Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Confused on setting timing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused on setting timing.

I have the gun set at 16º, am I supposed to line it up with the one in the middle of the group of 3? Or is am is it supposed to be at 0º and line it up with the middle?

EDIT:

Ok found my problem I guess, now how do I fix it...

When I'm at the red mark the cams are up side down?

Now when the cams are right, the crank pulley is off...

Modified by cheesee at 7:11 PM 4/15/2007
Old 04-15-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Confused on setting timing. (cheesee)

help...right now i have it set at 16º and its in the middle of the group of 3.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:58 AM

I assume you're using a regular timing light with no adjustment or compensation?

The way to do it is make sure the car is at normal operating temp, idle has to be 750 +/- 50 rpm. Now jump the service connector. You should see 3 marks, one of them i believe is red. Try lining it up with the red mark. The one white mark that's all by itself is TDC, but unless you turned the dizzy all the way then you shouldn't even be able to see that mark.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Confused on setting timing. (JDMFantasy2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFantasy2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I assume you're using a regular timing light with no adjustment or compensation?

The way to do it is make sure the car is at normal operating temp, idle has to be 750 +/- 50 rpm. Now jump the service connector. You should see 3 marks, one of them i believe is red. Try lining it up with the red mark. The one white mark that's all by itself is TDC, but unless you turned the dizzy all the way then you shouldn't even be able to see that mark. </TD></TR></TABLE>

this is what i have http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr...e=Yes
Old 04-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the three mark is for a non advance timing light. so when the light is at 0 deg, if it line up with the middle mark of the 3 mark, thats mean you are at 16 btdc.

but if u are using an advance timing light, adjust the deg that u want, u should line the light up with the mark by itself alone.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Confused on setting timing. (spoon_ek9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoon_ek9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the three mark is for a non advance timing light. so when the light is at 0 deg, if it line up with the middle mark of the 3 mark, thats mean you are at 16 btdc.

but if u are using an advance timing light, adjust the deg that u want, u should line the light up with the mark by itself alone.</TD></TR></TABLE>

when i had it at 0 i couldn't get it to line up with the middle mark.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:36 PM

Why is that i cant get it in the middle when i have the gun set at 0? i never took off the dizzy but i did take out the cam and just pushed off the timing belt.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cheesee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why is that i cant get it in the middle when i have the gun set at 0? i never took off the dizzy but i did take out the cam and just pushed off the timing belt. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well, better check your timing belt if it is line up right, as u know, distributor is driven by the cam which is driven by the timing belt which driven by the crank. if the timing belt timing is off, it will throw whatever thing attach to it off.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Confused on setting timing. (spoon_ek9)

Ok found my problem I guess, now how do I fix it...

When I'm at the red mark the cams are up side down?

Now when the cams are right, the crank pulley is off...

Old 04-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From the pictures.. it looks like your timing belt is out of time.. you need to have the crank lined up with the grove that is all by itself.. the other groves are for advanced timing.. when the two cams are lined up.. the two lines are horzontal and the up marks are up.. the crank should be on the grove by itself..

your picture has the cams lined up and the crank like 4 teeth off.. you said you slipped the belt off to remove the cam but did you make sure it was all lined up when you put the cam and belt back on? recheck your belt timing
Old 04-15-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Confused on setting timing. (geebs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by geebs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From the pictures.. it looks like your timing belt is out of time.. you need to have the crank lined up with the grove that is all by itself.. the other groves are for advanced timing.. when the two cams are lined up.. the two lines are horzontal and the up marks are up.. the crank should be on the grove by itself..

your picture has the cams lined up and the crank like 4 teeth off.. you said you slipped the belt off to remove the cam but did you make sure it was all lined up when you put the cam and belt back on? recheck your belt timing</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought the middle was 16º ?

Old 04-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When your setting the timing belt you want everything at TDC (white line on crank and cam gears up). When your checking TDC put the crank at TDC and see where the cams are. Dont set the cams and expect the crank to be TDC because it sometimes will show off. So crank first then cam.

When your setting ignition timing with a light you want:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoon_ek9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the three mark is for a non advance timing light. so when the light is at 0 deg, if it line up with the middle mark of the 3 mark, thats mean you are at 16 btdc.

but if u are using an advance timing light, adjust the deg that u want, u should line the light up with the mark by itself alone.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is your car running like complete ****?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Confused on setting timing. (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When your setting the timing belt you want everything at TDC (white line on crank and cam gears up). When your checking TDC put the crank at TDC and see where the cams are. Dont set the cams and expect the crank to be TDC because it sometimes will show off. So crank first then cam.

When your setting ignition timing with a light you want:

Is your car running like complete ****? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok I'll pull the timing belt back off and cams. Didn't know that the white line by itself was TDC...

Is my car running like ****? I havent driven it but started it and let it warm up and seems fine.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:42 PM

Is this where it's supposed to be? Just wana make check for sure, hate putting the damn belt on lol..

Old 04-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep looks like thats perfect right there, now just get the belt on without moving anything.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:29 PM

It's a taddddd bit off, will it be fine? And when setting the timing belt, there's like a half inch of play when i push down on the belt from the top.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you rotate it 90 degrees counter clockwise and tighten the tensioner then rotate? Do that and set it back to TDC and see where everything is.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you rotate it 90 degrees counter clockwise and tighten the tensioner then rotate? Do that and set it back to TDC and see where everything is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I loosened the tentionor, rotated it all the way around and back to TDC, then tighted it.

So i need to loosen the tentionor, rotate it 90º then tighten, then roate it back to TDC?
Old 04-15-2007, 07:34 PM

Just tried it, same thing.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cheesee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I loosened the tentionor, rotated it all the way around and back to TDC, then tighted it.

So i need to loosen the tentionor, rotate it 90º then tighten, then roate it back to TDC?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Set everything to TDC and hand tight the tensioner. Rotate the engine 90degree's then tighten the tensioner down with a ratchet. THEN rotate the engine 6 times completely by hand then go back to TDC and see where everything is.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:55 PM

I got it, did it a diff way tho. set the motor at tdc, loosen the tensioner, rotate the motor 3 teeth counter clockwise, tighten the tensioner.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so now you have cam/crank timing correct? cams lines match and the white tdc mark is lined up with the lower timing belt cover? now you can run the car and adjust the dizzy timing with a timing light and the other three marks on the crank pulley..