Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Confirming Some Things About Building a GSR W/ LS Crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default Confirming Some Things About Building a GSR W/ LS Crank

Haven't done this before, and just want to clarify a few things before moving forward:

89mm crank drops right into GSR block after blocking oil squirters
If I intend to use a girdle, I'll have to have it machined/line honed with the block, and must use P72 mains
Use rods for the LS engine
Compression ratio estimates should be used on the assumption of LS/VTEC off the shelf calculations
No VTEC conversion kit or sandwich plate will be needed for oil supply to the head

Anything I'm missing here or that I'm wrong about?
Old 12-03-2017, 04:55 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Confirming Some Things About Building a GSR W/ LS Crank

You don't have to align hone with the LS crank with the GS-R girdle. I just did mine that way because the car was going to circuit more than street.

Everything else you stated was correct
Old 12-03-2017, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You don't have to align hone with the LS crank with the GS-R girdle. I just did mine that way because the car was going to circuit more than street.

Everything else you stated was correct
Thank you Shodan.

This one should be interesting.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG

This one should be interesting.
I'm in!

Old 12-03-2017, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Also, you don't have to get rid of the oil squirters... they can be bent slightly to clear the crankshaft counter weights. Use the GSR block/head combination in your compression calculations WITH a 89mm crankshaft instead of the stock 87.2mm GSR crankshaft. The block deck heights are slightly different between the GSR and LS blocks...
Old 12-04-2017, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
I'm in!

This is for my personal car, I'll have some updates this upcoming weekend. Just waiting on finances and getting a lot of parts moved around. Going to try changing my plans up just a bit.

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Also, you don't have to get rid of the oil squirters... they can be bent slightly to clear the crankshaft counter weights. Use the GSR block/head combination in your compression calculations WITH a 89mm crankshaft instead of the stock 87.2mm GSR crankshaft. The block deck heights are slightly different between the GSR and LS blocks...
I'll be going with forged internals regardless so I'm not too concerned about the squirters. I thought all non-B16a/B17 blocks were 212mm in deck height?

And I'll also be using a B16 head with this, so that changes things a bit. GSR block, B16A head, LS crank.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

LS crank gets you stroke, yes? But you need to use LS rods to fit the GSR block?

And then what pistons?

Sorry, probably in a FAQ somewhere. Never thought about this until I seen your thread...
Old 12-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
LS crank gets you stroke, yes? But you need to use LS rods to fit the GSR block?

And then what pistons?

Sorry, probably in a FAQ somewhere. Never thought about this until I seen your thread...
Yeah, the LS crank will get you stroke just like it would with an LS/VTEC setup, but by using a GSR block we eliminate the need for a VTEC conversion kit, oil lines, sandwich plate...

Since all B18 engines share a common deck height of 212mm, and we're using an LS crank, LS rods are a direct drop in. Any B series pistons that fit the bore will work, just a matter of doing a proper job of calculating clearances and compression ratios. If you use a GSR head then we can just use off the shelf compression ratio estimates for an LS/VTEC setup with a GSR head. If you use a B16 head, GSR block, and LS crank then things get a little more complicated but you'd still be ballparking the same numbers.

Basically found out I made an error buying my parts car in a dark busy parking lot at 10PM on a Friday, I don't have a B16 trans like I initially thought (S80, it's either an LS/GSR or very unlikely an ITR trans). Basically going to be doing some shuffling around with my parts here soon and if I have an opportunity to sell the complete B16 from my build thread I'll go ahead and do it.

I'll be getting some work done on the project car this weekend so hopefully I'll have an update then, but need to make some decisions on how I'll be moving forward.