Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Confused with V-tec

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused with V-tec

Hey guys, I'm really confused about my v-tec. everyone always says that you know when it turns on and that it kicks in around5800 RPMs. Well, i've taken my car to that point and I never felt anything. when I would shift I would hear a high whistle noice but the car never took off or anything. could someone please explain this v-tec thing and give me some direction because I'm lost. I just bought my del sol and I love it but don't understand how this v-tec works?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:09 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC

Taah-Dah.

Also, you probably just never feel your VTEC, because you have a stock D16Z6 ... so it's rather gutless.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:11 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also, you probably just never feel your VTEC, because you have a stock D16Z6 ... so it's rather gutless.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly! Plus, there's no hyphen if you've ever looked @ your valve cover...you'd see that. Just VTEC, 4 letters.

Alot of people expect vtec to be this magical boost that snaps your head back. Depending on the motor and modifications, you may not even be able to HEAR it, let alone feel it.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

first of all. my valve cover doesn't say "Vtec" so please forgive me. secondly, the only mod I have done is a AEM cold air intake. What else should I do?
Old 01-13-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: (Frost_1097)

vtech is hella fast dude

mad 3rd gear type r vtach qualifies me as a time traveler
Old 01-13-2007, 01:20 PM

if u have a dual cam you will definitley hear it
Old 01-13-2007, 01:21 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frost_1097 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first of all. my valve cover doesn't say "Vtec" so please forgive me. secondly, the only mod I have done is a AEM cold air intake. What else should I do?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You should read.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You should read.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah man. To the original poster...don't take what Eran said as a negative comment. He's actually exactly right. The best thing you can do when you first get into Hondas is sit back and read as much as possible. Before you make threads asking questions, click on each forum and read the "stickied" posts that are @ the top of each forum. They will explain SO much to you. After you learn as much as possible, all your questions will be answered and you'll be much more comfortable making decisions regarding your car.

In my 5 years of browsing Honda-Tech, and my 3 or so years as an active member...I probably only made about 5 threads asking questions. Every other question I ever had was answered on here by searching previous threads, reading the stickies...and overall just hanging around absorbing knowledge. Enjoy your stay here @ Honda-Tech as any question you could ever want to know has already been answered on here and all of this information is at your fingertips.

Good luck.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:33 PM

Well guys, I'm sorry if I got a little upset. My bad. I totally agree about searching and reading up on things. I spend a lot of time searching and trying to learn new things about my car. It's just everything I have read about vtec post talks about how you can feel it and all that stuff. I can hear something I am assuming is it. But the main reason why I ask is because I just bought this car and I'm just trying to make sure everything is right on it. I've learned a ton from this site. But regardless, you guys rock and I love this site.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frost_1097 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well guys, I'm sorry if I got a little upset. My bad. I totally agree about searching and reading up on things. I spend a lot of time searching and trying to learn new things about my car. It's just everything I have read about vtec post talks about how you can feel it and all that stuff. I can hear something I am assuming is it. But the main reason why I ask is because I just bought this car and I'm just trying to make sure everything is right on it. I've learned a ton from this site. But regardless, you guys rock and I love this site.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I gotcha now...since you just got the car, for all you know vtec may not even be engaging (working). Now I understand why you made the thread. Are you getting any Check Engine Lights? If not, I would assume that everything is ok. And I'm glad that you didn't take any of my posts as offensive because that is not the way I meant it. I'm glad you seem to have taken things correctly. I didn't want you to think I was insulting you, or basically saying "you're stupid..go search!".
Old 01-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I might have missed this in your post, but what trim level civic do you have (dx, lx, hx ex, si)? It could be that you don't even have vtec, in the case that you have a dx or lx.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Hemix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hemix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I might have missed this in your post, but what trim level civic do you have (dx, lx, hx ex, si)? It could be that you don't even have vtec, in the case that you have a dx or lx.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think you missed more, he said it was a del sol. never seen a dk, lx, hx, ex, del sol's.

also, though he most likely has a sohc, i've driven in ex coupes and i have heard and felt when vtec kicks on. if i really wasn't paying attention i'll miss it, but i can feel it.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

Yep, definately missed the del sol part, sorry.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: (Hemix)

it's ok, but yeah, it's a del sol sohc Si D16Z6. I have searched and everyone has said that it kicks in at 4800 RPMs but I might just be expecting more than what I really have.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

I can hear VTEC perfectly fine on my y8
Old 01-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frost_1097 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's ok, but yeah, it's a del sol sohc Si D16Z6. I have searched and everyone has said that it kicks in at 4800 RPMs but I might just be expecting more than what I really have.</TD></TR></TABLE>

With the Z6 it's more of a tone change you hear by 5-5.5k. If you're really looking for it you can feel it when it engages, but it's rather hard and a lot of people don't notice it. The most you'll notice is the tone of the exhaust change, it gets "gruffer."

You were probably just expecting more than what you really have, the Z6 isn't exactly a full tuned race engine.

Though you said you wanted to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with it. If anything goes wrong with your VTEC system it won't engage and you'll get a CEL. The other possible time it won't engage is if you have insufficient oil pressure, you won't get a CEL then.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Yea I have the Y8 motor too but there's not THAT much of a difference. As previously posted, if you had anything wrong a check engine light would be lit. Honda's are very good at letting you know somethings wrong, hell sometimes even if nothing is wrong. If you can hear the tone change, that probably is vtec on your car kicking in. But either way, welcome to the site and hopefully you'll get some really good knowledge!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (bart2546)

i thought the only del-sol vtec they had came with a b16a3. actually im pretty positive. now if you bought the del sol si, and it has a single cam, someone swapped it.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:49 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (debo*)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by debo* &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought the only del-sol vtec they had came with a b16a3. actually im pretty positive. now if you bought the del sol si, and it has a single cam, someone swapped it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Del Sol S's had a D15B7 and then later, a D16Y7. Del Sol Si's had a D16Z6, and then in later years, a D16Y8. Del Sol VTEC's had a B16A3, and then a B16A2.

*edit due to sleep-induced retardation*

Modified by Eran at 2:17 PM 1/14/2007
Old 01-13-2007, 06:49 PM

well eran,are you saying that 1993 del sol SI SOHC wouldn't have vtec? I'm a little confused by your last post. I know mine is a vtec and I know it is a D16z6
Old 01-13-2007, 06:53 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frost_1097 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well eran,are you saying that 1993 del sol SI SOHC wouldn't have vtec? I'm a little confused by your last post. I know mine is a vtec and I know it is a D16z6</TD></TR></TABLE>

If your model is a Del Sol VTEC, then someone took out the stock motor. If your model is a Del Sol Si, then you have the proper motor.

1st Gen Del Sol:
===========
Del Sol S = D15B7 = SOHC Non-VTEC
Del Sol Si = D16Z6 = SOHC VTEC
Del Sol VTEC = B16A3 = DOHC VTEC

*edit due to sleep-induced retardation*

Modified by Eran at 2:17 PM 1/14/2007
Old 01-13-2007, 06:58 PM

Del Sol VTEC = B16A2 = DOHC VTEC</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eran,

I've never owned a Del Sol, so I'm not really fluent when it comes to trim levels and availability...but these are pretty rare, arent they? I've NEVER seen one in person, nor have I seen any available for sale in my area.

A little *** Del Sol w/ a B16 must move pretty nicely. I mean, for ANY car to move nicely with a B16 it better be pretty damn light.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:59 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Eran,

I've never owned a Del Sol, so I'm not really fluent when it comes to trim levels and availability...but these are pretty rare, arent they? I've NEVER seen one in person, nor have I seen any available for sale in my area.

A little *** Del Sol w/ a B16 must move pretty nicely. I mean, for ANY car to move nicely with a B16 it better be pretty damn light.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sol's are heavy.

And yes, the VTEC trim is the rarest breed.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:01 PM

Sol's are heavy.

And yes, the VTEC trim is the rarest breed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha really? I had no idea Del Sols were relatively heavy. I don't need an exact weight, but are they heavier than a 92-95 Civic DX? CX? I really never knew that.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:04 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha really? I had no idea Del Sols were relatively heavy. I don't need an exact weight, but are they heavier than a 92-95 Civic DX? CX? I really never knew that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, they're heavier than hatchies. It's because they have extra bracing and support because they don't have full pillars and a roof.

Quick Reply: Confused with V-tec