let's give it the real test. So I pulled into the First Assembly of God church parking lot and started doing some circles first to the left next to the right.

It's gone! The noise! Yeah...the knocking sound...it's just....gone!

THANK YOU JESUS! PRAISE THE LORD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsolaeHC9zg

Last edited by gabebauman; 04-09-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:23 PM
MiG-21 superfan

that's awesome. this happens so much with the auto parts store axles. if it isn't a flat out tolerance or assembly issue, they just don't understand the slight variations from setup to setup. i guess for the average car you can have loose length specifications because they aren't sensitive to binding, but as you lower the car, the axles stretches out and angles get more aggressive, so if something isn't the right length the issue is magnified.

excellent work and congratulations y0.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Resident Gearhead

Nice! Sucks it gave you so much trouble, but what an easy fix! Good to hear you figured it out.

It really seems like the alxe would do this, if the diff is not to blame
I knew it!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

posting so i remember this. Got the knocking problem and the axle was replaced almost 4 weeks ago. Autozone DS axle. Got a new one and it should be going in tomorrow. hopefully.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gold DA9
posting so i remember this. Got the knocking problem and the axle was replaced almost 4 weeks ago. Autozone DS axle. Got a new one and it should be going in tomorrow. hopefully.
Main think to do is set the two next to each other and examine closely when you get the one off the car. If the old one is longer than the new one...that is most-likely the problem.

Quick Reply: Consistent rotational knocking noise when turning left or right while on the gas