Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

confused about dual cam engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default confused about dual cam engines

Take a b16 head, add sexy cams, valves & springs, P&P. Take a b18 block, add forged rods and pistons, maybe a crank, an oil cooler, whatever other accessories you like..

what do I call this? I wanna call it a type-r cuz thats what Honda called a b16 head on a b18 block. If I sand the stamps off, what would you call it?
what if use a regular Integra crank and matching forged rods and 12:1 pistons?

i really hate saying LS when referring to a Honda cuz the GM LS engine kicks lots of *** it has their version of i-vtec now, matching the MPG of our engines in a multi-ton truck. With lots more power&torque.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: confused about dual cam engines

Which b18 block there's different ones you know....no it' NOT a type r most likely an LS/Vtec or for some reason you wanted to put a b16 head on a gsr(b18c1) block it would be referred to as a hybrid although no gains to be had by doing that. Why shave the stamps so you can try and scam someone ? there's 2 integra cranks 87mm found in the ITR/GSR(1.8l) and an 89mm in the ls(b18-non vtec) also found in the b20(CRV) engine.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

What if I get am given an empty block that says b18c5, and install a LS crank, a nice forged copy of LS rods, and some about 12:1 forged pistons?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

And no I'm not trying to scam ppl in trying to understand all these made-up technical terms thrown around here. All I understand is that I have a EH9 with its d16z6.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by P-M-B,93EXsedan
What if I get am given an empty block that says b18c5, and install a LS crank, a nice forged copy of LS rods, and some about 12:1 forged pistons?
Then it would be a c5(ITR) block with 12:1 C/R pistons I have a b20v(b20 block/gsr head) with 12:1's 85x89mm so just over 2.0l of displacement pro 1 cams etc pushed a nice 248/162.

But once you start messing with pistons etc it doesn't matter as much what the block it is, especially if you sleeve it/swapping cranks then all that c5 c1 b1 **** goes out the door more or less.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

So if I take an 1.8a/b shortblock w/ high compression pistons, and put a built b16 head on it I really can't call that a fake type r without ppl here complaining about my irregular use of jargon?
i may be mistaken but it seems to me like there arnt major differences between a factory 1.8 block w/ 1.6head and if have an engine builder do it.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's called an LSV....I don't get what's so bad about a term EVERONE uses, wrong there never were a1/b1 blocks with a 1.6l head on them from the factory thus the required extras to get a hybrid lsv/b20v going. The itr head has light factory porting and valve job along with different cams and valve springs+ retainers then the regular b16a1/2 etc heads.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

B18 LS blocks are not the same as the P72 (B18C/B18C1/B18C5/B16B) block. The B18A/B has slightly higher displacement and is taller.

Don't "fake type R" anything. It's the lamest thing possible.

A real B18C-R or B18C5 has a fairly long list of features that make it unique. Lighter rotating assembly, it has oil squirters (non VTEC blocks do not), some years have a hand ported head, more agressive cams and valve train, higher comp pistons, carefully balanced crank (crank weighs more than gsr crank), oil cooler, etc.

It's not just a B18 block and a B16 head.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:26 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

B18 + B16 head = poor man's ITR

But if you're going to strip out all the internals and replace everything, its just an LS/VTEC at that point. I dont get the whole "Type R" craze...

Originally Posted by B serious
Don't "fake type R" anything. It's the lamest thing possible.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Schister66
B18 + B16 head = poor man's ITR

But if you're going to strip out all the internals and replace everything, its just an LS/VTEC at that point. I dont get the whole "Type R" craze...

A B18C(1) with a B16 head is a "poor man's type R".

The type R craze is because ***** see type R's as the fastest and rarest model available.

If you really look into it, though, every single type R model car is refined into something amazing. I'm not being sarcastic. All those small and seemingly insignificant differences add up to something substantial. There's a lot of careful engineering and precision that goes into anything that's "type R". Nobody gives a **** about that though. Lol.

I definitely do. After having owned an ITR (01-624), I really can appreciate it. OEM Type R parts are like track/race ready parts with Honda fit, finish, quality, and low cost. **** straight amazes me.

All these fruitcakes on the internet want to "clone" type R cars or parts do it so half assedly. Apparently, a RSX or Integra with a spoiler is a "Type R" or "Type R clone", as indicated by the "Type R" stickers on the side. Same goes with GSR rotating assemblies with a B16 head. How the f#&k is that a type R clone motor? That'd be like cloning a sheep and coming out with a cabbage and saying "same thing, right?!!".

/rant
Old 03-13-2014, 05:39 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Take a b16 head, add sexy cams, valves & springs, P&P. Take a b18 block, add forged rods and pistons, maybe a crank, an oil cooler, whatever other accessories you like..

what do I call this? I wanna call it a type-r cuz thats what Honda called a b16 head on a b18 block. If I sand the stamps off, what would you call it?
what if use a regular Integra crank and matching forged rods and 12:1 pistons?

i really hate saying LS when referring to a Honda cuz the GM LS engine kicks lots of *** it has their version of i-vtec now, matching the MPG of our engines in a multi-ton truck. With lots more power&torque.
When referring to a GM MOTOR I'm sure they say LS1 and so on or be specific and say " the gm LS motor" and "Acura LS b18 motor". That way people won't get confused.

Each Honda b-series motor is built differently that is why they all have different names. B16A2, B18C1, B18C5 and jdm counterparts B16A, B18C(SIR-G AND TYPE R). There are different variations of the TYPE R motor as well and you might even find them with a different #.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:54 AM

Lol...OP, every company has their own version of variable valve timing.

What does GM's VVT have anything to do with a LS integra B18B block? You think when you say that your car has "LS VTEC", someone is going to think you have a LS1 with 2 Honda heads on it? Cuz that would be dope. And nobody's going to think that.

Would it make you feel better to call it RS VTEC? GS VTEC? SE VTEC?

BTW...do GM LS engines really have variable valve timing now? How? Theres 1 cam for 8 cylinders. How would you run variable timing? I know they don't have variable lift. Do they? That'd be a ridiculously fast engine. No....they don't. Again, its 1 cam for 8 cylinders.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it so important to call it something?

I usually refer to mine as "my engine", unless someone asks for specifics. I guess I could call it Mike or Jeff as well, but kids might not think it's cool?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:09 AM
no one wants to hear the truth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_EG
Why is it so important to call it something?

I usually refer to mine as "my engine", unless someone asks for specifics. I guess I could call it Mike or Jeff as well, but kids might not think it's cool?
Op is new to ricerdom
Old 03-13-2014, 08:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by cetcivic
Op is new to ricerdom
What's up fellow black man?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread made me sick
Old 03-13-2014, 10:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm new to these little high performance Hondas. I kno the Toyotas better, 5 valve per cylinder (black) or factory supercharged (Z) 1.6s for the lil-high output engines. If I had the money to make a real track car it'd be a supra, but then id probably still leave it as prostreet instead of caged, gutted, harness, etc

@b serious the LS engines do have VVT. The oil pressure actuates the cam, and there's cylinder bank deactivation just as Honda advertised in the 2005+ v6s. Like you said tho they're not over head cam and only 2 valve per cylinder vs the japanese/german 4 or 5 valves and 1-2 cams. so they cant have 1 intake valve doing one thing and another doing something else
Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM

@b serious the LS engines do have VVT. The oil pressure actuates the cam, and there's cylinder bank deactivation just as Honda advertised in the 2005+ v6s. Like you said tho they're not over head cam and only 2 valve per cylinder vs the japanese/german 4 or 5 valves and 1-2 cams. so they cant have 1 intake valve doing one thing and another doing something else

So...they're changing the cam timing for the entire motor all at once? Intake and exhaust cams for all 8 cylinders? Just....change timing across the board? Seems crazy. Honda has iVTEC on their SOHC V6. But I'm not sure that it means the same thing as the iVTEC on the K series.

Not that any of that is relevant. Just interesting.

VTEC and iVTEC mean and do different things, BTW.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:55 AM

To put it in familar terms, iVTEC works either like VVTLi or VVTi on toyotas. It depends on the engine. But it's all called iVTEC.

VTEC always means timing AND lift AND duration change. But there are usually only 2 settings. High cam on or high cam off.

There are weird variations of VTEC that operate a different amount of valves also. VTEC-E is what this is called.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:10 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

@b serious
yeah the cam is adjusted for low-rpm to increase torque, and adjusted at high-rpm to increase power. They're not as good as the Japanese at the technology, being that the japs pioneered it and have been using it for what, 20 years? I still think its funny that the lean-burn Vtec-e from about 20 years ago still has much better MPG than anything America can produce even the hybrid cars
Old 03-13-2014, 11:15 AM

Chevy cruze eco gets 40+ MPG, doesn't it? Plus it has CRAZY things like cruise control, safety features, AC, PS, real back seats, and...more than 50-100hp.

Then again, so does the civic EX.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:26 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

@b serious
yeah the cam is adjusted for low-rpm to increase torque, and adjusted at high-rpm to increase power. They're not as good as the Japanese at the technology, being that the japs pioneered it and have been using it for what, 20 years? I still think its funny that the lean-burn Vtec-e from about 20 years ago still has much better MPG than anything America can produce even the hybrid cars
You need to look into why the hybrid cars of today have trouble getting high mileage numbers. Hint, look at the weight of vehicles today and why they weigh what they do.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 AM

Consumers are also a lot more demanding. Car gets 50mpg but has no fu#&ing power windows, or arctic AC, or 75 power outlets, or a 60" TV DVD NAV monitor?!! Non seller. Banned for life from all ports.

Plus safety and emissions constraints. Nobody's driving lean burn NOx emitting shoe boxes like the 96-00 Civic HX anymore.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by B serious
Consumers are also a lot more demanding. Car gets 50mpg but has no fu#&ing power windows, or arctic AC, or 75 power outlets, or a 60" TV DVD NAV monitor?!! Non seller. Banned for life from all ports.

Plus safety and emissions constraints. Nobody's driving lean burn NOx emitting shoe boxes like the 96-00 Civic HX anymore.
Yeah the NOx is the bad part, but manufacturers are switching to Direct Injection and those have high NOx output. I would drive it, i like the idea of a car with a motorcycle sized engine that actually gets motorcycle MPG. I'm actually trying to find a civic coupe without power windows etc right now. My EX sedan is fully loaded sunroof etc, it would be nice to have ventilated/heated power seats tho
Old 03-13-2014, 03:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Do the ITR oil squirters make a worthwhile difference? If i rev a (a)(b) block over nine thousand RPMs is it gonna have oil starvation? I wonder if thats a common problem or not for ppl with fast non-vtec shortblocks

Quick Reply: confused about dual cam engines